Laptops forum

General discussion

Cannot play movies on Acer A210

by John051 / December 16, 2012 7:54 AM PST

Hello, I cannot play movies on my Acer A210.Does anyone know what software I need in order to play movies on it? I downloaded Real Player and FLV player
but the movies will still not play. All that I see is a square box with a question mark in it when I try to play a movie.

Thank You

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot play movies on Acer A210
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot play movies on Acer A210
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did it ever work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 7:58 AM PST

The list of issues it could be is far too long. Are the movies from some torrent? I find a few folk have to learn that lesson over and over.

Collapse -
by John051 / December 16, 2012 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: Did it ever work?

It used to work , now all it plays is flash videos. I don't bother with torrents. It won't even play news videos.In the review for this tablet it stated that it could play just about any video .

Collapse -
Sorry I missed it was Android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 12:35 PM PST

My Asus updated and lost of lot of movie decoders. Thankfully I know how to encode with HANDBRAKE to something that plays.

How much exposure do you have to video encoding, transcoding and such?

This is not like Windows at all. You can't go get VLC PLAYER and just play anything.

Collapse -
by John051 / December 16, 2012 1:42 PM PST

Hello Bob, Sorry, I don't think you will be able to help me unless you are familiar with the Acer A210 tablets software and system.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
I would go to the Acer site and
by orlbuckeye / December 16, 2012 10:27 PM PST

ask the question in the Acer forum.

Collapse -
Only familiar with Android tablets and phones.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 12:50 AM PST

So you're right I don't have the Acer in the office. We have over a dozen other android tablets as we are porting apps.

The issue is however well known and is cured by using other players or encoding the video in something compatible. Your newer Android owner might think something is broke.

Collapse -
flash player
by rsvmillejkz / September 22, 2013 2:44 AM PDT

Not sure if you ever sorted this out, however just doiwnload adobe flash player from the archives as it is no longer and play store.

Collapse -
The odd thing is that VLC PLAYER
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2013 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: flash player

Does not require flash.

Collapse -
by saleha9294 / October 20, 2013 1:17 PM PDT

i don't understand about you

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.