Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon SD500 vs. Sony P200

by windsurfer / February 24, 2005 2:49 AM PST

I am torn between a Sony P200 or Canon SD500. The feature comparison leads me towards the Canon SD500 but I am scared by the pricing. The Sony is at a $350 or so price now and the Canon's list price is $499. I am guessing that the street price will be around $450.

Picture quality wise the Canon may have an edge if the Canon S70 is representative. The question is is it worth an extra $100 to get the camera I want or should I accept one nearly as good in the Sony?

Any comments regarding Sony vs. Canon and the expectation of street pricing would be helpful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SD500 vs. Sony P200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SD500 vs. Sony P200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's nothing more expensive than...
by LangeA6 / February 25, 2005 9:07 PM PST

There's nothing more expensive than the item you purchased INSTEAD of the item you really wanted.

"The question is is it worth an extra $100 to get the camera I want or should I accept one nearly as good in the Sony?"

Point of fact, if the extra $100 is going to the break the bank, you can't afford either one!

Collapse -
Great words of wisdom
by windsurfer / February 26, 2005 2:26 AM PST

That is exactly why I did not buy the Sony when it was a bargain. I am waiting for the Canon to come out and then read the reviews.

I would always be thinking that I wish I had the Canon if I bought the Sony. In reality both cameras are probably good but it is the psychological part that matters.

There will always be better cameras coming out all the time so it is important not to rush a purchasing decision. Also you should touch and feel the camera to be sure it is what you want.

Collapse -
ab out sd500
by rtdunham--2008 / February 26, 2005 4:21 AM PST

first of all, what i read suggests 499 is the STREET price ("The PowerShot SD400 Digital ELPH Camera will be available in April and the PowerShot SD500 Digital ELPH will be available in March for estimated street prices of $399.99*, and $499.99* respectively.")

i've got the sd300 now and have been very pleased but the sd400 interests me a lot, it has numerous new features extending the capabilities & res of the 300.

the 500's improvements beyond the 400 are a larger sensor and higher res; the tradeoff (with the 400) is the larger size & 35% greater weight.

the sd 400 cofnorms to my 300's dimensions & weight and introduces the following improvements over the 300: better LCD (brighter; instant-bright feature; lower power cons); night light for framing; USB 2.0 (could be the MOST important improvement of all); 5.0MP compared to 4.0; "my colors" feature; digi zoom on movies; rotate vert shots on viewer, wakeup from sleep when picked up; and--i THINK on the 400 as well as the 500--the "hold" feature that allows you to delete the pic just taken without reverting to the viewer.

so many nice features, our purchase decisions are always complicated. I agree though with the observation about not pinching pennies and punishing paul.

Collapse -
Sony P-200
by Donato777 / July 15, 2005 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ab out sd500

Before you get bowled over by the Canon brand name, read the user reviews everywhere for each camera. I, too, was considering the SD500 initially. After reading every review I could get my eyes on, and the problem with broken LCD's, I steered clear and bought the Sony P-200 instead. It is a great camera and let's not forget that Sony also has brand name attraction!!!!

Collapse -
Brand Name Attraction?
by LadyLeo / July 27, 2005 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony P-200

Sony has no better brand name than Canon - I have the SD500 and it's a fabulous camera. I don't like Sony products because Sony is narrow minded in that they have only one type of memory--the Sony memory stick. My SD500, my Toshiba PDA, my camcorder and a couple other items all use the same SD memory card. I like to "steer clear" of companies that try to force limited technology. Sony might have a good name, but Canon is a leader in cameras, lenses *and* technology---that's why I went with the Canon SD500. Though, all in all, the bottom line is: If you are happy with your purchase, you made a good decision.

Collapse -
You were right about Sony!!!
by Donato777 / July 27, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Brand Name Attraction?

I am eating crow and liking it because you were quite right about Sony - or at least their products. After buying and using the P-200, I discovered a thread at in the Sony Talk forum about the many problems with dust getting into the lens of the P-200 and other Sony digital cameras! It read like a consumer's nightmare, soooooo....I returned the camera for a refund and I plan to buy the SD500!!!!

Collapse -
by nnaik21 / July 27, 2005 3:17 AM PDT

imo, the p200 does everything the canon can do. I like the camera a lot. Great size and quality. I don't think spending the extra money is worth it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.