Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Cannot reacquire music licenses for .wma tracks

by pspan / September 17, 2009 7:04 AM PDT

I got a new computer. I have about 280 songs that are .wma that were purchased from Musicmatch/Yahoo/Rhapsody. I tried to get them to help me and they won't. I have tried some software to convert them, but unless I have the license in place they will not work. Is there a way to convert these songs so I don't have to pay $280 to buy them again?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot reacquire music licenses for .wma tracks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot reacquire music licenses for .wma tracks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: licenses
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2009 8:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
by pspan / September 17, 2009 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: licenses

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that I do not have the licenses for my songs because Musicmatch was taken on by Yahoo, which was taken on by Rhapsody. The Tunebite software tried to reaquire the license, but was not able to because of all the changes in the provider. It correctly tried to get the license on the song I tested which was bought from Musicmatch, but they are not available anymore. Does anyone know of a way to convert these songs from .wma files to .mp3 files without the license?
Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Re: license
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2009 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Licenses

I assumed:
- you still had your OLD computer
- you still could play the tracks on your OLD computer
Then you should be able to do the trick on that one.

Sorry to have misunderstood you. What I understand now: your old computer is broken, so you can't use it any more. And you don't have a backup of the licenses, only of the music.
Yeah, then it's a problem.

Collapse -
by pspan / September 17, 2009 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: license

So Kees, now that you understand my situation, is there any way to retrieve my music?

Collapse -
Same issue - Lawsuit worthy
by djdevo / November 14, 2014 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: licenses

I gave up, but still have all the music purchased on an external HD.
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to sue MusicMatch or whoever they are now.
It's ridiculous that I can't move or listen to the music I've legally purchased, but anything DL'd from P2P has no problems at all. No wonder people want to steal music!

Collapse -
Sorry for that
by Vzardy / November 1, 2009 4:45 PM PST

As far as I know, most of the DRM removal software works in the same way by re-recording the original files with authorized license, like my version downloaded from

So it's better to make a copy with a right DRM removal software when you purchase music or movie from on-line store like iTunes, Napster, Rhapsofy, Amazon unbox, or Zune Marketplace etc

Collapse -
by joe damore / June 14, 2013 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for that

I have the exact same problem and have $300.00 worth of tracks in wma that I can't play. It has caused me to head more toward free music rather than more tracks (mp3) on Rhapsody. They are the losers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.