Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot open pdf files in Acrobat Adobe Reader

by vocaldix / May 22, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

I have a desktop XP Home Edition SP3 computer. Use Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. I cannot open any pdf files after installing XI Adobe. Nothing happens! Now what do I do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot open pdf files in Acrobat Adobe Reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot open pdf files in Acrobat Adobe Reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: adobe reader
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 12:03 AM PDT

So you run the program, and in the program you do a File>Open, browse to a pdf file, click OK and nothing happens?
Or is there another scenario?

What version of Firefox and Chrome, by the way?

Collapse -
by vocaldix / May 23, 2013 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: adobe reader

I got a pdf file as attachment from school online. I clicked on download, in Firefox it appears as the arrow above turns green. You click on arrow and it brings down a box with the file downloaded. Double click it and it won't open. I have Firefox 21 and Chrome 26.0.

Collapse -
by Leeza1 / June 5, 2013 2:05 AM PDT

If You are using Firefox Go to the Tools> Options>General tab and check the path where your file download.

Collapse -
Save the PDF to a file
by wpgwpg / May 23, 2013 12:10 AM PDT

When this happens, I save the PDF to a file, then open the Adobe Acrobat Reader and then open the PDF. You could also try downloading and installing the Foxit reader, which is popular with a lot of folks.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Good news is
by Jimmy Greystone / May 23, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

Good news is, the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome both have their own PDF readers built-in. I rarely use Chrome, so can't comment on much except that I've noticed it exists. The Firefox PDF reader is still in its early stages, but quite capable for basic tasks, like reading. But in Firefox, if you go to the options, then applications, and scroll down to "Portable Document Format" you can set it to something like "Preview in Firefox" then dump Acrobat Reader for the bloated sack of flaming excrement it is. There is probably some similar setting in Chrome somewhere, and maybe someone who uses Chrome more frequently can help with that.

And while I've been far less enamored with Foxit Reader since the 5.0 release, it still handily beats Adobe's offering in almost every way. The Foxit Reader developers may have lost focus when it comes to the UI, but at least when it comes to a PDF reader that loads almost instantly, they haven't.

Collapse -
Cannot open pdf files in acrobat Adobe Reader
by vocaldix / May 23, 2013 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Good news is

I have the latest Firefox 21 version. Chrome 26.0. I rarely use Chrome either except for submitting essays in my online class for I can't do it in Firefox. In Chrome I have to do control c and control v to copy and paste a Word document. in the spaces provided in my class online. I will try that from options thanks.

Collapse -
Cannot open pdf files in acrobat adobe reader
by vocaldix / May 23, 2013 10:00 PM PDT

I have tried all the instructions and it is Preview in Firefox. I still cannot view them! Guess I will try the other program.

Collapse -
Cannot o pen peft files in Acrobat Adobe Reader
by vocaldix / May 24, 2013 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Good news is

It is set to "Preview in Firefox." I have tried going to the program and opening it and nothing. I tried installing Foxit Reader and canceled it. You have to have the toolbar and have for your search bar. You cannot uncheck the boxes. It is Foxit Reader 6.0.

Collapse -
I gotta try this!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 8:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Have you set any program as default pdf reader?
by Gordon_Hay / May 31, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

Perhaps installing adobe has cancelled the default setting for opening pdf files, leaving no program set.

When you click on the download icon in Firefox and get the dropdown, click on the folder icon, or right-click on the pdf file and click on 'open containing folder' then try to open the file from there - if no program is set you will get the 'open with/ set default' prompt.

As for installing Foxit (thoroughly recommend you do), look for a 'custom install' check box - if there is one you have to select this first to be able to uncheck the boxes for the ask etc. foistware.

Collapse -
by vocaldix / June 1, 2013 9:59 PM PDT

I have tried several times installing Foxit and there is no 'custom install'. Maybe it showed up on your computer but not mine sorry.

Collapse -
Re: Foxit
by Gordon_Hay / June 2, 2013 4:35 PM PDT

Sounds like you might have downloaded it from Cnet with the 'smart install' option - if so, try again but select 'standard install' and you will definitely be able to opt out of the foistware. Alternatively, why not use the link Bob Proffitt gave above, he says he had no problem with that one.

With regard to your original question, did you try opening the file directly from the containing folder and/or resetting the default program as suggested?

Collapse -
Quick fix
by richteral / May 31, 2013 10:33 PM PDT

1. Make sure the document has really been downloaded - find its location; Chrome has the "Show in folder" option on download. Run AV/antimalware on the file, just in case.
2. Upload the document to, and open it online for quick access to contents.
3. There is no reason to run anything made by Adobe; on the contrary. If previously PDFs opened all right, you ought to get rid of it for a start.
4. I should prefer to Foxit; for simple things, Sumatra will do.

Collapse -
Check processes
by trilldax42 / June 1, 2013 9:09 AM PDT

This may be unrelated to your problem, but I'll throw it out just in case it helps you or others.

Adobe Reader will sometimes start multiple processes. Go to Task Manager, Processes tab. On my computer it is listed as AcroRd32.exe If you see more than one of that process listed, click once on it, then click End Process. Do the same until all AcroRd32 are gone. Then try opening your file. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Cannot open pef files in Acrobat Adobe Reader
by vocaldix / June 3, 2013 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Check processes

It is not listed at all in Task Manager, Processes tab. I did click on the link that Bob gave above to get Foxit and I still cannot do it or pick 'custom' or whatever. Still have to get the toolbar and I give up thanks anyway.

Collapse -
The answer but not the solution
by Gordon_Hay / June 3, 2013 4:14 AM PDT

You said originally that after you had installed Adobe Acrobat you could no longer access pdf files but now you tell us that there is no evidence in Task Manager of Adobe Acrobat processes running on your computer, ergo you did not (successfully) install Adobe. The installation process must have knocked out whatever you were using before to open pdf files but not replaced it.

I could now tell you about using RevoUninstaller or Ccleaner or MalwareBytes or a myriad of other options to blame your computer, or reverting your system to an earlier version, but since I have no experience of XP I don't know if I would be helping or hindering.

I also have questions about privilege levels, about why your original question was about accessing your coursework but now seems to be about installing Foxit without foistware and so on, but I don't want to confuse the issue, so I hope that Bob Proffitt, or someone else more knowledgeable than me will come back onto the thread and help you.

Anyway, I'm out, and I hope you find a solution. Good luck.

Collapse -
Cannot open pdf files in Acrobat Reader
by vocaldix / June 3, 2013 9:15 AM PDT

I used to be able to open pdf files until had to update Adobe Reader. Then I couldn't anymore. Yes, there was no evidence of adobe in task manager when I opened it up. Bob had told me to install Foxit to read pdf files instead and I have told him I couldn't without installing a toolbar and as search engine. That there was no 'custom' button to select to avoid installing those items. That is what Foxit was about. I have tried Bob's link several times now. I do have RevoUninstaller and CCCleaner. Hardly use CCCleaner for my Norton Security Suite is great for clearing cache, files, and registry items. Thanks for your kind words.

Collapse -
Just remembered an old issue. The ACR*.TMP files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 4:50 AM PDT

Long ago Adobe's reader would fail if the number of ACR*.TMP files hit about 64 thousand. Just on the off chance do you know about this and know to clean that up?

Collapse -
Cannot open pdf files with Adobe Reader
by vocaldix / June 3, 2013 9:16 AM PDT

No, I know nothing about clearing that up sorry. I am self-taught on the computer since 2003, 63, and need instructions. Thanks.

Collapse -
I use google a lot. Here's my search on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.