Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Canon Digital Rebal XT

by topher2041 / October 4, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

I need somebody to help me with this one. I have a Canon Digtal Rebel XT. Canon says the Rebel XT is compatible with Vista with out any drivers. I should be able to plug it in and Vista will recognize it and let me pull pictures into Windows Photo Gallery. I have not been able to get this to work.

The machine sees the Camera by classifies it as not as a Camera but as a different kind of device so Photo Gallery will not pull the photos in. Is there a way to fix this? I have tried Canon and they are telling me to reload Vista because the USB drivers are messed up. Sure they are! All my other devices work fine including another Canon camera. I hvae gotten around it by using a card reader but that is a pain.

How can i fix this. I am going to try Canon again but do not seem to think it is them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon Digital Rebal XT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon Digital Rebal XT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be sure to try it on another machine first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Digital Rebal XT

You didn't tell much about your machine or what USB devices work. There are too many issues to cover. Ready?

1. Your machine. Since you didn't share I am left to guess it can be your machine.
2. Your camera settings. Some cameras have a setting for PTP and or MSC (modes). You didn't share what you set yours to and I didn't see a link to a fine manual for me to look over. (This is all volunteers so when I change a tire for you, I expect you to supply all the parts.)
3. At first I thought about disabled USB Storage devices but you did use a card reader so that's not it.

Collapse -
More Info
by topher2041 / October 4, 2007 3:48 AM PDT

1. Dell XPS XPS710 - Quad Core - 4G RAM - 2.40GHz

2. Here is the link to the manual. It is under driver/downloads section. Here camera is set to PC Connection in stead of printer.

3. It actually shows up under the Imaging Devices in device manager. It does show up in the Scanners and Cameras control panel as a camera but in Photo Gallery it does not show as a import option. If I plug in my Canon PowerShot SD630 it shows up under Device Manger as a Portable Device and still shows up in Scanners and Cameras and also shows up as an import option under Photo Gallery.

It did work fine in Windows XP with the settings on the camera as it is at right now.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if there is any other info that might be helpful.

Collapse -
Is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

Is "EOS USB WIA Driver 6.0.0a for Windows Vista" installed?

Collapse -
More Info
by topher2041 / October 4, 2007 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Is ...

It is installed. I have tried it a few times. Uninstalled and reinstalled it with no luck.

Collapse -
From what I see...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

It's only a PTP enabled camera. That is I don't see the MSC mode enabled or noted in the manual. Have you seen that?

Collapse -
Re: From what I see....
by topher2041 / October 4, 2007 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: From what I see...

I looked in the manual pg. 124. It does say pick either [PC Connection] or [PTP/Print] as your options. The camera is set to [PC Connection].

This camera also worked on my previous XP machine just fine with the same setup.

Collapse -
Found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Vista Support
by topher2041 / October 4, 2007 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Found it.

HEre it is listed below and all I want to do is Download Images.

Issue: Does my product support Windows Vista?

Solution: Microsoft Windows Vista compatibility information for supported Canon digital cameras

This model is supported for direct connection downloads using the drivers built into Windows Vista
Canon has completed initial testing of PowerShot and EOS Digital SLR cameras and has found that all camera models that support PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) may be used with Windows Vista as is. No additional drivers are needed to download images using the applications built into Windows Vista. For remote shooting or custom camera settings, additional drivers and/or software may be required. To view the available Windows Vista compatible applications and drivers please visit the website listed below.
Note: For the PowerShot SD430 wireless communication is not currently supported however direct connection via USB may be used.

When you use the applications supplied with the camera, you need to update them to the versions supported with Windows Vista.

The present compatibility with Windows Vista is as follows
Collapse -
So we see PTP is supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2007 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Support

But not the PC Connection. These are 2 different things.

The PC Connection I saw was where a drive letter showed up. PTP is another mode.

Collapse -
by mopscare42 / October 5, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Support

Did you load the Canon software that came with the camera? or download and install it from the Canon site?
I have the Canon 30D that uses the same Canon utility and zoom browser as your camera and after installing it on my computer, which is running Windows Vista home premium I just plug in the camera to a USB port, turn it on and it comes right up.
I think I did have to get a update from the Canon site for Vista though.
I never could get the camera to work with the drivers and software that comes with Vista.

Collapse -
by topher2041 / October 6, 2007 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Software

I do not remember changing it or Vista requires the other connection but I changes the option from [PC Connection] to [Print/PTP] and now it works.

Thansk for the help. I should of tried it earlier.

Collapse -
Communication Print/PTP
by rsv1060 / February 21, 2009 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Canon Digital Rebal XT

Simple - Download and install the Vista Rebel XT drivers from canon Once installed...........go to camera menu and switch the communication to Print/PTP. Don't forget to switch it back if you're connecting to an XP machine. Good Luck

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.