Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon S5IS Versus Canon G9

by masterying01 / August 26, 2007 4:46 PM PDT

I have had a SD500 for quite some time now. I do a lot of close up shooting, and some far away shooting of buildings and stuff. i feel very limited by the sd500. i would like the ability to adjust apature, iso, and other stuff which i can't do with the sd500.

i've compared specs from canon's website and the main difference seems to be the S5IS has IS, a swivel screen, and a longer zoom...while the g9 has higher megalpixel (which doesnt matter for my use), a LITTLE higher of a shutter speed, and the ability to shoot RAW images.

i think the s5is will be plenty for me. but i was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions or reviews that will help me make a decision. thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon S5IS Versus Canon G9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon S5IS Versus Canon G9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon S5IS and Canon G9
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 27, 2007 11:20 AM PDT

I found a comparison of specifications for the S5IS and the older G7.
The G9 is too new and there is no review available yet.

Notice the green link (to a review) right under the photo of the camera in each column:

These two camera can produce excellent photos.
The main difference is the Megapixels and the optical zoom.
The S5IS is physically larger.

I suggest you go to a camera store and get your hands on both.
See if one fits your hand better than the other.

Collapse -
G9 has other advantages too
by Emilio2000 / September 1, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

Yes, the S5IS has a more powerful zoom, but overall the Canon G9 is a more versatile camera, because of the following features:

1. Smaller size. The G9 will fit into a larger pocket, making it easier to carry around all the time.

2. Underwater case. This is optional, and it costs extra, but if you ever want to take the G9 snorkeling, surfing, diving to 130 feet, or evn just dunking it into your fish-tank for a closeup of your gold-fish, it's important that a waterproof case is available for the camera. There is no underwater case available for the S5IS, but there is one for the G9.

3. Add-on lenses are available for the G9, both a wide angle and a telephoto lens. This may compensate for the slight advantage of the S5IS's more powerful zoom. Actually, a 6x magnification power is pretty amazing by itself. Some 15 years ago, I paid big money for a 3x lens for my film SLR camera, and that lens was huge and heavy. Now, the Canon G6 offers a 6x zoom lens that is comparatively small, light and portable, and you can increase it's range with a 2X add-on, doubling your zoom to 12x. Yes, the S5IS can also use add-on lenses, ... but the point is that the G9 is truly versatile, and can even get the extended zoom range, if you really need more than the 6X provided.

4. More Megapixels on the G9. 12 Megapixels on the G9 versus only 8 on the S5IS. Granted, that may be overkill for most purposes. But, the greater number of pixels allows you the flexibility to digitally zoom in and/or crop the picture. Yes, you will lose some of the resolution, but you have plenty of resolution to spare! A few years ago, with only 3 or 4 MP cameras, I NEVER used the digital zoom, and advised others to disable it too. But, with a 12 MP camera, you can afford to use a 2X or even 4x digital zoom. Of course, this will lower you megapixel count by half, to only about 6 MP, but you will have an effective zoom range of up from 6x to 12X (on the Canon G9). Actually, the digital zoom can increase the zoom power 4-fold, ... but I would still advise to use it sparingly. The point is that a 12-MP camera gives yout this added flexibility, so you don't have to worry about the digital zoom. Use it when necessary.

5. Longer lasting Batteries. This is a toss-up. The Canon G9 uses Lithium ion batteries, which are better overall. They will allow you to take 240 shots (with the LCD screen on), as compared to only 170 shots on the Canon S5IS.
On the other hand, the Canon S5IS, even though it uses the less efficient NiMH rechargeable batteries, it does give you the option to use regular AA batteries instead, which can be a welcome feature if you find yourself at a place where there's no reliable power supply to recharge your batteries.

Overall, points 2 - 5 may be only minor issues. Maybe the biggest difference is in the size of the camera. If you want a camera that is always with you, it's a lot easier to carry a smaller and lighter camera such as the Canon G9. But, if zoom power is the most important factor for you, then go with the S5IS.

Collapse -
by masterying01 / September 1, 2007 5:47 PM PDT

thanks for the thorough reply. i actually didnt realize the G9 wasnt going to be out until i'm sure you'll see 130940 more of these threads after that. but i will definitely be holding it in my hands before i make my decision. thanks.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.