Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot open my email.

by DoubleD59 / June 14, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

I am using Mozilla Firefox and when I open my Hotmail live account, when I click on an email to open it, it won't. IN the left bottom corner the words "javascript" is there.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot open my email.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot open my email.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Javascript...
by John.Wilkinson / June 15, 2010 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Cannot open my email.

The word "javascript" is there because Hotmail uses Javascript to pull in and display content rather than loading a new page every time you want to perform an action. Thus, if you have Javascript disabled or it is otherwise nonfunctional, the site will not work as expected. Check your Firefox preferences to ensure you have not disabled Javascript manually, look through your extensions to see if one blocks Javascript (most notably NoScript, which requires you to white-list/allow each site you trust), and see if other sites that use Javascript (such as CNET, which uses Javascript to email a friend, login/logout in the top right corner, etc) work properly.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Still cant use hotmail in Firefox
by DoubleD59 / June 17, 2010 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Javascript...

I did those steps...but still cant open hot mail. Can I reinstall Firefox or reinstall the Java?? I dont know a whole lot about this stuff....I am using FireFox 3.6.3

Collapse -
Re: hotmail in Firefox
by Kees Bakker / June 17, 2010 5:54 AM PDT

While this isn't solved, you've got a VERY good work-around: use IE to access hotmail.

To answer your questions:
- Yes, you can reinstall Firefox (if the initial install was done by you also). Most likely it won't help, but it won't harm either.
- Yes, you can (re)install Java. But that's a totally different program, so it won't have any use for this issue.
- No, you can't reinstall Javascript separately. It comes with Firefox.

If reinstalling Firefox doesn't work, make a new Windows account and try there. If it works there, it's something (a bad setting, an add-on) in your current Firefox-profile. Totally delete it, and start all over. It should work then just a well as it did in that other account. Now you can delete your new Windows account; it has served its purpose.

Kees

Collapse -
well all is good
by DoubleD59 / June 17, 2010 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: hotmail in Firefox

Right after I wrote that post...I went back to Hotmail......and it works!! Don't know what I did....but it works. Thanks for replying

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.