Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot reply, forward or compose in Yahoo! mail

by maeganc2001 / October 21, 2004 6:04 AM PDT

I recently had my computer fixed after a crash..(re-installed windows xp)..since then I have been able to access, recieve, and read my Yahoo email account, but not send anything out. I click on re, fwd, or compose and the page starts to load, gives an "error on page" at the bottom left and does not work. When I click on the yellow ! a box comes up that says:

Line: 798
char: 7
error: access is denied
code: 0
url: http://us.f127.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose etc...

I can insert addresses, but cannot type in the message box.
Here's the weird thing, in that same window there is a button "send e-card". when I click on that I can send out e-cards with access to my address book and everything.
I have tried changing every setting I can think of in internet options (I have internet explorer 6.0) I have downloaded Java, I have tried everything.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This has been going on for over a month. I know it is my computer because I can send email from other computers.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot reply, forward or compose in Yahoo! mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot reply, forward or compose in Yahoo! mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot reply, forward or compose in Yahoo! mail
by rfrolick / October 28, 2004 11:28 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem. Is there a solution?

Collapse -
by maeganc2001 / October 29, 2004 2:19 AM PDT

Hi-
I have since downloaded the Netscape browser (go to netscape.com and dowload for free) and have had no problems with yahoo mail or anything else. See my reply to bob for more info.
good luck-
Maegan

Collapse -
by benvinxp / October 31, 2004 9:49 PM PST

Dear SIR I CANNOT SEND MY MESSAGES THROUGH YAHOO
I NEED HELP

Collapse -
Yahoo email Problems - HELP
by golfr1 / February 15, 2005 3:51 AM PST

DID you ever get your computer fixed with the problems with Yahoo. I am having the same and cant forward, reply and sometimes compose.

What did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Gary

Collapse -
Forwarding Mail
by matty1544 / December 24, 2006 5:07 AM PST

I am not able to forward mail or reply to messages that I have received in my inbox.

Collapse -
by swati / November 12, 2004 7:46 PM PST

Does it also happen when you use yahoopops while sending from OE ?

yahoopops.sourceforge.net/

Collapse -
It's an IE thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 12:14 AM PDT

Some of the settings may be wrong, but I don't have any specifics to check. What I do is to install Firefox (find with google.com) and see if that works. If so, the owner can use Yahoo and fiddle with IE.

Another item I use is IEFIX which automatically fixes many IE issues.

In closing, the settings of Meta-refresh, security settings and more are most likely the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's an IE thing.
by maeganc2001 / October 29, 2004 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: It's an IE thing.

Thanks Bob-
I seem to have "fixed" the problem by downloading Netscape. In Netscape I haven't had any problems with my email. Since it was the browser I first used years ago (before IE was automatically installed on every computer in the known universe) I am comfortable with it. But I will try the fixes you suggest and see if that works. As I mentioned I have toyed with just about every setting, including Meta-refresh and all the security settings, but maybe I missed just the right combination. The confusing thing is that before my computer crashed, I had been using both XP and IE with no problems. The guys who fixed my computer installed that XP Sevice Pack 2, and I am wondering if that my be the problem...
Thanks again for your help- Maegan

Collapse -
Re: It's an IE thing.
by swati / October 30, 2004 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: It's an IE thing.

yahoopops.sourceforge.net/ may help you.

Collapse -
by veg55chick / November 10, 2004 5:43 AM PST

Yeah, the same thing happened to me just today. But i can send mail when i use yahoo with Netscape.

I noticed that just starting today where it says To: that at the end of the box where you type the persons email adress, there is a double arrow thing, one pointing up and one pointing down...i think that just appeared today, so I am thinking that may have something to do with it. Does anyone else have the arrow thing?

Collapse -
by bshoemaker / November 28, 2004 12:59 PM PST

i THOUGHT MY COMPUTER WAS MESSED UP BUT NOW i SEE IT IS NOT JUST MINE. we haven't had a send button that worked since i installed the sp2 on our system. I'll try the solutions you all have mentioned. What is IEFIX?

Collapse -
What is Google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 8:22 PM PST

Type IEFIX into google.com to find out.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What is Google.
by duttonh / December 6, 2004 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: What is Google.

The actual website you should visit is http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm. Download the zip file, extract it, and then double-click on the .exe file. I checked both check boxes once in the utility (you'll understand what I mean once you're in the program) and then clicked the "Apply" button. Be patient after you click the apply button--it may take a moment or two to do it's "magic," but you should get a "Complete" dialogue box and then click "OK." This fixed my IE problems with replying, forwarding, and composing mail in my Yahoo Mail account. Thank you CNet for this site. I could find no other help elsewhere. Good luck!

Collapse -
Yahoo email problem
by madseason / December 29, 2004 2:42 AM PST

Has the IE fix worked for you guys? I will try it now. I have been using my pc whic runs ME to use my yahoo email. It does not work on my laptop which runs XP for the past 2 months. My hotmail also was not working for a few months and all the sudden just started working again.

Collapse -
download netscape
by maeganc2001 / January 2, 2005 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Yahoo email problem

my solution was to download netscape and use that as my browser instead of IE. go to netscape.com and download it for free. the only drawback is that you don't have the html options for your email. (smiley faces, fonts, colors)...my IE is still not working with yahoo. I wish someone from yahoo would address this problem.

Collapse -
Simple solution people ...
by mvr / February 1, 2005 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: download netscape

I actually had to register to post this reply. I wasn't going to, but the fix is SOOOOO easy, I felt compelled to share it.

I've been having the exact same problem as everyone else in this thread, Yahoo email: can't compose in HTML graphics, no reply box, no compose box, etc. Little white boxes with the red Xs in them for certain images ... it's java, plain and simple.

Microsoft and Sun Microsystems are not friends, this is not news. What is news is that a fresh install of XP, and especially XP SP2 will not include Java. This will cause untold problems with your IE browser, just like mine. I tried the hotfix download, didn't help at all. Netscape doesn't do the Graphic interface of Yahoo email, so there was no point in reloading that. I stumbled across the Java fix while on a DSL tech page, since I'll finally be upgrading to DSL next week and figured I should do some research ahead of time in case I run into any problems. Well, it was there that I realized not only was I unable to see any Java Applets, but that the Yahoo problem was a Java Script error.

I spent an hour and a half on dial up dowloading the latest version of Java here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Installed, rebooted, logged into Yahoo, changed my preferences back from plain text to the graphic interface, and ta-da, now I can send HTML mail, just like that. Might not work for everyone, but it's worth a try.

tr0y

Collapse -
SOLUTION: for error on page message using IE and yahoo mail
by davezmusic / February 4, 2007 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: download netscape

I've had a problem using Internet Explorer and yahoo mail. I was getting an 'error on page' message when I tried to get a screen to pop-up in IE7 (Internet Explorer 7) (when I tried to get the print page to pop-up with paypal) and when I tried to click on hyperlinks in yahoo email. I was searching for a solution for over a month and nobody had it. I tried everyone's suggestions: cleaning registry, getting updated version of JAVA, etc. without any results. The solution was to part with Internet Explorer and download FIREFOX as my new web browser. Firefox is only a little over 5 megs to download and it is blazing fast compared to IE7. I have an older PC w/ Pentum III, and firefox has been working like a charm. You can download it for free on firefox.com After you install it, remember to click on the Firefox Icon instead of Internet Explorer to do your web browsing.

Collapse -
Yahoo email problem - help
by golfr1 / February 15, 2005 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Yahoo email problem

Did you get the fix you need? I have the same problems. Please help

Gary

Collapse -
netscape
by maeganc2001 / February 15, 2005 10:11 AM PST

I downloaded netscape and have been using that as my browser instead of internet explorer. go to netscape.com and download it for free. my mail works fine now. none of the other fixes mentioned in this thread (and i have tried all) worked for me.

Collapse -
Fire Fox Is NOT A Fix!
by P0lel0ck / December 28, 2011 1:58 AM PST

FIRE FOX DOES THIS ALSO!!! I HAVE Fire Fox 8.0 and It Also Has This Issue!

Collapse -
Why are you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2011 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Fire Fox Is NOT A Fix!

replying to a post/discussion carried out in 2004 and 2005?

That's 6 to 7 years ago!

Mark

Collapse -
HELP Me
by golfr1 / February 15, 2005 3:52 AM PST

I am having the same problem now. Can you help?

Thanks,

Gary

Collapse -
SOLUTION: [DONE] Yahoo Mail Error on page
by ngwasuma / May 9, 2005 9:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
cannot reply, forward or compose in yahoomail
by sjames / July 20, 2005 10:57 PM PDT

can insert address and subject, but cannot type in message box.

I use windows xp
intel pentium 4 processor 2.8 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB Hard Disk.
Internet explore 6.0

This problem is giving me sleepless nights.
I need anwsers quickly please.

James
sjames4u@yahoo.co.uk

Collapse -
Solution to your problem with composition text box Yahoo
by revolt68 / August 6, 2005 2:30 AM PDT

Hi James

This is solution to your problem

1. Open your yahoo account
2. Click your Mail option Tab
3.Under Personalization, click General preferences
4.Under Composing Email Option, please tick : Compose messages as plain text
5. Click save at the bottom

You are done and you can compose emails.

Collapse -
Solution again---
by maeganc2001 / August 18, 2005 8:22 PM PDT

To whomever is having that annoying problem of not being able to type in the e-mail box with Yahoo and IE, please do what I did and download the latest Netscape 8.0 at netscape.com....great new browser with loads of security features-which you may need to take a minute to figure out....but it also has the ability to do html in your mail now- you know, fonts , colors, little smileys Happy So, I don't know what the ultimate problem was- but I know it lies with IE- and this solves it.
cheers- Maeganc
btw I did all the fixes offered here and nothing worked. Happy

Collapse -
IT WORKED ! Solution to problem with composition text box
by castcris2004 / September 26, 2005 7:42 AM PDT

Thank you, your advise worked, I started trying with the easiest solutions pointed out in the forum, and it worked !!(the contact person within Yahoo did'nt have any clue about how to solve the problem ....) .

Thank's a lot to CNET Forum, I will recommend the site.

Cris

Collapse -
SOLVED! Thanks!
by hector_argentina / October 25, 2005 3:52 PM PDT

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write and propose the solution (revolt68) I solved the problem and seems everything is OK now.

Thanks again,

Hector

Collapse -
Many thanks!
by haru_o / December 11, 2005 3:55 AM PST

I had a similar problem with yahoo for a few weeks now. I've been searching discussion groups and came across this one.

When I try to click on compose, my message box was missing. Revolts yahoo preferences solution has fixed it for me.

I have a Dell 4600 using IE.

Thanks also for mvr's post about windows and SP2. I will try downloading Java (when I have time as I also only have dial up)cause I would still like to be able to view pics and use color and smileys.

Aloha!
Reid

Collapse -
No reply with yahoo, and Mail Option change cannot be saved
by castcris2004 / December 19, 2005 7:46 PM PST

Can anybody help ?
Last time I followed the Forum's advise, changed Mail Option into text, and it was possible to write again messages with yahoo.
After I downloaded Java and was able to use Html format again. (OP system is windows XP).

But now things are worse, I can't change Mail Options anymore, because when I try to save, I get Error on page and nothings happens.

Only difference, I installed FotoMail (new service for attaching pictures) few days before problems started ... has anybody made the same experience ?
(Yahoo technical assistance seems no to know what to do....).

Thanks a lot
Cristina

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.