Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon Powershot G9 problem

by fac68 / July 20, 2010 10:32 PM PDT

I have received excellent performance from my G9 since buying it 2+ years ago. However, a month ago, under no remarkable circumstances, it would no longer power up, and it was not a battery issue. I took it to the camera store I bought it from and was told to pay $25 to send it to Canon, and expect a charge of $225 if it is fixable. That last part, $225, seems arbitrary and possibly designed to push me into a newer model. I have had a string of Canon cameras and liked them all, but now I'm waiting 4-6 weeks to be told the news, which I suspect I already know.

Anyone else have experience or a feel for what is likely to happen next?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Powershot G9 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Powershot G9 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by PistonCupChampion / July 21, 2010 4:03 AM PDT

I haven't had your experience. But the cost of labor is high; I don't think the store was trying to push you into buying a new camera. It's just the reality of having to pay for skilled technicians to diagnose and repair complex electronic hardware. Maybe you'll get lucky though, and the tech will find that it's something incredibly simple and wave any charge*. Good luck.

*I'm a technician in another field, and if I find a very simple solution, it is what I do.

Collapse -
G9 problem
by fac68 / July 21, 2010 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunate

Thanks, I hope you are right. The camera shop wasn't pushing me. He simply said that Canon usually has a set fee of $225.

Collapse -
First thing you should do is
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 21, 2010 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: G9 problem

Call Canon support. That will be the place to find out, instead of wondering. Also, I've seen others online getting their's fixed for much less than that from Canon. Canon also has a program where you can buy a new camera for a much lower cost by trading in the broken one, I believe it's called the Canon Loyalty Program.

Collapse -
Canon G9
by fac68 / July 21, 2010 7:01 AM PDT

Thanks so much. I will call Canon now.

Collapse -
Canon Powershot G9 problem - wrap up - New!
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 16, 2010 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon G9

This message was reposted by the Forum Moderator because it was inadvertently posted to a message that is scheduled for removal.

by fac68 - 9/16/10 9:26 AM
After a conversation with Penn Camera, where I told them a)their charge of $225 for any repair to my G9 was $75 higher than a quote I got from a Canon Tech rep, and b)Canon said Penn's charge of $25 was also outrageous. Penn Camera later got back to me offering to reduce the cost to $125, which I accepted. Camera is back, and it works fine. But I have a bad taste in my mouth from Penn Camera.

Collapse -
G9 Problem
by jijo272 / October 21, 2010 6:40 PM PDT

I bought my G9 in September 2007. I've read all about the problems many G9er's have had with power and batteries and now.....I am too.

I went to the Canon USA site today and the estimate is $159 plus tax but I never got to the cost for shipping. (whatever happened to the camera stores all around town).

I don't know what to do. Have it repaired? Go out and spend $400 to $500 and buy another camera.

I like the solid feeling of the G9, size of the camera, the 3" screen, the viewfinder is a MUST!

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
G9 problem
by fac68 / October 21, 2010 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: G9 Problem

I think I started all of this back in July with my own G9 problem. It simply would not power up. After some negotiation (my camera store had tacked on a hefty extra charge on top of Canon's)Canon fixed it. I have no idea what was wrong with it, since no service documentation was included, but the camera has been working fine since then.

Collapse -
G9 problem
by jijo272 / October 22, 2010 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: G9 problem

I think I'll have it repaired because I love the camera. I haven't seen anything at the camera stores the size, and solid feel that this camera has.

Wish me luck and thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Locking this thread
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 18, 2011 10:37 AM PST

This thread is attracting people who want to use it to advertise their business.

Their post was deleted and now this thread is locked.

This message from the Forum Moderator.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.