Cameras forum

General discussion

CANON OR NIKON DSLR PLEASE HELP

by purplebuttafly / December 20, 2006 1:32 AM PST

Ok to start I in no way have a lot practice with a DSLR. I own a Canon A620 and I am just very interested in learning how to use a DSLR. I love taking pictures and just love the way SLR photos look. I know this will take me a quite a while to learn and that is ok. Anyway I purchase a CANON REBEL XTi the other day, and I really am not real impressed with the reviews. I originally wanted the CANON 30D or the NIKON D80 but for price reasons I went with this one before researching it. Stupid I know. Anyway I am going to exchange it for one of the above. Could someone please help me out on which would be better. Like I said I am a little new to photography so please be patient with me if I do not understand some of the jargon. Thanks to all in advance! Shauna

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CANON OR NIKON DSLR PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CANON OR NIKON DSLR PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you have the camera, why don't you look at what it is
by Kiddpeat / December 20, 2006 4:01 AM PST

producing rather than reading reviews?

Either the XTi or the 30D, by all accounts, are excellent cameras.

Collapse -
heads or tail on the camera
by David_cr / December 20, 2006 4:47 AM PST

Hey kiddpeat the person is looking for advice give the cameras thier
pros & cons not just thier good cameras.........
Do you have any of these cameras?

Collapse -
Umm Ok
by purplebuttafly / December 20, 2006 5:57 AM PST

Well I didnt expect attitude right from the start but thats ok. If you read my post it says I have absolutely no experience with SLR's. Yes I did play with the camera and took some pictures and was not impressed but that does not mean the camera sucked that means I do not know if I am using it right. Plus I cannot sit and play with it to much because I am going to exchange it. I wanted a 30d or the Nikon 80d in the first place but chose this one because of price. After looking at a lot of photos online by all of the cameras the XTi did not seem as good as the others. Exactly willie0343, than you =).

Collapse -
Which
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 20, 2006 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: Umm Ok

You should go ahead and get the Canon 30D or Nikon D80.
Since that is really what you wanted originally.

Regarding sample photos you find on the internet.

There are some very good examples of photography to be found.
I enjoy looking at good photography, just to learn.
I download the best photos and made a DVD slide show from them, just for my own enjoyment and education.

If your first photos do not match the ones you have seen, don't get discouraged. Such photos are 30 percent equipment and 70 percent photographer. The more you learn about photography, the better your photos will be. And remember, people only publish their best shots.
For every outstanding photo, there are at least 20 that are just OK.

Here is a link to a photo that I found on the internet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/DogTub.jpg

It shows that an outstanding photo is sometimes just the subject matter.
And any photo that tells a story will be a keeper.

Enjoy your new camera.

Now....don't ask which is better....the Nikon or the Canon.
That will just start a fight.
Canon owners against Nikon owners.
Pick the one you like.

Collapse -
Which
by slnicosia / January 2, 2007 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Which

I own the Nikon D-80, this is the 4th Nikon camera that I've owned. So I'm a Nikon person. You need to hold the cameras with different size lenses. You will be able to tell which fits in your hand best and feels better. Balance means a lot.

Check out available lenses and their cost,as we all know the body is one purchase but you are buying into the lenses as well. Take pics and have them print them out with both cameras and decide which pleases you eye and which camera seems to work the easiest for you.

Next are the features and the price compare. Both cameras are great cameras. Both take great photos, check out the photo articales. Read reviews. Go for the most you can afford, this will give you growing room.

Now it is time to consider the purchase. Remember if you buy at a local camera store you will have xx amount of days to return. Make sure they don't have a restocking fee.

Good Luck and Happy Shooting.

Collapse -
Re Your Comments on Nikon vs. Canon DSLRs
by fmb43 / January 6, 2007 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Which

I thought you made an excellent point regarding the fact that when you select a Nikon or Canon camera you're actually buying into their lens systems as well. I recently purchased a Canon EOS 30D and can attest to the fact that even though I purchased a kit with two lenses, I've already begun to look at upgrading my lenses and most of the ones I am condidering cost nearly as much as my original kit. In this regard I read an interesting article which took the position that until camera bodies become more "upgradeable", i.e., come with an ability to increase resolution, shutter speeds, automatic programming etc., it would be wise to emphasize building up your lense inventory while buying the LEAST EXPENSIVE camera body that met your needs. (With the expectation that, ultimately, manufacturers will start producing more upgradable camera bodies.)

One additional comment regarding the original poster's question. Given the fact that she has no experience, perhaps a less expensive DSLR would be more appropriate. There are many other DSLRs that cost far less, which can provide excellent results.

Collapse -
Canon 30D vs Nikon D80
by hjfok / December 20, 2006 8:54 AM PST

I have the Canon 30D and it is a great camera. In terms of performance, it performs better at high ISO (which you will need at low light situation without flash) than even the higher end Nikon D200. It is faster than the Nikon D80, 5fps rather than 3fps. And it has a more sturdy build than the Nikon D80, though it is not weather-proof like the Nikon D200. And the Canon 30D belongs to the mid-range category, a level higher than the Nikon D80 which is an entry level DSLR like the Canon Rebel XTi. The Nikon D80 however has a slightly higher 10 MP vs Canon 30D's 8 MP. But if you read the reviews and look at the sample photos, you can't tell the difference. Last time when I checked the price, the price is not so different (about $100 difference at B and H photo and video). So to me, Canon 30D is a clear choice over the Nikon D80, if you are going to spend that amount of money.
However, the Canon Rebel XTi is also a very good camera, it is slower with max burst 3fps, like the Nikon D80. It also lacks a spot meter which can be quite helpful when you take pictures in high contrast situation. Both Canon 30D and Nikon D80 have a spot meter. The Canon Rebel Xti is also smaller, somewhat awkward to hold when using a heavier lens (and I have small hands already). I feel a better grip with the Canon 30D than the Rebel Xti. But the Rebel Xti has the anti-dust mechanism which neither the 30D nor the Nikon D80 has.
Another important thing about image quality is the lens you use. The kit lens works well and has good image quality when you take photos outdoor in bright day light. But it tends to have poorer image when taking photos indoor or in low light situation without using flash. So if your budget allows, get a better lens if you plan on doing a lot of low light or indoor photos.
And you may also want to look at the photos you took and try to find out why you are not impressed with the result of the Rebel XTi. If you took the pictures indoor or in low light, it may partially due to your kit lens. Also make sure you use the correct white balance to take the photos. The AWB (automatic white balance) works well most of the time, but when you are indoor lit by light bulbs, you should use the "tungsten" setting, otherwise your pictures will have look kind of yellowish. If you are not happy with the sharpness, read your owner's manual and go to the custom setting to increase the sharpness. If the photos usually look darker than you like, you can also increase the exposure compensation to make it look brighter. You should try some more with your Rebel Xti before returning it. Getting a better lens is sometimes more important than getting a more expensive camera body.

Collapse -
Actually...
by jump1127 / December 21, 2006 11:39 AM PST

Your Rebel XTi is a very nice camera. I've seen many great shots , performed by that camera . Please visit www.photo.net . Get to know the camera more. I'm sure that soon you'll be quite happy with the camera. Enjoy shooting.

Collapse -
You're not getting just a camera
by GaryG7-20126582813048038641775467430990 / January 5, 2007 11:13 PM PST

When you move in the SLR world, you are buying a system. I've had several Nikon SLRs in the past. My decision was the D80 or D200. I went with the D80 because I may want to upgrade to the D2XS and thought the D80 would be a better second camera.

Each brand of cameras uses it's own lenses and accessories. (You may be able to use a Canon Flash on a Nikon or vice versa, but you won't get the full use.) Going back to manual focusing cameras, I've always liked the "pop" of a Nikon (f/k/a Nikkor) lens. Nikons have never matched other brands with features, but the quality has usually been slightly better (Canon has narrowed the gap somewhat).

Conclusion, check what lenses you would want to use as well as the camera body. If you're really serious about photography, skip the lens that comes in a kit with the camera body and ask for a faster lens.

Collapse -
Nikon vs. Canon dSLR
by Bozz5384 / January 6, 2007 1:36 AM PST

Not knowing much about photography, or dSLR's, I purchased a camera for my wife for Christmas. I read lots of reviews, and decided on the Canon Rebel XT (not XTi). The reason for this, was that the reviews were spectacular on the XT, but not so great on the XTi.

I considered the Nikons as well, which are great cameras -- but decided on the Canon because of its feature-set and ease of use in Auto mode.

We change very few settings on the XT, and it takes great pictures for us all the time (maybe not technically great, but we like them).

The burst rate on the XT is fast enough to burn up a 1GB card in no time at all, so don't get too concerned with that unless you really,really need to shoot stuff at high speed.

Check the reviews on the XT, because according to the ones I read -- reviewers site problems with the XTi even though its the "next generation".

Good luck!

Collapse -
Nikon vs. Canon dSLR
by NeilFiertel / January 6, 2007 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Nikon vs. Canon dSLR

Most of what matters between such quality cameras is the feel of the unit in one's hands. I seriously doubt that a skilled camera user could take perfectly equivalent images with any of those cameras that would be indescernible to any expert unless they went through serious analysis and very large image examination. The noise level on Canon cameras is lower but the detail level on the Nikon is very slightly higher but at the expense of some digital noise which looks a bit like film grain. The two cameras share anti shake tech invented by Canon and ring focusing motors also invented by Canon, by the way but Nikon can take essentially any lens it has made since I was 18 ( I am 65!) Canon works only with its auto focusing lenses. Nikon has a watersealed body but not a metal body unlike the Canon but unless you have waterproof lenses..who cares? I do not take pictures in the rain but if this is important, it is a consideration. In the end, it is about ergonomics. How do the different cameras feel? I like all of them in the right circumstances and you could do worse than either brand. For the money, get the Canon XTi which takes pictures as good as the others. If you want a solid albeit noisier camera go for the Nikons which are dependable and amazingly compatible with old optics. The Canon 30 D is a smooth operator, quiet images and good ergonomics also. It is a tough choice. The main thing is learn to do photography and stop suffering over brand choices...

Collapse -
Help with making decisions
by forkboy1965 / January 6, 2007 4:02 AM PST

I won't bother to interject with my preference as it's quite irrelevant. I would have thought a person moving from the Canon A620 to any of the entry-level dSLRs would have been quite happy with the results. However, if you aren't I would suggest looking at more reviews of your current camera, the D80 and the Canon and Nikon models above these. I have found that www.dpreview.com offers extensive reviews, but I do not know what, if any, connection they may have to the camera manufacturers.

An alternative would also be to check out Consumer Reports online. If a membership is required to read the relevant reviews for entry-level dSLRs (I'm already a member so I don't know if the information is available to the general public or just members) I would seriously consider spending the money to join. I think it's $20 and that seems like a pittance compared to the cost of the products you are looking at.

Collapse -
Digital SLR Primer
by rbuergel / January 6, 2007 6:35 AM PST
Collapse -
I recommend that you give the whole matter some thought
by toddtee / January 6, 2007 7:15 AM PST

Both the Canon and Nikon cameras you are considering are cameras made with the professional photographer in mind. By your own account you are a long way from that status. For you to buy one of those would be much like a brand new driver buying a Lamborghini; way too much for you. Why not take a look at the new Nikon D40, designed with folks like you in mind?

Collapse -
If you absolutely, positively want a pro DSLR
by toddtee / January 6, 2007 8:22 AM PST

I recommend that you invest $4.50 in a copy of the February Popular Photography and Imaging. There's a review of the "big 5" of same, which include some of the cameras you and others have mentioned. They deem the Nikon D80 as #1, but choices such as this are subjective, so your #1 may be different.

Collapse -
Ease of use first, feel in the hand second.
by grtgrfx / January 8, 2007 9:54 AM PST

I agree with other posters in that the Rebel XTi is more than enough to give you fantastic quality images with a little trial and error on your part. You should remember several things:

1. The most important part of using a camera is figuring out how to make it work. In the new digital cameras, the software or menu system is responsible for that. Just like a Nokia cell phone has different software than a Motorola (and to many people, it's superior), each camera comany programs their menus differently. You ought to spend half an hour in a camera store and look at the menus on the display, and see which are easier to understand.

2. What it feels like in your hands affects how well you control it. I'm sure with the competitive pressures of the camera market, Canon and Nikon are very close to each other in feel. The new pro-sumer cameras are amazingly light and comfortable compared to their analog cousins. But some controls are on the front, some are on the top, and some can only be accessed with the menus. Decide what you want the camera to do beyond point-and-shoot, and see how easy it is to set that task.

3. You cannot decide the quality of a camera by online pictures. This should be real obvious, but let's go into a little detail. First, each image you see on a web site was cherry-picked for whatever reason the poster decided was important. Second, the viewer (you) has no idea what compression was used to publish the image, but it was certainly degraded in it's journey from lens to internet. Third, all computer monitors look different, from soft to sharp, and from true colors to anything but; and the web creator has no control over your display. For example, at the most basic level, pictures shot by Macintosh users and published unaltered from their editing look way too dark to PC users because PC monitors display 20% darker than Apple monitors do by default. Finally, your camera captures up to 500% more image detail than a web page might display (if it's a 10-megapixel), but web publishers must "downsample" the images so they aren't 48" wide on a web page. This means you can throw away up to 90% of your picture detail and still have a nice image for the web. Look in a magazine to see how photos actually reproduce, not a web site.

4. Don't compress the image. There are settings both for image size (in pixels) and compression. Set your camera for both maximum image size and least compression, either TIFF or RAW. Once you make your images smaller and start to compress them, detail gets lost as the camera, not you, throws away good data. Wait until you get the photos into your computer before you edit the size of your pics.

I think you'll find that the only reason your pictures aren't award-winning with the Digital Rebel is because you aren't taking award-winning pictures yet! Brilliant photos are due to the time and care of the photographer, not the gear on his shoulder. You can break a plate with a hammer...or build a beautiful house with it. The difference isn't the tool, but the user. Save your money and get to know your tool.

Fact is, I took some amazing photos on trips in the last few years with a camera I ultimately decided was pretty junky...an 8-year-old Nikon Coolpix 950. It didn't have changeable lenses, had only 3X optical zoom, no aperture control and images were only 2 megapixels...basically a really heavy pro-level point-and-shoot. Nonetheless I shot some pictures that I'd be proud to publish in a magazine.

By the way, I now have a Nikon D50, a great camera that costs less than $600 these days. It replaces my $2000 F3, and I have no regrets. I haven't learned how to maximize it's performance yet either, but the more I learn the better I'll get.

Collapse -
I agree with all this 100%
by toddtee / January 8, 2007 1:48 PM PST

Ansel Adams took marvelous pictures with cameras you wouldn't pay ten bucks for today.

Collapse -
Canon or Nikon DSLR
by slnicosia / January 9, 2007 8:45 AM PST

As stated before I use the Nikon D-80 and love it. One thing you need to consider is the feel of the camera in your hand. If it feels good you will use it and shoot for longer periods. I have long finger and the Canon felt short and light to me. The Nikon also felt better balanced in my hand. Add a lense and I didn't have the control with the Canon that I did with the Nikon which will help with blur.

If your trial pics weren't pleasing to your eye ( colors not composition) then you might want to give Nikon a try, keeping in mind that you are also buying into a lense system as well as a camera. The Nikon offers a kit with the 18x135 lense which I found to be a good all round lense to start with. It gives you a wide angle with a fair amount of zoom.

As far as Learning the camera,try this it might help. As you read the instruction book follow with practice on the camera then pratice shooting with the settings or auto mode you have set. Give yourself time you will learn something each and every day you shoot or pratice.

Both Cameras take good pictures, There is the new Nikon D-40 which is more of a point and shoot with DSLR results if you find the others more than you want for now.

As a previous Nikon user I like the viewfinder placements and the menus access, plus they all work similar but since you are new to it all these may not matter.

As far as features go www.dpreview had great in depth review with pictures to view in the sample gallery. This is a good place to compare features as well as learn the pros and cons of each camera

Good luck with your search...

Collapse -
GET THE NIKON D40... DON'T EVEN DOUBT IT
by Gadget_rookie / January 10, 2007 9:51 PM PST

Get the Nikon D40, somebody said it's the first camera-teacher, and is great brand, top quality and not huge price in lenses in case you want to start trying different setups.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.