Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cannot Remember Micros. 2003 office password

by soba18 / January 24, 2010 12:05 PM PST

backed up all files to external hard drive & a flash drive. After unsuccessful attempts to access any files I finally found a way to do it. Only to discover that I need the original password used when I set up my 2003 Office email and accompanying calendar. I have tried every password I can remember from 2003 but nothing will open the folder. I have a fairly consistant logon name but I used to be more "creative" with passwords. The popup window that asks for login info. shows up repeatedly requesting the password.
HELP. thanks Holly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Remember Micros. 2003 office password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Remember Micros. 2003 office password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer is at
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 12:07 AM PST
http://www.lostpassword.com

The nice part of this answer is if you write it's not worth that much then you just set a price on those files.
Bob
Collapse -
lost Office 2003 Password
by soba18 / January 25, 2010 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: The answer is at

Thanks, but I'm not sure where I wrote that the files weren't worth that much. They are important files regarding my business info.

And WOW the cost to retrieve a lost password (thank for link !) is more than I can spend. I just purchased a new laptop and my desktop is barely 1 year old. It's those files I transferred but can't access.

Collapse -
Right here is where ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 25, 2010 2:40 AM PST

you indicated that the files aren't worth that much (as Bob hinted) --

"And WOW the cost to retrieve a lost password (thank for link !) is more than I can spend. I just purchased a new laptop and my desktop is barely 1 year old. It's those files I transferred but can't access."

The cost of recovery is one good reason for backing up that which we do not want to risk loosing.

Having said this, there is one site that you might want to visit to download a couple of password recovery tools that are application oriented (such as MS Outlook specific) and that would be here -
http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html

No guarantee but since you have already indicated the cost is too high trying these can't hurt.

Collapse -
thanks, all set
by soba18 / January 26, 2010 2:36 AM PST

Although I know you are trying to help me, you're not getting what I'm saying:

I backed up files ("one reason to backup)
I cannot remember the passcode established in 2003
I can't affort $300 to remember it
The files are important as 2003 was one of my best years since inception in 1992 but 70% of those customers have either moved, passed away or pets have passed on
files are taking up lots of space on hard drive, flash drive and external back up but I can't access them because I can't remember my passcode established in 2003 so I can't delete obsolete files either.

My only solution is to go onto a really old computer and access it's hard drive, delete old files and backup again with the ones I need.
If I get audited in 2010 I will need the financial info. in those files.
No biggie, I'm sure I'll figure something out it will just take 100% more time than I wanted to spend. That's life :-).

Collapse -
Freeware Password Recovery Software.
by Master3203 / January 26, 2010 5:38 PM PST
Collapse -
so you need reset office password
by recoverytoolsupport / January 29, 2010 11:00 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.