Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Cannot play or import audio cds into itunes

by annied1 / August 9, 2005 3:46 AM PDT

Hi all,
This is the first time I've experienced this iTunes weirdness: last night, I attempted to import an audio CD into iTunes. The CD registered fine, with all the tracks showing up by title. But when I tried to play the CD, iTunes played only about a half a second of each song, scrolling through the entire CD. I then tried importing the CD without listening to it: iTunes said the import was successful, but only 1-3 seconds of each song was actually imported. I tried this with two different CDs, with the same result.

I'm using iTunes 4.9 on Windows XP.

Anybody have a guess?
Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot play or import audio cds into itunes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot play or import audio cds into itunes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Name names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2005 5:37 AM PDT

There are some protected content CDs that do that. Name names.

Bob

Collapse -
Naming names
by annied1 / August 9, 2005 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Name names.

Hi there,
It was The Killers (Hot Fuss CD) and Fountains of Wayne (Welcome Interstate Managers CD). Interestingly, I just downloaded itunes onto another PC to see if I could replicate the problem, and the CDs play and import just fine. Weird, eh?

Collapse -
This happens on my girlfriends computer too!
by ojobson / August 19, 2005 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Naming names

Any CD when inserted in to any of the two cd-drives will be recognised and CDDB data is correct but when I try to import or play it just scrolls through the tracks and neither plays or imports. Very strange. I just updated iTunes and installed a load of hardware updates from windows updates but no joy - have you found a solution? The CD's will play in windows media player which is wierd.

Collapse -
I wonder why..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2005 3:07 AM PDT

One doesn't use something like CDEX to rip to MP3s, then import the MP3s?

But some insist on the software's proper operation while others will find other ways. Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP user--can't import CD's into iTunes 4.9, either
by rsanderson / September 5, 2005 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I wonder why..

I am using "conventional" methods to rip to my external hard drive (designated MP3 in my iTunes preferences for importing, using non-protected CD's that I own) and 3KB of each title is transferring to my hard drive. Usual import takes 8-9 minutes, this is 10 seconds/CD. No music content to speak of being imported--and this has only happened since I went to iTunes 4.9 recently. Never happened in 4.7. I am also using a new laptop--are there any Windows settings/preferences issues I should check? Thanks.

Collapse -
I don't consider iTunes to be conventional.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

Call me old school as I use CDEX to MP3s, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
a fix for the iTunes 4.9 import problem
by rsanderson / September 6, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

If you go into "preferences" in iTunes 4.9, under the "import" tab, make certain the error recovery box is NOT checked. If the ER box is not checked, importing CD's is no problem.

(Amazing what you learn when you check other forums that stay on topic to answer questions, as opposed to the forum here that seems to be moderated by a person with an ax to grind toward iTunes! Credit for the answer goes to a forum at www.ipodlounge.com.)

Collapse -
ipodlounge is great info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

I have no ax to grind with itunes. I simply have other means and methods to get the job done.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.