Cameras forum

Canon Rebel T3i for Automotive Blog?

by RiseAgainst94 / January 4, 2013 12:25 PM PST

My brother plans on creating his own automotive video blogs and was wondering if the Canon Rebel T3i would be sufficient. His price range is anywhere under $600 and would primarily use the T3i for when he shows off the cars features from the outside (not live action). He would, naturally, use the T3i with a microphone for added audio quality and would upload the videos for viewing on Youtube.

If you all could suggest any video cameras that would provide higher quality video at around the same price range that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on live action camera around $300 that he could use to mount to the car (currently looking at the GoPro Hero 2 or 3 silver) that would also help immensely.

I apologize if a similar topic has already been posted, this is my first forum post.
Thanks everyone.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Rebel T3i for Automotive Blog?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Rebel T3i for Automotive Blog?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Digital Camera Vs. Camcorder
by RiseAgainst94 / January 4, 2013 12:31 PM PST

I'm also curious as to whether or not it would be better to buy $500-600 dedicated camcorder as opposed to the T3i or any other Digital Camera?

Collapse -
re: Digital Camera Vs. Camcorder
by MarkatNite / January 5, 2013 8:14 AM PST

Yes, you're almost always better off shooting video with a dedicated video camera. In this particular case, I would probably recommend something from either the Canon VIXIA or Sony Handycam lines. And keep in mind that I say this as someone who's been shooting video on hybrid photo/video cameras since the GH1 came out (and who currently shoots video on a GH2 and T4i).

Collapse -
Small world. I own the T3i.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 12:36 PM PST

It makes nice videos so why not try it? I have not tried another mic since I have a nice audio recorder that I can splice in the audio in post production.

Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / January 4, 2013 2:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Bad Link
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: T3i

The link you posted is not available

Collapse -
re: Bad Link
by MarkatNite / January 5, 2013 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Bad Link

Looks like something went wonky with the forum's auto-link function. (Specifically, it dropped the colon after http.) If you select/copy the text and then paste it into the location/URL area of the browser, it works.

Collapse -
What about these?
by RiseAgainst94 / January 7, 2013 11:29 PM PST

How would you compare the quality of the Canon Rebel T3i with the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, Sony SLT A57, Panasonic DMC-GH2, or Nikon D5100 with an emphasis on video.

Would it be smart to wait for the release of the recently announced Nikon D5200?

Collapse -
re: What about these?
by MarkatNite / January 8, 2013 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: What about these?

Same answer: as PCC suggested above, with an emphasis on video, of any hybrid photo/video camera, the best value is the GH2.

But as I said above, your smartest move would be a dedicated video camera - Mark

Collapse -
Question Answered.
by RiseAgainst94 / January 8, 2013 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: re: What about these?

Thank you very much.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.