Camcorders forum

Question

Canon FS40 video camera

by jesse13579 / February 4, 2013 4:49 AM PST

I recently purchased a canon FS40 digital video camera for the school system I work at. I've recorded a few videos that now I need to burn to dvd. The videos are in .mod format. If I connect the camera to a tv or watch the videos on the camera they appear just fine. When I pull the .mod files off the camera they are very degraded looking. The faces in the videos are very washed out. The audio is great though. I've looked and searched for something to help me out. I converted the videos to .avi but they are just as bad. I've also went in and tried to edit the video to brighten and sharpen it. I've had no luck. I've searched the forum and can't seem to find anything that answers my question so I'm posting for help. Do anyone know of a way I can get my videos to be sharper and better looking quality so that I can burn them to dvd? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon FS40 video camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon FS40 video camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For this I took a trip to Canon.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 6:41 AM PST
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/fs40

This is not a HD video camera so it will be less that expected quality HOWEVER since you claim you want it on DVD we have a lot of questions to ask.

Since the .MOD might play in VLC PLAYER did you need to just play them off the DVD or were you thinking of creating a "Video DVD" which is indeed something of a standard.

But before we start, this is not even a 480p camcorder. It's 480i.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/fs40?pageKeyCode=ekbresults&CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&mType=Flash%20Standard%20Def&mName=FS40&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=17613

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300004607/01/FS40_FS400_IM_N_EN.pdf makes no mention of how to create a VIDEO DVD from this product except on page 120 using a DVD recorder.

The sharpest playback should be with VLC PLAYER on your PC or Apple.
Bob
Collapse -
PS. Since Canon was a bust.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 6:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
I have some questions, too...
by boya84 / February 4, 2013 9:28 AM PST

How did you "pull the .mod files off the camera"?

How did you convert the files to .AVI?

How did you "try to edit the video"? With what editor?

What computer hardware and operating system is being used to do all this?

Which media player was used on the camcorder to play the clips?

What was the environment when the video was recorded?

Collapse -
Response
by jesse13579 / February 4, 2013 10:25 PM PST

The .mod files are saved on an sd card inserted into the camera. I just pulled the card and copied the files..

I converted the .mod file to an .avi using Aimersoft video converter ultimate to convert the file.

I edited the video using Vidmex.

I did all this on a win xp pro and win 7 pro machines.

I viewed the clip using The KM player and VLC

This is a video of a grade level class play.

I appreciate the help.

Collapse -
Thanks, then I am confused
by boya84 / February 4, 2013 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Response

because if the video looks useable when the camcorder is connected to a TV, but "faces look washed out" when on the computer, that makes no sense to me.

Was VLC player used to play back the .mod files or the converted .avi files?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.