Camcorders forum

General discussion

Canon HV-20 video transfer & editing questions

by csroy / January 15, 2008 1:31 AM PST

Hi,

I just bought HV20 and I have Windows XP with 80 GB Hard Drive and 2 GB RAM with Pinnacle Studio 11 as video editing software. I have used to have Canon ZR80,ZR100 and ZR500. I did video editing in the past. My question is, I want to shoot my home (all) videos into HDV format using HV20 and burn DVDs(Standard DV) out of my miniDV. Since, I dont have hardware to burn Blue-Ray or play Blue-Ray Disk Player, I want to burn standard DVD. Please let me know what all the options do I need to set in my camera to shoot in HDV and download in SDV. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon HV-20 video transfer & editing questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon HV-20 video transfer & editing questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RTFM
by Kiddpeat / January 15, 2008 1:38 AM PST

I don't have the HV-20, but I would start with the manual. If that doesn't answer your questions, someone may be able to respond to specific questions.

Collapse -
In my opinion, there are not a lot of differences
by boya84 / January 15, 2008 6:20 AM PST

between transferring video captured to miniDV tape and importing a a computer - when all the camcorders you have listed are miniDV tape camcorders. They would all use FireWire to transfer - from the DV port of the camcorder to the firewire 400 port of the computer.

If the Pinnacle software can handle HDV, then you should be fine. If it cannot, then you need to get an editor that does.

There is a method to use the menuing system in the camcorder to export high def video as standard definition, but Kiddpeat is right... that information is in the manual.

I will say that the 80 gig hard drive you have is going to be pretty small - whether you are doing standard definition or high definition. You may have an 80 gig drive, but the operating system and applications likely use all sorts of space already... not to mention other files/documents you might have. And since standard definition (DV) uses about 13 gig of computer hard drive space per hour of video and high definition (HDV) uses about 40 gig of hard drive space per hour of video, that 80 gig drive will have no available space pretty quickly. An external (preferably firewire connected) drive is strongly recommended.

Since we don't know what kind of computer you are using, we cannot provide you any feedback on whether the CPU is fast enough to handle HDV.

Once the HDV is in the computer and the editing is done, the video editing application and DVD authoring application will downsample to standard definition for burning to a standard 4.7 gig single layer or 8.5 gig double layer DVD - depending on the kind of DVD burner and write-able DVDs you are using. Of course, the standard def footage is already there, so no downsampling needed... it will burn to DVD format... At least, that is what I have been doing on my Macintoshes for 2+ years. I presume it is similar in the Windows environment...

Collapse -
re: Canon HV20 , shoot HDV and capture to computer in SD
by Arkenware / January 17, 2008 1:15 AM PST

Hope you will like your HV20 as much as I like mine; I've been shooting my home movies in HDV and making standard DVDs since last Spring. Playing back directly from the HV20 to my 52" LCD HDTV via the HDMI connection gives wonderful HD video results. Nobody in my family has DVD players that handle high def, so I make SD DVDs for now, just as you plan to.

The HV20 has settings to support exactly what you are asking to do:

when shooting your videos, set REC IN to HDV (manual p.38)

to capture to computer over firewire connection as SD,
set the DV OUTPUT to DV LOCKED (manual p. 42) Note you must make this setting BEFORE connecting the firewire cable to the HV20

(the DV LOCKED setting down converts the HDV recorded on the tape to DV in the camcorder before sending it out over the firewire)

Happy shooting

Collapse -
?Software
by Six Attack / August 23, 2008 12:12 AM PDT

Hey Akrenware,
I was wondering which editing software you are using with your computer. I am in the beginning stages of learning how to transfer from the HV20 to my HP desktop and am not familiar with the options as far as editing software goes.
Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Some suggestions...
by whizkid454 / August 23, 2008 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: ?Software

Adobe, Corel, Sony Vegas, or Pinnacle. Just to forewarn you, you'll need some real computer horsepower to edit any type of HD video. Also, make sure the program you choose specifically accepts HD video.

Collapse -
re Software (for videoediting DV/HDV from Canon HV20)
by Arkenware / August 29, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: ?Software

I use a group of programs under WinXPpro, most are from Ulead (now part of Corel) with usage stemming back to Hi-8 days; starting out fresh at this point, as you are, I might well go with other choices. With that qualification in mind, here they are:

-- Corel/Ulead Media StudioPro 8: full featured, powerful NLE usable for DV but HDV support weak, Vista not supported; OBSOLETE Corel has dropped it.

-- Corel/Ulead VideoStudio 11.5Plus: beginner/intermediate videoediting; capture from the HV20 firewire works, claims full HD support - can only verify the HDV support; just learning to use it (free copy from Corel when they dropped MSP8)

-- Corel/Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6Plus : reasonable DVD authoring and burning; good menu template customizing ability, limited menu structuring choice, and slideshow must use the same transition and the same pan-and-zoom throughout (use VS11.5+ for them instead)

-- HDVSplit : freeware utility that does one single function, captures HDV via firewire; HV20 is explicitly recognized and capture works well.

Based on my experience, expect a learning curve (e.g. the firewire out settings on your HV20 must be made with the firewire cable unplugged) as well as bugs to show up periodically, updates/patches to apply, disk space to be gobbled up and rendering times as long as 20 times the run time.

Happy videoing

Collapse -
Unable to connect my HV20 to my new imac via Firewire 800
by sugokul / April 1, 2010 7:01 PM PDT

Hi,

I need your help. I bought the 4 pin to FW 800 (IEEE1394) cable and tried my best to connect to the imac via the FW800. I have kept the DV in locked position. Till now the cam corder is not recognised and i am unable to download the movies. I have reset the camera once but still no use.

Any suggestions,

Gokul.

Collapse -
On a new iMac,
by boya84 / April 1, 2010 10:52 PM PDT

Using a 9-pin to 4-pin firewire cable;
and the camcorder in "Play" mode;
and launch iMovie,
Under "File" select "New Project"
In the dialog box select "16:9 widescreen" - this assumes you captured the video to HDV format.

There is no need to "Lock to DV" (unless you want to downsample to standard def). There is no need to make any changes in the camcorder.

If this does not work, it could be the camcorder's DV port or the cable.

Collapse -
stil unable to solve
by sugokul / April 2, 2010 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: On a new iMac,

cable i bought is a new one, you are right it could be dv port or fw 800 port or the cable. I tried connecting the camcorder in the apple shop. still would not recognize?any solutions?

Collapse -
When you tried
by boya84 / April 2, 2010 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: stil unable to solve

at the Apple Store, did you use your cable or a different one?

If your cable, then you did not isolate anything.

If a new cable, then it *could* be the DV port on the camcorder.

Did you get the camcorder new or used? When?

Have you ever successfully used the DV port?

Collapse -
used the same cable
by sugokul / April 2, 2010 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: When you tried

i used the same cable, in fact after i purchased i went to apple store at the same complex and tried it as brought the camcorder along
the camcorder is new one i am the first owner
yes, i have previously used it successfully in my Win XP professional -- too slow to capture, that time i used the DV port to IEEE 1394 i think it is the FW 400 port in my old computer

this time i bought the imac and this one is having only FW 800 port

Collapse -
Hmmm... odd.
by boya84 / April 3, 2010 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: used the same cable

Since I cannot see what you see, I don't know how much more I can do.

I've never had to make any changes on any miniDV camcorder - other than have it in Play mode. The video editor (iMovie or Final Cut) takes care of the camera control, importing from and export back to the tap.

This has been the case since my Canon Elura 60 with a iMac G5 flatpanel 7 years ago... all the way through the Sony HDR-FX1 and HC1 with my iMac 24" today... and all the various combinations of different camcorders and computers in between...

With the HV20's DV port connected to the iMac's firewire port - and with the camcorder in Play mode, can you run the System Profiler and tell me what you see?

You can get to the System Profiler two ways:
1) In the Applications subdirectory, open the Utilities subdirectory. Double click to launch System Profiles.
or
2) Under the Apple in the upper left corner, select "About this Mac". Click on "More Info".

When you click once on "Firewire", is anything there?

If not, the fault could still be in either the camcorder's DV port, the cable or the Mac's FX800 port... Since you successfully used the Camcorder and cable with the other computer, then I guess I'll lean toward the Mac's FW port being the problem... The trick to troubleshooting is to start on one side the the chain and eliminate one thing as the problem...

Collapse -
thanks
by sugokul / April 3, 2010 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm... odd.

thanks for your suggestions so far. Yesterday I tried again connecting my camcorder to my old win XP and roxio software do not have any problem in recognizing the camera. To day i changed another new cable still there is problem. I think it could be the Mac FW 800 port. Let me check with the mac people. Hope to post my success story soon?!

Collapse -
Canon on iMac FW800
by ollivjee / May 10, 2010 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

My Canon XM1 isn't recognized on my iMac i5 through the FW800 port. I had no problem capturing the footage on my old eMac through the FW400 port. Tried it on the PC of a friend: also no problem. After reading a lot about it on the net, it seems to be a reoccuring issue with Canon camcorders connected to a FW800 port. I'm still trying to figure out a solution. Have you been able to connect your camera yet?

Collapse -
Cannon HV20 connection problem to imac
by sugokul / May 10, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon on iMac FW800

No. I called in apple, the service technician connected the external hard drive to the FW 800 port, no problem with the computer.

Now, i am still trying to figure out the problem with HV 20 connection to the FW 800 port?? Thinking of calling cannon on this issue?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.