Cameras forum

Question

CANON ELPH 310HS CNET US Ratings against CNET UK ratings

by djriverajr / June 3, 2012 9:48 PM PDT

with reference to above canon model, I'm quite confused with the ratings by CNET US, which they gave 3.5 stars, against the 5 stars rating by CNET UK,..does it mean that they have different standards & criteria? in case which one is true?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CANON ELPH 310HS CNET US Ratings against CNET UK ratings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CANON ELPH 310HS CNET US Ratings against CNET UK ratings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good Question
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 4, 2012 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Reviewer

Reviews are written by people, and people make judgements that don't always agree with someone else. So both reviews are true for the person who wrote it.

Collapse -
RE: CANON ELPH 310HS CNET US Ratings against CNET UK Ratings
by djriverajr / June 4, 2012 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Reviewer

thanks Piston! I do sincerely respect your honest opinion, ..but is it possible for CNET to consider this concerned & for them to clarify this issue?

Collapse -
Let me forward this to our editors...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 5, 2012 8:30 AM PDT

Personally I agree with PistonCupChampion... as "to each their own."

I know on CNET.com in the U.S., our editor's very rarely give out 5 stars, unless the product is just perfect.

Thanks for the observation.
-Lee
CNET Community

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to fix typo on 06/05/2012 at 3:45 PM PT

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry for the confusion
by joshua.goldman CNET staff / June 6, 2012 1:28 AM PDT

The US and UK sites do have different standards and criteria. However, we are currently working to bring all of the sites in line with one another so ratings are more consistent.
As PistonCupChampion said, though, we all have different opinions about what makes a good camera, or good product in general. While ratings are helpful for giving you a quick glimpse at whether you should consider a camera, they should not be the only thing you use to make your decision.
Read the reviews and you'll see there are some things that I might feel are bad or are not as good as you'd find on another camera, but don't matter to you. For example on this camera, I found the AF system when in Smart Auto picked the wrong subject too often and there's no option to override it. If you do most of your shooting in Program Auto, though, you can switch to Center AF and the problem goes away. It's really up to you if that's a deal breaker. It's not something that keeps me from recommending this camera, but something that did change my performance rating for it, which in turn lowered the overall rating.

Collapse -
thanks for clarifying
by katekim89 / June 21, 2012 4:33 PM PDT

i agree that reviews are still subjective and that it should not only be the basis... this is also why there are forum threads... i experienced something like this too but for another product...i appreciate you letting us know that US and UK CNET sites have different standards and criteria... what's important is you're working on it...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.