Camcorders forum

Question

Cannot transfer videos from Canon HG10

by thiruaru / June 2, 2012 4:12 PM PDT

Other websites say that once you plug the camera into the USB port, it would be recognized as an external hard drive to transfer the videos off of. When I plug in the camera it remains unrecognized and doesn't show up at all. How do I transfer the videos to my computer then?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot transfer videos from Canon HG10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot transfer videos from Canon HG10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did it ever work? (show up as a drive?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2012 4:04 AM PDT

If not, then you either have a dud camcorder, bad cable or PC issue. Try another PC first since the camcorder maker does not repair your PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Never did
by thiruaru / June 6, 2012 9:21 AM PDT

Never did show up as an external drive and we tried 4 other computers and it only showed up on one.

Collapse -
And tell more about the one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2012 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Never did

My bet is it's some PC with a factory installed OS. I'm finding many owners lost about XP and drivers. Sadly I only write about drivers but can't go very deep about them other than you need them.

Also, XP didn't support USB 2.0 yet you wrote XP below. USB 2.0 support was added later.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are two ways
by boya84 / June 3, 2012 2:14 AM PDT

to get the highly compressed AVCHD video into a computer.

Connect the HG10's USB port to the computer's USB port and put the HG10 in Play or PC mode.

1) When the camcorder shows up as an external drive, locate the MTS files and copy them to the computer. If you want to play back the video, VLC Player is a good tool. If you want to edit the video, then the MTS files need to be transcoded to something useful. MPEG Streamclip from www.squared5.com or Handbrake from www.handbrake.fr are both very useful.

2) Use an AVCHD-capable video editor to import or capture the video. The editor will deal with that transcoding and decompression step. Relatively current versions of Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere are the usual suspects for the Windows environment as it is only recently that MovieMaker became AVCHD capable (assuming the computer hardware is acceptable). Apple Macintosh OSX and iMovie and Final Cut (Express and Pro) have been able to deal with AVCHD video for several years... assuming adequate RAM, available hard disc space and CPU...

You have not told us which computer, operating system, RAM, hard disc drive space, CPU... for all we know, your computer is underpowered... You have also not told us what you want to do with the video...

Collapse -
My computer
by thiruaru / June 6, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: There are two ways

It doesn't show up as an external drive at all or anything. We use a Windows XP Home version, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 Ghz and 0.99 gb of Ram, 190 GB hard drive.

Collapse -
Did you ever get a solution??
by annemarieac / September 14, 2012 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: My computer

I'm having the same issue. My computer doesn't even see my HG10 and it's running Windows 7.

Collapse -
What worked for me
by MichaelFMC / June 17, 2014 7:07 PM PDT

I had the same problem using Windows 7 until I plugged in the power supply. Opened the drive for the Canon HD10 immediately.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.