Windows Vista

General discussion

Cannot print multiple copies

by hmiller2 / November 15, 2007 4:27 AM PST

I cannot print multiple copies from MS Word Word Processor with VISTA Home Premium. I have updated the driver for my Canon PIXMA MP160 printer so that it is compatible with VISTA to no avail. Any recommendations?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot print multiple copies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot print multiple copies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Generic image for the file, print dialog box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2007 4:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Printing Multiple Copies
by hmiller2 / November 15, 2007 6:48 AM PST

Yes, I am aware as to how to print multiple copies and I am now and have been succesful in the past with all other document sources, except now with Vista and documents generated in and saved from MS Word.

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2007 6:55 AM PST

Post screens of that print dialog in Word, File, Print for us to see what's missing.

Bob

Collapse -
Multiple Prints
by hmiller2 / November 15, 2007 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

There is nothing missing in the dialog box. It is just as you demonstrated above.

Collapse -
Then let's ask which version of Office you run? Also...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2007 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Multiple Prints

Do other programs work ok or not.

Bob

Collapse -
Printing Problems
by hmiller2 / November 15, 2007 11:26 AM PST

Yes, I have no problem in printing multile copies of "documents" from other sources. It is only those from MS Word, Word Processor that I I cannot print multiple copies. Earlier I had found a post on another forum where someone else was having the same problem with a different printer, but I have been unable to find that forum again. That person had not gotten any repies to his/her post at the time that I had read it.

Collapse -
I guess I was not clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2007 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Printing Problems

-> WHAT VERSION OF WORD IS THIS?

-> Does it have all it's patches?

Collapse -
Printing Problems
by hmiller2 / November 16, 2007 12:50 AM PST

MS Works VERsion 8.5. I updated today to no avail. Patches?

Collapse -
I'm stunned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2007 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Printing Problems

Sorry, but from the very first post I read it was Word.

Sadly I think you'll have to call Microsoft and ask what's up with this old version and Vista.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok, not Word. MS Works. Try this nugget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2007 1:19 AM PST

"This is a known problem and has been there since the original release of Works 4.0. DE-Select the COLLATE in the Print dialogue box and then select how many copies you want and it will then print multiple copies."

Collapse -
Multiple Print Problems
by hmiller2 / November 16, 2007 1:56 AM PST

When I select multiple copies, 2 or more, the collate box is automatically checked. I even tried unchecking it. Thanks for the effort. I am about ready to give up as I don't have the need for printing multiple copies very often. I see that it is a common problem by all of the posts on Microsoft Tech Net.

Collapse -
But consider this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2007 2:17 AM PST

I didn't look into the right product and your issue until many posts. That nugget (what product you really have) means that any thoughts I had till today were way off.

Bob

Collapse -
Works Ver. 8.5
by hmiller2 / November 16, 2007 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: But consider this.

I understand, but you refer to this version of works as being "old"?????

Collapse -
From memory 9.0 is out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2007 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Works Ver. 8.5

Sorry that the version wasn't shared at first. I've done as much research as I am going to do today on this. No offense but be sure to tell people what product you have up front for the best feedback on any forum.

Bob

Collapse -
Problem Printing Multiple Copies
by hmiller2 / November 18, 2007 7:26 AM PST

I have to tell you that I have read and reread your suggestions and I found that playing with the "collate" option solved the problem. Actually when I indicate more than one copy in the print dialog box the collate check box becomes active, but is not checked. Now if I place a check in the box I can print the multiples that I need. I don't know why, but when you first suggested deactivating the collate box, I am sure that there was a check in the box, when I indicated 2 copies. I don't know what changed except I "updated" the printer driver again. Thanks from a PC neophyte.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2007 7:47 AM PST

It appears it's that old bug that won't die in MS WORKS.

Please accept my apology if I sounded terse or such about telling what word processor you were running. It makes all the difference when looking for the answers.

Bob

Collapse -
printing multiple copies from microsoft works word processor
by foot1999 / September 9, 2009 12:12 AM PDT

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. IT WORKED FOR ME. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM OF PRINTING MULTIPLE COPIES FROM MICROSOFT WORKS WORD PROCESSOR. I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA PREMIUM WITH MICROSOFT WORKS 9. I ACTUALLY HAD TO CLICK FIRST THE NUMBER OF MULTIPLE COPIES I WANTED, THEN CLICK COLLATE, AND WOW, IT WORKED.
I HAD COME UPON A RECOMMENDATION TO GO THROUGH THE "RESTORE POINT" PROCESS (CHANGING BACK TO THE DATE WHEN PRINTING MULTIPLE COPIES HAD WORKED FOR ME)...BUT FAILED. I KEPT GETTING A MESSAGE THAT RESTORE POINT WAS UNSUCCESSFUL DUE TO AN ERROR. I WAS ABOUT TO RETURN THIS
"2 MONTH OLD COMPUTER" OUT OF FRUSTRATION. SO, I AM REALLY GRATEFUL FOR COMING ACROSS YOUR RECOMMENDATION, WHICH SOLVED MY PROBLEM. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.