Cameras forum

Question

canon t4i vs mirrorless

by jplv / October 28, 2012 11:41 AM PDT

If you want a camera that offers good picture quality,features,good video but without the size of dslr,is any of the mirrorless that outperform the t4i

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: canon t4i vs mirrorless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: canon t4i vs mirrorless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Mirrorless
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 12:47 PM PDT

Smaller and lighter.
The camera makers were thinking of you when they developed the mirrorless DSLR camera.
Will they outperform the Canon T4i ... No.
But they can perform as well as the T4i.

The difference is they cannot duplicate the advantages of the through-the-lens (TTL) optical view.
That being the very clear image through the viewfinder that makes it easy to do a manual focus, the ability to see the view with a brighter aperature setting than the setting the camera will use for that picture and generally the better low light performance of the viewfinder.

Your next question is likely to be "which mirrorless camera performs the best".
Very few people can answer that question accurately because very few people have used all of those cameras.
The most knowledgeable people are the people who do digital camera reviews because they have used more cameras. So you should read all of the reviews you can find and decide which is better for you.

Video is generally pretty good on DSLR cameras, but audio is generally poor.
Video/Audio is treated as an after thought and they don't want to make the audio better because it will increase the cost of the camera.

There will soon be a very few amateur cameras on the market that will combine the good features of the DSLR camera and a Camcorder. But the price will be well over $2,000, the more professional models will run over $10,000.

Collapse -
canon t4i vs mirrorless
by jplv / October 29, 2012 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Mirrorless

the sony alpha nex 7 has an optical viewfinder,how do you match the nex 7 against the t4i in picture quality,features and overall performance ,I guess I'm asking which camera is better or which camera would you pick

Collapse -
Answer
re: canon t4i vs mirrorless
by MarkatNite / October 29, 2012 11:47 AM PDT

Personally, for video, I prefer my (hacked) GH2 over my T4i. (Yes, I own and use both cameras.) The GH2 is smaller, AF works with more lenses (note: I'm only counting STM lenses for the T4i.), and when hacked, the GH2 captures much higher quality video. I also find the GH2's MF Assist mode more accurate than the unassisted optical viewfinder on the T4i especially with my Voigtlander 17mm f0.95 lens on the GH2. And I find the live histogram in the GH2's EVF very helpful.

IMO the only thing the GH2 is missing is (5 axis) IBIS like the Olympus E-M5 - Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.