Windows 7 forum

General discussion

cannot run skype win7 home premium

by cnusr / November 29, 2010 3:17 AM PST

Hello: skype 5 does not succeed in running on this win7 home premium fairly new (1 1/2 yr. old) laptop.

-error message : windows 7 msg opens saying the program could not open, error c0000005 (I may be missing a 0 or two).
-I used Revo Uninstaller. Then went into regedit & manually removed any remaining entries using the search term "skype", that Revo missed.
-ran Glary Utilities to remove any temp files & further check the registry.
-tried re-installing skype, both version 5 & v4.2. V. 5 gives the error msg c000005 as above, v4.2 says a later version is installed.
-I have done this several times.
-Contacted Skype tech support (email only, they have no live help except for paying skype users). The issue when I did so was that I initially could not even remove skype, prior to trying a clean install. Their single reply indicated that my message was not understood, since their reply said to remove a folder (shared.xml) that had not even been installed,and assumed skype had been installed and had run. It has never run successfully on this laptop. So I am not confident in Skype's own tech support.

Has anyone encountered & overcome this problem? I do not want to reinstall the whole OS just to succeed w/Skype. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot run skype win7 home premium
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot run skype win7 home premium
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only in one case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 3:52 AM PST

Or two. It was the old "not an administrator" issue and the second time it was the antivirus causing trouble.
Bob has skype 4.2 working and thanks for the post as I'll install 5.x RSN!

Collapse -
COOL. I tried this and got a similar error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Only in one case.

I have Skype 4.2 running and instead of exiting 4.2 I thought I'd see what happens if I tried to install 5.x without shutting down or exiting 4.2.

Yes there is a permissions issue on Program Files(x86)\Skype\Plugin Manager

This is NOT a Windows 7 Home Premium issue but something Skype didn't account for in the installer. Now that we know that the 5.x installer is broken you can either remove that Skype folder manually or wait for a fix.

Off to delete a folder!

Collapse -
Power tools time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Only in one case.
Collapse -
All fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Power tools time?

But you are right. It's bugged.

As you see above it did fail to install when I did it wrong. I did this on purpose to see if I could replicate the issue (and did.) Then I did a little research but purposely did not reboot.

A reboot and now it installed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.