Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon E18 Error

by rhompie / January 11, 2005 8:15 PM PST

Has anyone out there experienced an E18 error with the Canon Powershot A95? I'm trying to decide between the A75 and the A95 at this point. They've both received decent reviews from Consumer Reports, but there's no mention of any E18 problems in their reviews. Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon E18 Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon E18 Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
E18 With A75 vs A95
by IhateE18 / March 3, 2005 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Canon E18 Error

I've had a Canon A75 for about 9 months and my friend has had an A95 for about 1 month. We've both experianced the E18 error once. I was able to fix mine myself, he is in the process of tinkering with his now. I think you'll find the E18 error either way. Canon should come out with a camera called the E18, it happens frequently enough, that way people would know what they're getting into.

Collapse -
Canon E18
by lilaruth / March 13, 2005 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: Canon E18 Error

I've owned the Canon Powershot A60 for about 2 years, and loved everything about the camera...until the dreaded E18 struck (also struck my son's Powershot A75 at the same time) just before a big family event which we were planning to document. Such a downer! There's not too much documentation about it from Canon, and doesn't seem to be much help either. My son bought extended warranty, so his will go back, but mine is out of warranty, and will be replaced. I've been a loyal Canon person for about 40 years...but plan on giving Fuji a look, for my next digital. I would hesitate to recommend any of the point and shoot Canon digitals.

Collapse -
E18 quick fix
by phs01 / March 22, 2005 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Canon E18

I'm sure that every1 looking at this right now would love to be able to do a quick fix for the dreaded E18 error. Well, I have fixed mine several time in less time that it takes to take a picture. So here it is: This error occurs when the lens is "stuck" or not extending "straight". The error can happen in 3 ways: either when the lens wont "come out", or "comes out" and then retracts, or does not retract at all. Mine did all of these at one stage or another.
1) If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, but then retracts again, do as follow:
Turn the camera off. Place the camera on it's back with the lens facing up and have a look at the "spacing" between the lens and the lens housing. You'll probably notice that the gap is NOT EVEN all the way around. To fix this, simply -VERY GENTLY- press down on the side where the gap is the biggest. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Try powering it back on.
2) If the lens is extended all the time and won't retarct at all, do as follow:
Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently, in turn, take the two part of the lens and gently move it round in a cuirclar movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will once again hear a little "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on.
This has worked for me many times and it seems to happen when the camera has been carried around and possible had a little knock. I hope this is of help to someone else.

Collapse -
Dude, you ROCK
by g*man / March 27, 2005 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: E18 quick fix

I was totally worried about this based on all the web info - to the point of considering selling my camera. I am back in business, all thanks to your post.

Nice call!!!

g.

Collapse -
Thank you phs01
by jw11 / April 3, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

I dropped my camera and was then receiving the dreaded E18 error. After reading your posting I was able to fix it. I resorted to tugging on the lens,as gently as possible, and it extended after a little prodding.
Here is the kicker...we are scheduled to have our first child tomorrow and we would have been without our camera. You are a lifesaver.

Collapse -
Thanks - and another way to fix e18
by nettaki / April 18, 2005 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you phs01

After trying phs01's advice, my dad fixed the camera in a different way:
our problem was that the lens was fully extending, then retracting. What he did was while the lens was out, he kind of "twisted" it, and it probably went back to its original position. That did the trick...

Thanks for your tips in the forum!

Collapse -
Thanks so much!
by coonkitty / June 12, 2005 12:35 PM PDT

Thanks to both phs01 and nettaki. I was unable to get my A60 to extend enough in the off position to twist it back into position. It was exposing only one segment when "off." However, I figured it was close to dead one way or the other so I tried it while it was on and fully extended. I had to take off the small plastic collar to get a grip, but it worked!

I have a 9 yr. old son that uses it for animation (frame-by-frame) and was he devestated to think he had broken it. Apparently, it took a 3 inch nose dive off the mini-tripod onto a moderately soft surface, so that's how sensitive these things are.

Boy, do I miss my old Fuji Finepix, which met its demise after it didn't take so well to being dropped on the tile floor. But that's another problem.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Thank you
by ckuruvi / October 16, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

I have had this camera with the E-18 error for sometime now and wondering what needs to be done. Thanks to you, this tip of yours just worked perfect.

Collapse -
Thanks so much!
by SweetSweetness / April 29, 2005 1:52 AM PDT

Thanks for letting us know about how to fix the error...it was really annoying and frustrating!

Collapse -
I Have My Camera Back!
by fielden lundy / May 23, 2005 3:54 PM PDT

I must add my own "You Rock!'

My Canon S110 has been out of commission with the E18 error since January. I have been unemployed and couldn't afford to get it repaired/replaced/exchanged. I've been disappointed to miss so many photo opportunities.

I happened to follow a link out of Amazon's reviews which led me first to a fix for the E18 error that involved essentially disassembling the camera completely! Way scary. Even for someone like me who is mechanically adept.

Then I found your CNET thread. I had pushed and pulled at the lens before, but, following your excellent instgructions, I pushed straight down. I heard the little click as it snapped back into the track. It works!
Now I know how to keep it in working order!

Despite all of the negative comments and despite this experience, I truly love my Elph. It has served me very well. I especially like that I can drop it into my pocket and yet have it accessible at a moment's notice.

Thank you again!

Best,

Fielden Lundy

Collapse -
Thanks for my Canon A75
by FXTO / May 26, 2005 8:49 PM PDT

I followed you advice number 2 and it works perfectly.

I did not see the error code E18 but the lens could not retract and the autofocus was down.

I add a translation for french users:
Canon appareil num

Collapse -
e18 fix
by ootnaboot / June 2, 2005 2:14 AM PDT

I tried the rotate method without any luck. But what 'did' work was firmly knocking on the USB side of the camera as the lens was trying to extend.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice
by craigandjane / July 5, 2005 7:42 AM PDT

Great job! Our A75 died while we were on vacation last week. With our camera however, gentle twisting was unsuccessful. Finally used one of those kitchen ''thingys'' (for getting caps off bottles, jars etc) on the lens. It really need a heavy hand, but it worked like a dream. Thanks to you and all on here with suggestions for the fix. Saved us a lot of $$$$

Collapse -
you've got to be kidding me!
by twjones / September 13, 2005 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the advice

I've had the E18 problem from week 5 of owning the A75 Canon camera. Frustrating to say the least! It seemed to resolve itself after 4 months of non-use, so I was back to being picture happy. 3 months after that - kaput again. I've wasted the last month figuring it's time to buy a new camera. So finally I resort to this message board, try the rotating lens & whacking "techniques" to no avail. Then I read this post about "forcing" the lens with a kitchen tool. So I took a flat edged metal spatula and inserted it into the lens while I held down the power on button. Instant success! Unbelieveable - I cannot thank you guys enough! I've got an old friend's wedding this weekend and an 8 week old niece to snap copius pictures of - this is the best news I've had in days.

Cheers, Tanja in Toronto

Collapse -
Can't seem to fix E18 error
by sarena / November 11, 2005 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the advice

I read through all your messages and tried what was sugested but I still can't seem to twist the lens to snap into place. Can you tell me if it is clock or counter clock ways and how much pressure can I use without making it worse? Thanks.

Collapse -
E18 Error Different
by riversnake / July 12, 2005 4:00 AM PDT

Hey guys...my E18 error appears to be a little different than what I am reading here: Power on lens extends, blank view screen, after a few seconds the error appears and powers off, then lens retracts. If I power on in preview mode, all is good; at least until I switch to take new photos.

Am I missing something here? Does the lens on yours extend (partially/almost fully/not at all)???

Collapse -
Fixed Mine too!!
by riversnake / July 13, 2005 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: E18 Error Different

OK so I checked my A80 again yesterday to see if this would work...and it did!! Looking at lens from front of camera, the lens was offset to the 7-8 o'clock position slightly. Gently applied pressure in opposite direction as lens closed-and it snapped!! When I powered on again, everything seems to working a-ok! Thanks!

Collapse -
I also have the E18 different problem
by mlocke / June 13, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: E18 Error Different

I have the same error. My Canon PowerShot A80 (which I loved and swore by for 2 years) turns on. Works perfectly except when I switch to take a picture, it has a blank screen (lens extends normally etc.) but after 2 or 3 seconds, beeps a few times and closes and shuts off. A split second before it shuts off, I see the little E18 in lower left corner. This Really sucks. I was planning on buying a new Cannon anyway, with a larger lens, but now hearing all these E18 problems, I'm looking else where. And I loved my Canon. Oh well?

Collapse -
E18
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 13, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

Before you give up......
What you are describing can be caused by a bad battery.

If one of the AA batteries goes bad, it reduces the voltage to the camera. This would affect the lens motor more than other parts.

If you have a voltmeter, you can measure the voltage of each battery to determine if a battery is bad.

The other method is to just replace all four of the batteries.

Collapse -
Thanks for the tips!
by mlocke / June 14, 2006 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: E18

Didn't think about that. I'll try new batteries before I give up. I forgot that the rechargable batteries go bad after a while.

Thanks,... I'll try and repost if it fixes the issue.

~ Mike

Collapse -
E18 problem with SD450
by rmplmn / June 20, 2006 1:48 PM PDT

My problem is definitely not a battery. The lens is extended and is now not even attempting to go back in. What way do you turn it if you want to force it back in? I don't want to break this camera and i don't know that i even have a warranty...

Collapse -
E18
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 21, 2006 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: E18 problem with SD450

First you should find out if you camera is still under warranty. Most cameras come with a year warranty.

If the warranty has expired, contact Canon and get an estimate for repair. Then determine if you want to have it repaired.

If you decide to not have it repaired, you have little to lose by doing a little pushing and twisting.
Read this entire thread and get some hints for things to try.

There is the possibility that you may cause more damage.

Collapse -
E18 Powershot A520
by dhigdem / October 14, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

My situation is: camera wouldn't close and would turn itself off, with the lens extended. After turning it on and off multiple times and giving it a small tap, it went in on its own. Now, it won't come back out. My son got the lens to come out using the paper trick, and then lens will easily rotate in and out (manually), but the camera still gets the E18 msg and won't stay powered on. Batteries are ok. Any more ideas??

Collapse -
fixed but still noisy
by royraz / July 12, 2005 5:24 PM PDT

I was following the knocking on the side annd pressing on the gap - the lens finaly move in and out but with a noise of grinding....
do you have it too? - any way to get it better?
Thx.
Roy

Collapse -
E18 error on canon IXUS 500.
by chillquik / August 6, 2005 2:05 AM PDT

The lens doesn't even come out so none of the help messages are helping. When i turn the camera on, it then makes a strange noise and then turns off again. I cant see any movement when the noise is happening. Please can you help me, i am going on holiday very soon.

Collapse -
E18 error on Canon IXUS 500 (S500)
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 6, 2005 3:41 AM PDT

There is not much you can do to fix a digital camera.
Make sure that the battery is fully charged.

If the tricks listed in this thread have not worked, you will probably have to contact Canon repair service.

Collapse -
There are suggestions for you
by vonlar / June 21, 2006 1:26 AM PDT

Check the messages more carefully, there are a lot of tips for you, even if the lens isn't coming out. See my earlier post and the post I was replying to. The same thing happened to me.

Collapse -
Great fix, been working on the camera for days
by fishheadhunter / August 11, 2005 1:07 PM PDT

Hi E18
I am Electronics Engineer work for Maxtor Corp.
My camera worked great up to this point very happy(S410)got stuck in the lense extended, out position with low battery. Nothing worked, I had no idea what went wrong. It would only produced a blank screen and the E18 error it would not do anything else, and then shut down.
Then I rocked the extended lense and rotated the two pieces, firmly but gently. Then finally it retractred and is working good.
There is another fix "DON'T DO IT" by taking the camera apart, the S410 is too complicated to do this.

Thanks for the advice!!!!
Fishheadhunter

Collapse -
Which Way?
by nikyo / September 6, 2005 1:59 AM PDT

Which way should i turn the lens, clockwise or counter?
thanks
nik

Collapse -
E18
by sdshortcake / October 11, 2005 7:29 AM PDT

My E18 problem has been going on for 3days now. But instead of the lense closing unevenly, it closes evenly but an even gap all the way through and delays for a couple of seconds and beeps then turns off. I tried blowing the lens w/ an air compresser but that didn't work. Is there anything else I could try?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.