HP forum

General discussion

Cannot send or receive faxes with HP 5610 All In One

by Rustooka / February 5, 2010 4:17 AM PST

I have checked and re-checked the set up. Fax tests come back "pass"
When I try to send I hear the dial tone,machine dial the number,and the phone ring. After 4 rings I get a busy signal no matter what fax number I try to fax. If I call my fax line from another phone, I hear the computor tones and the phone line is clear of noise or static. I have disconnected every other device(phones,call display, answering machine and still get the busy signal. I have filters on every line except the modem for wireless internet.The fax is set higher than the answering machine ring number. This busy situation occurs wether I try to fax from the HP control panel or through the software. I simply just get confused trying to resolve this with the HP information. Anyone Had a similar problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot send or receive faxes with HP 5610 All In One
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot send or receive faxes with HP 5610 All In One
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP All In One Fax Problems
by dokley / February 9, 2010 3:28 AM PST

I have an HP 6500 Wireless all in one connected to a Vonage fax line. I had to toggle the fax baud rate to the lower numbers, 9600 or 14400 to get faxes through. Higher baud rates would not work. You should be able to adjust rate starting at 9600 and test at that level, then try at 14400, etc.

Good luck, it can be frustrating

Collapse -
HP Officejet 5610 can't send or receive faxes
by Rustooka / February 9, 2010 4:29 AM PST

Frustrating ?? For sure ! I'll try changing the baud rate.I think my problem may be in the connections I have two separate lines running from the same terminals in the basement. One line goes upstairs and has a jct box.From the jct box the following is connected in series:
DSL filter >digital call display unit >answering machine>cordless phone. The other line has a DSL filter>phone >wireless modem >DSL filter> 5610 All in One. My internet provider assures me that I dont need a DSL filter prior to each device as long as the line is filtered. I disconnected the upstairs line completely and removed the phone wire from the modem but it still didn't work.

Collapse -
Fax problem
by dokley / February 10, 2010 12:58 AM PST

DSL is a digital format and fax is analog so lowerig baud rate should compensate for diference. At least that has been my experience with the HP 6500 all in one on my DSL line.

Plus I have a filter in line as recommenmded for DSL. Afraid to remove it, don't want any more problems.

Would be interested to know if changing baud rate helps

Collapse -
HP 5610 All in One can't send or receive faxes
by Rustooka / February 11, 2010 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Fax problem

Have tried slow medium and fast settings - no change.
Disconnected every thing except the printer and still get a busy signal after four rings no matter what fax number I try to send the fax to.(also re-configured the fax wizard to this set up) Have tried fax default settings then set up wizard. Have removed and re-installed HP program as well. Still get the busy signal even when sending the fax manually from the HP control panel on the machine. Thanks for your suggestion and any others you can suggest.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.