by nazirp / August 22, 2006 8:32 AM PDT

Canon EOS 30D with 18mm-to-55mm lens

Someone wrote in a review that the lens that the
camera comes with is mediocre.
Any comments please ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Lens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Lens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe the 18-55 adds about $100 to the price of the
by Kiddpeat / August 22, 2006 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Lens

camera. I've seen it described as pretty good for what it is. I bought my 20D as body only, and put the $100 towards a better lense.

Collapse -
Canon Lens
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 10:21 AM PDT

The 18-55 Canon lens is OK, I have used it on several occasions.

But when you start comparing it to $400 and $500 lenses, it loses its glitter.

Sort of like comparing a $15,000 car to a $70,000 car.
Both cars get you there, but.........

It is a good starter lens.....something to get you going with the new camera; but something you may replace sometime in the future.

You might also consider the 50mm (non-zoom) F1.8 Canon lens. This lens has been the default lens for SLR cameras for 50 years. It sells for $80, and being rated at F1.8 makes it a great lens for indoor shooting under artificial lighting without a flash.

Here is a link to reviews on Canon and Nikon lenses.
It also covers lenses made by other companies (Sigma, etc):

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Their reviews are very frank and helpful.

After reading the reviews......I was tempted to try the Sigma 17mm-70mm. It sells for just under $400.
I have one arriving about the first of next week.

Collapse -
Canon Lens
by nazirp / August 22, 2006 12:46 PM PDT

I notice that this lens is ES wheras some Nikon lens
are AF . What is this ES ? Is it also auto focus lens?
Does the AF in Nikon stand for auto focus ?
Will the 18-55 mm lens give me wide angle photos
such as the ones I used to take with my old camera F2.8
Tamron lens

Collapse -
The Canon lenses are designated EF-S and EF. They do not
by Kiddpeat / August 22, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

use Nikon nomenclature. The EF-S lenses are limited to digital cameras with the smaller C size sensor. That means the Rebel, 10D, 20D, and 30D. They cannot be used on cameras with a full size 35mm frame like the 5D, 1D, or the 35mm film cameras.

The 18-55 looks like it lacks both Image Stabilization (not surprising) and autofocus which is called USM.

Collapse -
My error. The 18-55 is USM (auto focus).
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

Canon doesn't list USM for this lense on their standard zoom lense page, but if you click on the lense it is a USM lense.

Collapse -
Any lens suggestion ?
by nazirp / August 23, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

Is Canon digital slr with 18-55mm a good buy ?
It is selling for Can $1000 plus 14% tax at Best Buy Canada and you get a $100 rebate to send out.
Or would it be better to buy the body and get another lens that will do better on this camera ?
I also read that it does not have a view through LCD and you have to frame through the view finder.
Any other recommedation within the same price range? I was also surprised to know that with digital slr you cannot record any video clips.

Collapse -
It depends on what camera it is, and what it's condition is.
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Any lens suggestion ?

If it is new and a 20D or 30D, taking it with the lense sounds good. However, if you can get the body only for $100 less, then I would get body only and pick a better lense. The 17-85mm IS USM would be a good choice.

With one or two exceptions, all SLRs are composed and focused through the view finder. That's one of the reasons you have an SLR. I don't know of any SLRs which make videos.

It really sounds like you will be happier with a point & shoot. They do more of what you want to do.

Collapse -
Lenses
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 11:52 PM PDT

There are no ES designations.

AF=AutoFocus
EF=ElectronicFocus
S= half frame sensor (will not fit film cameras or full frame digital cameras).

The half frame cameras such as the Canon 300D, 350D, 20D, 30D have a sensor that is about half the size of 35mm film. Therefore any lens will have a longer focal length when used on a half frame camera.

To get the true focal length for a half-frame camera, you multiply the lens rating by 1.6 for a Canon camera and multiply the lens rating by 1.5 for a Nikon camera.

e.g. A Canon 18-55 lens will be seen as being 28.8mm - 88mm when put on a Canon half frame camera.

Since I don't know the focal length for your old Tamron lens, I can't answer that question.

If you are thinking of putting an older Tamron lens on a Canon half frame camera.....it may or may not work. You will have to check with Tamron.....some have to have a chip replaced in the lens.

Note: So why did they make half frame cameras?
Cost...
full frame digital SLR cameras prices start at about $4,000.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I hope you will tell us what you think of it.
by Kiddpeat / August 22, 2006 1:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

I will give it a spin and see if I like it.
I plan to use it instead of the 18mm-55mm kit lens.

Collapse -
Welcome to the wonderful world of SLR...
by excelguru / August 25, 2006 12:21 AM PDT

First and foremost, you better make sure that this camera is really what you want because the world of DSLR is not necessarily a cheap one to live in. SLR cameras don't give you a "live" view on the display screen so you'll have to use the eyepiece. And they don't do video.

But what they DO do (or CAN do in the hands of the right person) is offer astounding levels of flexibility, creativity, and image quality when it comes to taking photographs... and ONLY photographs. They do one thing and they do it very well.

As for the lens, well... my personal recommendation would be to purchase the camera without the lens and use that money to buy a better lens. The 50mm f/1.8 mentioned earlier is a good choice and it's not terribly expensive at all.

If it's photography that you truly enjoy (vs. video), then this purchase will change everything for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.