Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Canon ip3000 printer driver + Windows 7

by mr winkie / November 28, 2009 2:09 PM PST

My Canon ip3000 printer driver doesn't work in Windows 7. The Canon site doesn't specify a suitable driver. Is there any way I can get my printer operational, please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon ip3000 printer driver + Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon ip3000 printer driver + Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If there's
by Jimmy Greystone / November 28, 2009 9:24 PM PST

If there's a Vista driver, that should work in Win7. If the Vista driver doesn't work, then you're stuck. You have two less than desirable solutions.

1: Install XP/Vista in a virtual machine, and use them for all printing
2: Get a new printer

Incidentally, this is why you stay away from cheap printers. Typically they're on the market for 6-12 months, and that's it. There will be minimal driver updates, if any, so unless they happen to come out around the same time frame as a new version of Windows you can just forget about any support on that new version.

Collapse -
Canon ip 3000 driver
by mr winkie / November 29, 2009 1:44 PM PST
In reply to: If there's

This wasn't a cheapy printer. It still works perfectly, but sadly there is not even a Vista driver available, except for an add on which isn't of course, a driver. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
"My Canon Printer driver"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 10:07 PM PST
Collapse -
canon ip3000 printer
by mr winkie / November 29, 2009 1:47 PM PST

Unfortunately, that download is only for an add-on. Thanks for help.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: canon ip3000 printer

An add-on may be what some programmer calls the patch to make it work. I re-read this discussion and can't tell if you installed this.

Collapse -
Canon ip3000
by mr winkie / November 30, 2009 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Terminology.

I did download the add-on, but it only adds extra features to an existing, working system. I think maybe I'll have to do a dual boot. I use my computer quite a lot to compose music scores, using Scorewriter and this works ok with Vista or XP.

Collapse -
"The Windows 7 printer driver for your printer is provided
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 12:23 PM PST

"The Windows 7 printer driver for your printer is provided by Windows Update. Simply connect your printer to the computer, and then power the printer on. The driver will be installed automatically as long as there is an Internet connection."

Collapse -
Canon ip3000 printer driver
by mr winkie / December 4, 2009 2:17 PM PST

I've already tried the fix you suggested, but unfortunately without success. I bit the bullet and bought a new Canon MP550. Strangely, its driver is for Vista, but it worked ok with 7.
Thank you very much for your help - much appreciated. R.F.

Collapse -
What about XP mode?
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 5, 2009 7:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Canon ip3000 printer driver
by mr winkie / December 5, 2009 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: What about XP mode?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, but have solved my problem by buying a new Canon MP550. Works well. My next problem is to obtain a Win 7 driver for my Casio PX 320 keyboard. Thanks.R.F.

Collapse -
ip300 printer
by Awie1 / April 11, 2010 4:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
your tip was gold!
by arnold717 / September 11, 2010 5:05 PM PDT
In reply to: ip300 printer

Tried to install iP3000 on a new Win7 laptop - same frustration as previous posters. No Win7 driver; not even one for Vista.
But then I saw your post. Earlier in the day I'd actually downloaded and installed the MyPrinter Canon software; but I hadn't run it, thinking it was meant for use only with a properly installed printer.
I ran it; it couldn't detect the printer, told me to start the Diagnose mode. Diagnose said 'no driver installed', took me to the Canon site - 3 pages of drivers and software listings, all specific to iP3000.
There was (as before) no driver for OS newer than XP64; so I downloaded that one. When I tried to install it, it seemed to partially install; then gave an error 'not digitally signed'.
At that point I restarted MyPrinter and went into its Diagnose mode. This time it detected the printer, but showed 2 errors; offered to fix them. [Would anyone NOT accept?!!] Came back saying both errors had been fixed.
At that point the iP3000 was properly installed and working fine!
THANKS for pointing me to the fix.

Collapse -
This worked perfectly!
by Poppe7 / October 26, 2010 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: your tip was gold!

Thanks alot! followed your instructions and now it works just fine!
Thanks again! =)

Collapse -
I second that
by big-ears / December 14, 2010 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: your tip was gold!

The most useful thing I've read online today and a trick I'd never have got to on my own. many thanks

Collapse -
Drivers are on the Canon Website
by crcarter / March 10, 2011 7:27 AM PST

I thought there was no drivers but I went to the site using Firefox and there was a pull down menu! I like Windows 7 but I hate there IE browser.

Collapse -
My solution (after reading all messages and threads!)
by zio778 / July 15, 2012 9:45 PM PDT

I had the exact same problem; trying to install a Canon ip3000 on Windows 7.

What I did was:

1.) Download Windows XP (x64) driver from
- Yes the driver is for XP but it does work. Note that you can only download this particular driver from the Canon USA website, and not the Canon UK website.

2.) Plug in printer and manually install driver (don't use the CD)!

Hope this helps, it worked for me!

Collapse -
The solution
by ilbassodigenova / October 1, 2013 6:49 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.