Mac OS forum

General discussion

Cannot send email following upgrading to Snow Leopard

by 30jimbo30 / September 3, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

I wonder how widespread this problem is. My ISP is optimum on line and even following the setup instructions will not solve the problem. Apple tech support was very thorough, but they admit they could not resolve the issue. Anyone else having this problem?

I used Time Machine to restore my iMac to Leopard and the problem went away.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot send email following upgrading to Snow Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot send email following upgrading to Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All too common.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2009 12:17 AM PDT

I'm finding many users not to be adept at or even want to know how to setup email settings. Nothing wrong about that but at times we get to dive into the settings to change them back.
Bob

Collapse -
by avw / September 3, 2009 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: All too common.

No problem with sending or receiving e-mail but wish I could say the same for printing to OKI laser Printers.

Collapse -
Still having problems printing?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: e-mail

check the sticky on this forum

P

Collapse -
Cannot send email following upgrading to Snow Leopard
by blonde_b3 / September 4, 2009 8:16 PM PDT

I am perfectly competent at checking and and re-setting email settings thank you, but I too am experiencing exactly the same problem as the first in this thread. After upgrading to snow leopard my mail failed to send from any of my accounts in mail. No change to mail settings I checked, but then I deleted and re-set all mail settings and still no joy. I'm unimpressed with whatever has buggered up my mail so I'll be talking to Apple first thing tomorrow. Please let me know if there is a fix for this bug if anybody finds a fix...!

Collapse -
Another glitch out there is Hotmail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 8:51 PM PDT

Hotmail sent out a recent notice. Just our luck to have that and this change at the same time. Again, we get to check everything but be assured I read this discussion again and nothing tells me it's not a downed email server or a setting or firewall or "other." You don't want to know that the last dozen fixes I've done for THIS ISSUE has been settings. The owners are getting little things wrong or the email server is down. I wish it was something else.
Bob

Collapse -
Found the fix
by blonde_b3 / September 4, 2009 9:06 PM PDT

OK guys, I just found the fix on another forum. Apparently Snow Leopard has changed the mail setting such that now you have to put in password authentication for sending mail regardless of whether your ISP requires authentication for their smtp server or not. You have to go into mail preferences for each account and change smtp server settings to include password authentication, insert user name and password (the same ones used for receiving mail) and hey presto, you are now able to send mail again just like it worked in Leopard 10.5. Wouldn't it be nice if Apple bothered to inform everybody of this before setting little traps? I guess they forgot to communicate with eachother so nobody ended up telling their customers all over the planet either...

Collapse -
R.Profit go check the web some....
by blonde_b3 / September 4, 2009 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Found the fix

BTW, R.Profit - now wishing to sound unkind but you really should go check some other sources before twice telling people they can't put basic settings in their mail clients. It's called a perspective check, go get some. This 10.6 mail glitch is all over the web including apple staff saying they are aware it's real and already working on it. Sorry if I ended up sounding unkind but your tone is didactic and know-it-all.

Collapse -
Read that reply above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 9:36 PM PDT

"Snow Leopard has changed the mail setting such that now you have to put in password authentication for sending mail regardless of whether your ISP requires authentication"

Again, its a setting. All I'm sharing is that I have yet to find it not be a setting or a down server.

What are you finding?

As to tone, I apologize but am trying to share what I am encountering and hope those with the problem will keep trying.
Bob

Collapse -
The issue is not users making errors - it's a change in 10.6
by blonde_b3 / September 5, 2009 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Read that reply above.

Bob, yes it's a settings issue but it's a change in settings that is required by 10.6, not one required by the ISP or one that was previously required for mail to function normally. ie. your suggestion that users were getting little things wrong was not strictly the truth now was it? Us users were getting the settings exactly right according to the ISPs and according to Apple at first. Now we learn that Apple has realised that they changed the requirements in mail without warning any users or ISPs that for all outgoing server settings we must include password authorisation. That's not a down email server or users making errors in their settings Bob. Nice of you to provide the commentary, even better if you had provided the correct information for users to get their mail sending again and an explanation of what is different in snow leopard that caused this issue.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

Would it be OK by you to craft a sticky about this like the one about printing using your input? Make a good one and I'll sticky it!

Bob

Collapse -
by blonde_b3 / September 5, 2009 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for this.

Sticky sounds good, but what's a sticky? I found the 'official' fix for this mail problem at Apple support, perhaps this is good for a sticky:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2998

Geoff

Collapse -
Look at the forum you are posting in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2009 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Sticky
http://forums.cnet.com/mac-forums/mac-os-x-forum/
This Mac OS X forum has many posts. Today there is one at the top stuck at the top with a note like icon on it. That is the current sticky.

If you make a nice top post with the problem description, your solution and the link for further reading then I'll sticky it so others don't have to read this long discussion.
Bob
Collapse -
Sticky is up
by blonde_b3 / September 6, 2009 5:53 AM PDT

Thanks for the explanation Bob, I see that somebody has now put a sticky up with that link. Good to know a little more about how this forum works. Geoff.

Collapse -
That helped!
by Fred_Ehmann / September 5, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

Was having the same problem on our Macbook. Your link to that knowledge base article was the answer--thanks!

Collapse -
lost
by palnin / January 14, 2011 3:58 PM PST

i am lost in this forum thing, tried to download the update 10.6.1 to sort out my mail problems, but cant (not enough room?)
want to be able to use mail!!! i dont get why i could and now i cant.
please help!

Collapse -
Not enough room.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 14, 2011 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: lost

Is that a fact or just something that you assume?

Did you get any error messages indicating that you did not have enough room?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?
You can find that answer by opening your hard drive and looking at the bottom of the open window. The amount of free space is shown there.

What version of OS X are you currently running and what problems are you having with Mail?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.