Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot recognize USB devices

by chow_yee / March 8, 2004 7:11 PM PST

Hi. I'm helping my friend troubleshooting his Acer Travelmate 280 notebook. His notebook runs Windows XP Home Edition.

His notebook has 2 USB ports, and whenever we plug any USB devices into the USB ports, sometimes in Device Manager, it will be listed as Unknown Device, sometimes, it may list what the device is (for example, Unknown Mouse).

When we try the Add New Hardware Wizard, we will get this message: Cannot Run Two Hardware Installations, saying that Hardware Installation Is On The Way, Please Wait Installation Finishes. Why did this happen, as there are no hardware installed other than this, besides that, every other device in Hardware Manager is enabled and running well?

Yes, by the way, I saw that IRQ 10 was shared by Intel Extreme Graphics and the Intel USB controller, and IRQ 17 was shared by Intel USB Controller and Ethernet NIC. I don't think I can disable Intel Extreme Graphics, but I can disable the Ethernet NIC, however, it still doesn't work.

May I know is there any solutions to this? I think this is more to a software problem than to a hardware problem, right? Thanks a lot!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot recognize USB devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot recognize USB devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Cannot recognize USB devices and not installing USB driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2004 8:10 PM PST

I see two issues.

1. USB is not to the point where you plug in devices and they work (all the time.) In fact, you cause real pain to the users by doing that since special instructions on how to start over (I've seen people reload the OS!) In short, you install the drivers, then the USB device.

2. The IRQ sharing is by design.

Bob

Collapse -
Why is it so not automatic?
by chow_yee / March 8, 2004 9:22 PM PST

Hi Robert. Thanks for your advice. I'd tried by right clicking on the device in Device Manager, Reinstall Driver and it worked. I didn't install special drivers, all I used was the generic drivers as supplied by Microsoft.

Eventhough this does solve the problem, I'm still quite unhappy with its 'laziness' of detecting new devices. I don't believe that for each and every devices that I install (mouse, USB hubs, flash disk) etc., I have to manually ask Windows to 'Reinstall The Driver'. On other systems, if it needs drivers from me, a Window will come out asking me to 'feed' it with drivers, if it does not require one, a 'pop' sound will be produced and voila! The device works. But why is it so with this computer? It isn't an old computer which can't support Plug and Play, neither is the Windows XP on this system outdated (it has been updated. I've checked its BIOS and did not see anything suspicious.

I checked the System Event Viewer, and saw a few warnings by PlugPlayManager (Event ID 270), saying that the user interface has been supressed due to Factory setting. I thought it would be that something is altered in the "Plug and Play" service properties, so I compared it with my 'normal' computer, and found that every setting inside is the same.

What do you think is the remedy to this problem? Besides that, what should I do so that the Add Hardware Wizard will run normally, and not display the message "Cannot Run Two Device Installations"?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Why is it so not automatic?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2004 9:37 PM PST

Welcome to the current state of affairs. It's a PC with all the warts and more that have followed a some 20 year development cycle. If you want to see a bit more seamless setup, you shouldn't be looking at the usual PC, but a Macintosh.

Why is this still happening? It's the money.

To bring the PC and the OS down in price, shortcuts and omissions are everywhere. I have no remedy to the problem except to understand why this is so.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Why is it so not automatic?
by Cursorcowboy / March 9, 2004 12:25 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.