Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Cannot play (AUTOPLAY) CDs or DVDs on PC

by mr gruntfutock / February 18, 2011 8:28 PM PST

First my I thank anyone in advance who may be able to help me. Also please allow me to state that I know absolutely nothing about computers, so any information/ help you may be able to give MUST be in DUMBO language, in other words every move every click spelt out Thank you

The problem

I bought a brand new PC in February 2010 and as far as I can remember everything was OK for the few weeks I had it running on VISTA (as bought) I then took advantage of a free upgrade to Windows 7, and as I use this particular items very very rarely I.e. the playing of CDs or DVDs, I cannot actually confirm if it was working after upgrade. I have now come to use it I.e. to play CDs or DVDs and when I insert them into the drive, normally a little box appears which if I am not mistaken allows you to look at the files or to even play them, absolutely nothing happens. I have taken this problem, as far as I dare, which to an expert would probably be nowhere, and again as far as I can establish the autoplay facility for my PC is switched off or at best simply is not working. I do have music on the PC running in Itunes and that plays fine as also with Winamp. It just appears to be when I insert a disc in the drive nothing happens. Can anyone help with this problem Please remember instructions in DUMBO language Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot play (AUTOPLAY) CDs or DVDs on PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot play (AUTOPLAY) CDs or DVDs on PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by bob b / February 18, 2011 9:36 PM PST

Start>control panel>auto play.

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 18, 2011 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe

I have done what you said in your reply Start Control Panel Auto Play It opens into a box in which various setting have to be made The is a long long list of items Audio CD, Enhanced audio CD DVD Movie Enhanced DVD Movie etc etc etc

I have put what I think are the correct settings into each one i.e Play sudio CD using Windows Media Player

Wot next

Collapse -
by bob b / February 19, 2011 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Your reply to me

Your saying it still does not work.

Go back to control panel>auto play and change ALL settings to "ask me".

Don't forget to click on SAVE.

Put some optical media in the unit......Do you get a pop-up?

If not....try with a few different cd's/dvd's .....if still no pop-up.

Control panel>device manager.

Any flags showing?

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 19, 2011 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: Guessing

Hi Bob
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to try and help me with this problem
Right I have replaced the whole list as you have said with all settings to "ASK ME"
Nothing happened at this point. A pop up should appear within a few seconds. On this occasion I actually had time to take a shower, then went back to my PC to see if a pop up was there. There was non
So to your second point
Go to device manager Are there any flags ?
Not being too sure wot you meant by flags (I said I was a DUMBO !)
I opened the device manager a box appeared which had the following

Start Terry-PC

Disk drives
Display adapters
DVD/CD-ROM drives
Human Interface Devices
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
Imaging devices
Mice and other pointing devices
Network adapters
Portable devices
Sound video and game controllers
System devices
Universal Serial Bus controllers

Trusting that this will mean something to you,as it means absolutely nothing to me !

The device manager which I opened was listed under Hardware and Sound. I presume that this is the only one, as I can find no other device manager
Once again, dont know what the above means in relation to "flags" which you mentioned. Thanks again Terry

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 19, 2011 8:54 PM PST

Oh Bob
I forgot to mention when I did set all to "ASK ME" I did click on SAVE

Collapse -
Just noticed something
by bob b / February 19, 2011 11:29 PM PST

Control panel>auto play.
At the top of the screen is a box......"use auto play".

Is there a check in it?

If no....check

As for device manager.

2x click "DVD/CD-ROM drives"
That should show your optical unit.
2x click your optical unit.

In the general tab you should see.....this device is working properly.

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 21, 2011 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Just noticed something

Hi Bob
I went into control panel and then autoplay At the top of the box IT WAS TICKED use autoplay
I unticked it and saved it then did a test.....nothing
So went back in and put the tick back in and saved it and ran another test....nothing

Now this next bit is a bit tricky so I hope I am getting all of the details correct

Clicked on Control Panel
Clicked on Device Manager

Double clicked on DVD/CD-ROM drives (as listed in my previous message to you)
This opened to

Double clicked on that and a box opened
Along the top of the box it says
General DVD Region Volumes Driver Details

General is open and the box contents say

This device is working properly

Windows did not start a related device driver. To learn more, click the
Driver tab and then click Driver Details

Clicked on the Driver Tab

Opened another box

Clicked on Driver Details

This opened another box and this one says

Then in the box below it states three things

C:\Windows\System32|Drivers|AnyDVD.sys (Before the C: on this is a small BLACK box, fully coloured in, in black)

The above three things have been copied as it appears to me small letters where small and capital letters were capital

Again means absolutely nothing to me. I hope it does to you

Many Regards

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 21, 2011 12:25 AM PST

Sorry Bob

On that third bit above the GEARA should read GEARAspiWDM.sys AND NOT the way I have put it which is GEARAAspiWDM.sye (I put one A in to many)

Also whilst here There is this other reply from someone called Kees BM (Below) I have not done anything here, as I dont understand
Thanks Terry

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 21, 2011 12:31 AM PST

Further to my last message and thinking it might help the situation I have now done what Kees BM has suggested

Double clicked on every item in that list under Device Manager
Obviously loads of stuff appeared as small drop down stuff on each one but I have taken none of them any further

I regards to what Kees BM has said In that I should something like an exclamation mark (Meaning error) Nothing like this appeared on the list

Collapse -
As I understand this.
by bob b / February 21, 2011 7:00 AM PST

You had Vista but you don't know if the optical was working or not.

You upgraded to W7 and now you find the optical unit has a problem.

Let's try this.
Put your Vista cd/dvd in the unit.
Set the boot order to optical unit first.
Boot from the optical unit.

What happens?
Do you get some sort of Vista screen or does it just pass through and you get the normal W7 screen?

Collapse -
Your reply to me
by mr gruntfutock / February 21, 2011 4:28 PM PST
In reply to: As I understand this.

Hi Bob

I do not have a Windows CD\DVD for VISTA as the compuet was bought brand new but with it already installed

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 4:37 PM PST

Any bootable CD or DVD would do to check the hardware. If the hardware is OK (so it boots from that CD or DVD) it's a Windows issue. There can be several of that of course.

If only autoplay doesn't work, that's no big deal. Put the disk in and run the program you want to use to work with the data. Let's say Explorer to view the folders and files on a data disk. Or your favorite media player to play mp3 or avi or movie.
Autoplay is nice but not necessary to use the disk.

Collapse -
Sometimes ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 19, 2011 11:41 PM PST

in Device Manager there's something like a yellow exclamation mark (meaning: error!) next to the device. But you'll have to clock on the categories you mention to see all individual devices.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.