Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Cannot start XP Security Center

by purplemarty / January 1, 2007 3:44 AM PST

For the last several months, every time I checked XP Security Center it was turned off, but I could go to Admin. Tools -> Services and start it. Under services it was set to "automatic"; finally I changed that to "boot" and then it would always be started when I checked....Until about a month ago, when it wasn't running and I was unable to start it and still can't because I get the error message:
"Could not start the Security Center on local computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified."
I checked the "path" specified and it shows the following:
\SystemRoot\C:\Windows\System32\Svchost.exe -k netsvcs
I checked my husband's PC and path on his does not have the \SystemRoot\ at beginning; I don't know if there is any way to correct this.
I ran the Microsoft malicious tools software, and every spyware and virus tool I could get my hands on but nothing "bad" showed up. I routinely run Spybot, Spyware scanner, Windows Defender, Ad Aware, and Bazooka (spyware) scanner. I've never gotten any of the Security Center alerts when running spybot as other people have.

I feel like something abnormal had to make this change to the path, but don't know what or why.

I am running XP Home Edition, have had Service Pack 2 for quite some time and routinely download and install all updates except IE7 which I don't want.

We have 2 PC's on a home network, both running XP. We have DSL and each PC is independently connected.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Marty

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot start XP Security Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot start XP Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Cannot start XP Security Center
by caktus / January 1, 2007 3:54 AM PST
Collapse -
thanks
by purplemarty / January 1, 2007 4:53 AM PST

THANKS SO much, Charlie. This worked like a charm. I'm still curious to what caused this problem, but very glad to have it fixed. Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
RE: curious to what caused this problem...
by caktus / January 1, 2007 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

probably a corrupt registry value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc. Why did it happen. Who knows. But most likely the result of installing or uninstalling a poorly written application.

Glad you got it worked out.

Collapse -
Security Center always "disabled" on startup
by purplemarty / March 9, 2007 6:10 AM PST

I now have another problem with the Security Center...I have it set on "automatic" but it is always "disabled" on startup. I can go in and start it, but I don't always remember....Any ideas on this problem? I've tried running that litle program again but it doesn't help.
Thanks

Collapse -
I CANT USE WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATES[GREYED OUT} !
by rexlperrry / March 12, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

MICROSOFT SENT E-MAILS SO LONG IT KEPT ME BUSY ALL WEEKEND! SENT NOTEPAD REPORT TO MICROSOFT, PLUS MY E-MAIL {ATT YAHOO RUNNING ERRORS 4 AND 5 } THINKS ITS CORRUPT REGISTRY BRANCHES HKEY_LOCAL_MACHICE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICE\WUAUSERV AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHICE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM\ROOT\LEGACY-WUAUSERV THIS LAPTOP IS ONLY 5 MONTHS OLD HP 9000T PAVILION , OH I FORGOT ITS AN HP LOL! PATH IS BAD TOO! ILL POST LATER! YAHOO RADIO DOESNT WORK, PLUS OTHER CRAPO! POST LATER!

Collapse -
TRY WINPATROL
by rexlperrry / March 12, 2007 1:32 AM PDT

LOOK FOR A PROGRAM HERE IN DOWNLADS CALLED WIN PATROL , GREAT PROGRAM, YOU CAN DELAY ANYTHING YOU WANT AT START UP! FOR 30 SECS TO ???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.