Computer Help

Question

Cannot update java

by Gabichen / March 3, 2013 12:13 PM PST

Hi, can somebody help. I cannot update java. I get the error message that the file jre.1.7.0_07-c.msi can not be found. I deleted all previous Java programmes (probably wrong move). But cannot or do not find the right programme.
I got a window xp 32bite machine.

Thanks for helping

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot update java
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot update java
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please Try It This Way....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Cannot update java

First, attempt to uninstall all Java from the Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs.. Once that's done, download, unzip, then install and use the Java Ra program to uninstall everything that's left..

http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/javara-download/

If you still have remnants, then use the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from the link below.. Install and run Revo, then select ONLY the Java items listed and let the program remove them.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Click on the link to Oracle's Java below, select the box to "Accept License Agreement", then click on the download link to the OFFLINE version for "Windows x86 Offline". At the current moment, the most current version of the installer will have a file name "jre-7u17-windows-i586.exe" . When the file is downloaded to your desktop, then exit all your browsers and double click on the file to install it.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
worked
by Gabichen / March 4, 2013 2:45 PM PST

Thanks a lot, Grif. I actually found a post of you on an earlier discussion. Did all the steps. And, hey, it finally worked.

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: worked
Collapse -
1 leftover gone, 1 stays
by R-U-Bn / May 13, 2013 8:33 PM PDT

Hello Griff,

The revo uninstaller found one java installation left and removed it, but now it seems java 7 (64b) cannot be installed because there is another leftover, Java 7 update 6 (64b - C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_06\), which makes it still impossible to install. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Collapse -
Last leftover removed with Ms FixIt
by R-U-Bn / May 13, 2013 8:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 1:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Java Resolution
by Fretinapaul / May 15, 2013 8:10 PM PDT

Yes, I aggree with Grif. Uninstallation sometimes may leave some related services which may also result in failure of latest version. Control panel --> Add/Remove Programs, Registry and services are to be completely removed and a reboot will also help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.