Cameras forum

Question

Canon t3i "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"

by Collinbxyz / January 12, 2013 11:39 AM PST

As stated by the title, I have been having a problem with my week-old Canon EOS Rebel t3i. Now I've been attempting to record video with it, as that is the main reason that I purchased this camera, but I keep getting an error.

After recording video for roughly 30 seconds-3 minutes (Depending upon randomness as far as I can tell, as well as quality; 1080p vs 480p, etc.), it stops and an error pops of saying, "Movie recording has been stopped automatically".

Before responding, note that I have researched this already. I have a SanDisk 16GB Ultra Class 10 SDHC 30MB/s (bought in store). I freshly format the card before recording. The most frustrating thing is that it was working only a few days ago... I don't think I've done anything unusual that would cause this, but I may be wrong.

Please tell me if I left out any relevant information. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon t3i "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon t3i "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Canon Video
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 12:17 AM PST

There are limitations to how long you can record.
Look in the Instruction Manual at pages 150 and 151.

When you format the card you MUST format the card with the CAMERA and NOT with the Computer.
See page 45 of the Instruction Manual to see how to format with the Camera.

Collapse -
Video
by Collinbxyz / January 13, 2013 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Canon Video

I understand that, but it only records for a minute or two, not the 11 or so minutes that the manual says.

I DO format the card with the camera, not the computer.

Collapse -
Video
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: Video

I keep thinking that the camera must think that there is little space left on the card.

Time for an experiment:

First - there are so many things you can set on that camera, there may be something set that is causing the problem. It is time to reset the camera to factory default settings.
Go to page 176 and reset the camera to default.
Then check the movie recording length and see if the problem is resolved.

Second - Put the card into a card reader on your computer and check its capacity.
Use Windows Explorer and in the left panel you should find the card listed under "Computer".
Right Click on the card (which may be called "removeable disk").
It should show you a pie chart showing the Used Space and the Free Space.

What do you find there?

Collapse -
Video
by Collinbxyz / January 13, 2013 6:57 AM PST

1. I already tried resetting to factory settings. It didn't change anything.

2. I'm on mac, but I still found essentially the same thing (Just no pie chart).

Format: MS-DOS (FAT32)
Capacity: 15.92 GB
Available: 15.83 GB
Used: 89,948,160 bytes (89.9 MB on disk)

Hopefully this helps. Thanks for the response Happy

Collapse -
Video
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:05 AM PST

Looks like you had already done a good job of troubleshooting.
What you got from the Mac looks like what I would expect.

It looks like something is broken and now you need to find out if it is the card or the camera.

The easiest way is to try a different card.

If you find that that a different card fails in the same manner, you need to contact Canon Support.
You have a one year warranty from Canon.

Collapse -
Video
by Collinbxyz / January 14, 2013 7:50 AM PST

Hmm... currently the only other card that I have is class 2, so I don't think that would help.

I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the help.

Collapse -
Try the class 2 anyway.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 7:54 AM PST

At lower data rates it's OK.

Collapse -
Works!
by Collinbxyz / January 14, 2013 11:32 AM PST

The class 2 card works! I'm glad it's not the camera, but the question now is, why does the class 10 card not work?

It worked last week, and I don't think I changed anything. I hope there's a way of fixing it, since I don't want to have wasted money on a pretty good card.

Thanks for the help everyone Happy

Collapse -
Too many cards are counterfeit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Works!

Sorry but it's one of those issues you will encounter. Take any class card, relabel and sell it.
Bob

Collapse -
Card
by Collinbxyz / January 14, 2013 9:18 PM PST

Even though it was bought in Best Buy?

Collapse -
Even more so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Card
Collapse -
Mac...
by Collinbxyz / January 15, 2013 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Even more so.

That's Windows only... as I stated earlier, I'm on a mac, so I can't download it.

Collapse -
(NT) I'm sure you have friends with Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Even more so.
Collapse -
Answer
re: t3i "Movie recording has been stopped automatically"
by MarkatNite / January 13, 2013 8:12 AM PST

Sounds to me like either the card went bad or the connections to the card are not up to par. Unfortunately, the only real way to test this is with another SD card. If it happens with the second card, the problem is in the camera; if not, the problem is with the first card.

But in every case I've ever seen or heard of, that message is caused by the camera's buffer filling up, which in turn is caused by one of the two situations above.

HTH - Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I have a T3i too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:15 AM PST

And I know this does not help but it's fine here. HOWEVER I have a few ideas.

1. Switch the camera to one of the creative modes and reset the camera settings back to stock. (try again)
2. Is the recording area very loud? I have yet to record in say a rock band situation but there was a digital camcorder that could not record in loud places. And for that camera the fix was to muffle the sound with sound absorber over the mic. No. I do not know if this applies to the T3i. I only bring it up because it's something I look for.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Video
by Collinbxyz / January 14, 2013 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: I have a T3i too.

There is very little noise in my test shoots, so I don't think it has anything to do with the noise.

Thanks for the suggestion though Happy

Collapse -
(NT) If the reset didn't help. I'd try another card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
More info
by Collinbxyz / January 14, 2013 7:55 AM PST

One thing that I forgot to mention was that I got the camera refurbished. I'm not sure if this is relevant, since it's likely just the card, but I figured I'd add this in case it helps. Thanks.

Collapse -
Did you do the reset noted? As a T3i owner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: More info

I know I confused my camera (or me?) and had to start over.

Collapse -
Answer
Card
by Collinbxyz / January 16, 2013 8:04 AM PST

Here's the card in case it helps.

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://imgur.com/rqx1s
<span>

The small scratching was done a few days before this error began, so that isn't the problem.

Collapse -
Still need to test it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Card
Collapse -
Results
by Collinbxyz / January 16, 2013 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Still need to test it.

I finally managed to test it. It took so long because I had to use a program other than h2testw, which proved fairly difficult.

The results:

Average writing speed: 8.11 MB/s
Average reading speed: 26.31 MB/s
Data OK: 14.83 GB (31096128 sectors)
Data LOST: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Corrupted: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Slightly changed: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Overwritten: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)

Collapse -
Looks low. Write speed that is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 2:23 PM PST
In reply to: Results
Collapse -
New Card
by Collinbxyz / January 17, 2013 4:52 AM PST

Yeah, I think I'm going to be getting a new card for video, and keep my current one for photography, since it's still 16GB and has a pretty good read speed.

What do you suggest I get? I'm hesitant about getting SanDisk again.

I was thinking this, but I'm not sure. I also don't know which sellers I should avoid, so if you could inform me on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for all of the help Happy

Collapse -
I have this one. Same page?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: New Card
Collapse -
Test result.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 6:06 AM PST

Warning: Only 1000 of 30883 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 14.6 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Now I know my laptop's SD Card reader is slow, so a read with a Transcend card reader on USB 2.0 gets me:
Reading speed: 18.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

ONE MORE TIME but writing on the Transcend SD card reader on USB 2.0 port:
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 15.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Difference?
by Collinbxyz / January 17, 2013 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Test result.

Looks good, but is there a significant difference between that and the one I pointed out?

Oh, and I'm looking at 16GB not 32GB, not that this changes much.

Collapse -
Sorry. I don't have a 16GB card to test with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Difference?

I thought the 32GB card of the same make and model might interest you. Also the fact is that I pulled it from my T3i to do this test would help.

Sorry but let's see if anyone can get this card and test it for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Canon Video Answer
by allstater09 / July 11, 2014 7:01 AM PDT

I along with the rest of you have had the same issue. There is nothing wrong with your Canon Rebel T3i. You are only using the wrong sd card. For example, I was using the San Disk Ultra(30m/s, class 10, 16 gb). I contacted Canon tech support they told me to get another card. Specifically a slower one. Feeling uncertain on which specific card I should use for my camera(T3i), I instead called San Disk tech support and they answered my question. The issue was I had a sd card that had a fast read speed but not a fast write speed. I kept getting the "buffering meter" on the right hand side of my display. The reason being, my camera needed and sd card that had a faster write speed. The best sd card for the canon T3i is the Extreme/ExtremePlus and faster.

Collapse -
How I fixed T3i issue of not being able to record video
by CluffRN / August 9, 2015 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon Video Answer

I had the same issue when I was trying to take video with my Canon T3i. I even bought a SanDisk Class 10 32gb. The problem kept happening. After hours of research, I found the issue is with the speed. With the newest upgrades to sd cards, I suggest getting the above disk, WITH ONE EXCEPTION, MAKE SURE IT IS @ LEAST : UHS 1 and can write up to 90MB/s. At least that way it also works on any other of your video or digital cameras that you purchase in the future!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HIKBW1G/ref=pd_aw_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FTTE1R3B9KSVVZAFQXY

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.