Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon Remove cassette error message

by rickscript / April 2, 2005 8:53 AM PST

I am the owner of 2 Canon Elura 2MC mini dv digital video camcorders. Both of my cameras have developed a problem common to the Canon Elura, Optura and ZR series of camcorders, but also present in the GL series. After a certain amount of use, the camera refuses to accept tapes for playback or recording and flashes a message on the screen saying "Remove Cassette". At this point the camera is virtually useless and very costly to repair. After reading several forums on this isuue, it is apparent that this is a very significant problem affecting many users. In many cases, the problem re-occurs after a short time. Canon has known about this issue for years, has not corrected it satisfactorily, and denies the existence of the problem at all. If you have not purchased a Canon video camera yet, research this issue a bit more and save yourself some money. If you own one of these "lemons", I would like to direct you to a web-site I have created called "Canon 'Remove Cassette' Action". I am doing some preliminary efforts to gather names of affected owners with an interest in pursuing legal action to obtain relief from Canon. Like all manufacturers who make tidy profits from produced goods, they should be held responsible for design defects that affect a disproportionate percent of owners. the link/URL to my site is:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Remove cassette error message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Remove cassette error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did they fail to ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 9:28 AM PST

1. Perform during the warranty?

2. Did you perform any maintenance during your ownership?

3. Specifically, what agreement did they not perform on?

Collapse -
Here's a tip
by tomh / April 8, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

Use the mini DV tape as a capture format only!

These cassette mechanisms are very intricate and delicate. Take a look at it next time you change a tape! This technology won't even be around much longer.

Record the moment on tape, export it to the computer via firewire, and then leave the tape alone! Do your editing, and then burn a DVD to watch it. Who the hell can watch these movies unedited anyway! Get a DVD copy program and backup your DVDs periodically. Many of the tapes I just throw out after I've recorded and exported. I don't even rewind them in the camcorder. Save some older camcorder for rewinding and playing if you must wear the mechanism out.

Collapse -
Good Advice, but
by sbnyc / July 12, 2006 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's a tip

For a brand new camera??!! This is a design flaw, I fear. Remove Cassette? I'd LOVE to, but the tape will not eject!!! AARRRGGGHHHH!

The little door that covers the mem. chip broke the first day--the little inside button is so flimsy--I have to use a piece of tape to keep it closed!!!

Good thing I bought a 2 yr let's see if it has any teeth!!

Canon--or--Can not?

I am a photographer, and I did not go heavy handed with this camera, either. I am angry.

Collapse -
Exact same problem
by buck5ter / June 10, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

I'm on my second elura 50, also called an mv6i in the UK. The first was puchased in the US and failed after 6 months of minor use (2 1hr cassettes).

Canon lost it when it was returned for reapir under warranty. 5 months later Canon sent us a brand new UK version, MV6i. This one has failed after just 35mins of footage.

Not only do we get the 'remove cassette' error, if we get a cassette to stay in the footage is broken up, pixellated and totally unwatchable.

I am so annoyed as we bought the camera to film our daughetr growing up. We got her between 1 - 7 months OK. She's now 20 months and we have no usable footage for the last 8 months.

Anybody thinking of buying a Canon camcorder MUST google for the following:

"remove cassette" error canon

Collapse -
Can often be sorted.
by 999picklepuss / February 24, 2014 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Exact same problem

It's usually just the idler gear drag friction that is too light. Replace with a C revision idler gear or bodge-up the original by increasing the normal force by bending the three-legged copper rotor. If there's too much friction the output signal will be poor from low tape speed so bend outwards a little until a good signal is achieved.

Collapse -
Just FYI.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Can often be sorted.

thread is more than 3249 days old.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.