Cameras

General discussion

Canon SD300

by redeemer988 / December 12, 2005 11:00 AM PST

This camera has recently gone on sale and is price quite well at $299.99 Canadian, so after taxes it will come out to around $345.00 which is quite a great price considering it was priced at $399.99 before the sale. Now I have seen nothing but praise for this camera from many reviews sites. However, I have to concerns. This camera is to be used by me, my brother, and my sister who are all younger, meaning don't take care of electronics that well. I just want to know how fragile this LCD really is. I've noticed that it's people's main gripe with the camera. Is this something that I really need to be concerned with? Or as long as it's treated with common gentle care it should survive? Also, the camera is over a year older now, is their any point in buying a camera this old? I don't want to buy something that's already out dated or will be out dated with the coming months.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon SD300
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon SD300
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SD300
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 12, 2005 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Canon SD300

The biggest danger you have with this camera is that someone is going to drop it.

It slips easily into a shirt pocket and it just as easily, slips out of a shirt pocket.

The complaints about the LCD cracking have just about gone away. I still think there was an assembly problem in the factory and it has been corrected.

Canon is a master in not leaking information about new cameras.

Since the SD400 and SD500 have been updated to the SD450 and SD550, it makes sense that an update to the SD200 and SD300 is in the future.

When will it happen.......Canon won't tell you.

Collapse -
sd300
by rtdunham--2008 / December 13, 2005 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Canon SD300

my guess is the sd300 will be discontinued: teh sd400 WAS the update of that model, imho, and the sd450 the next in that line. I'd suggest you watch for sales on the SD450: I paid 349 for my 400 in july, and just found a 450--the newer, better model--for only 299. These are US$ but corresponding cuts will occur in your country as well.

Advantages to waiting: the 400 has higher res., which is always an asset. And the 450 has a much, much bigger LCD, which makes the camera much better for use as a mobile electronic photo album.

RE: DEPENDABILITY
My family's owned two sd300s, a 400, and now a 450. Several have been in use two years. I carried mine in a pocket probably half the time, so it bumped into things, jostled, etc., on a regular basis (it WAS kept in canon's leather case).
The only loss occurred when i set my 300 on my lap for a moment on a canoe trip and it slipped between my legs and into less than an inch of water in the bottom of the canoe. I recovered it within a second or two but it never would start up again, and when i sent it in for repair it was returned "unrepairable" with a color pic of the mother board inside, thick with corrosion from the immersion.
You can get a NECK strap, thin, unobtrusive, and that's what i've done: when the camera comes out of the case, it goes around my neck.

you can't go wrong with any of the canon SD line though. Enjoy!
Terry

Collapse -
where?
by jj300 / December 13, 2005 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: sd300

can you share where you found that price for the new 450? lowest I found was $340

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.