Laptop). All were working great. I set up (tried) Homegroup. Piece of
cake for Hers and Laptop. His gets "This computer cannot connect to a
Homegroup" message - another problem. Hers tried to do 2-sided printing,
used to work great but could not now. I noticed that the printer on
Hers was now named Laptop. We only use the Laptop for traveling. So I
removed Laptop printer on Hers and tried to add the printer. Now I
cannot add the printer, it tries, gets to the "installing printer popup
and hangs forever with no CPU usage. I cannot cancel. The only way to
go on is to restart. Have tried the following all without success.
Deleted the printer and the printer drivers. Installed the drivers from
DVD. Tried to add printer. Hangs as described above. Plus tried
everything else I could think of, removing printer, adding printer,
etc.. Also would not install as a USB wired local printer. Help! & Thanks. Printing works AOK from His.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot install printer on windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot install printer on windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one can frustrate users.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 3:09 AM PDT

The one thing you learn is to stop fixing what works and NEVER ACCEPT drivers from Microsoft (a common reason for feature loss.)

I would google " "This computer cannot connect to a Homegroup" message and see what folk write. My suspect is a firewall.

Collapse -
By any chance, from any PC, did you say "yes" to
by Steven Haninger / May 15, 2011 3:30 AM PDT

sharing of the printer? That's something you don't want to do as it can interfere with installations on other PCs because it will find the shared device. Also, what are you using to detect the printer? Some discovery software? Network printers can be installed by the IP address or some printer name embedded in the firmware. I generally set some static address in the printer and use that during the driver installation. Knowing the printer's IP address should allow you to ping the device to detect its presence. That won't be foolproof as firewalls can block you. But I'd not rely on printer discovery software if that's what you're using. Knowing the printer's network name or IP address is valuable. Can you find these?

Collapse -
Not sharing printer
by cww2616 / May 15, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

I am not sharing the printer. Each computer has its own drivers for the wireless printer. There was no network and no Homegroup. Everything worked fine. It seems that after I tried to set up Homegroup is when the problem occurred. I am using the drivers that came with the Lexmark X9575 printer. Printing has never been a problem. I have disabled Homegroup. My problem now is that I cannot install a printer, either wireless or local USB on the computer I am calling Hers. This is the one that had the Homegroup. The other computers work fine as wireless printers (no network). Thanks for your responses.

Collapse -
Try another user account if you've not done so already
by Steven Haninger / May 15, 2011 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sharing printer

I'd try the administrator account. But I'm going to presume that, since it once worked, you've either tried system restore or know it's been too long to be worthwhile.

Collapse -
by cww2616 / May 15, 2011 8:15 AM PDT

What do you mean "try the administrator account"? I don't think system restore is an option but will consider it. Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
There are administrator accounts and
by Steven Haninger / May 15, 2011 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

there is "the" administrator account. You can create accounts with administrator privileges but Windows comes with a default administrator account. It may be disabled and not show up in the welcome screen, however. My thought was that the account which you were using might be corrupt or not capable of installing a printer. In that case, you'd switch to another account with administrator privileges. You should have at least two such accounts created anyway.

Now, I have seen one other issue with Windows and network printer drivers but it had to do with multiple HP printers being installed on one device. The cure, in the case I found, was to first remove all network printers and delete the driver files and then reinstall all the printers using the latest drivers for each. I believe the issue was to some common file or files that all the printers used but I doubt that's your case. I'll make one more suggestion, however, and that is to try so by turning off all the PCs that also use it first. You'll also want to take note of the printer's network name or IP address. When you set up a network printer, you can do so by having Windows search for it or by manually adding the information. Windows will usually accept the printer name but I've found that using the IP address has the best success rate. Good luck.

Collapse -
Install Printer on Windows 7
by markhelenski / May 17, 2011 8:35 PM PDT

Following are some of the tips, which you must follow while you are using a printer with Windows 7 system.

Ensure that the cables are properly connected; you need to ensure that your printer is properly connected, and plugged in, and also the cable is accurately connected to the computer as well.

Check the power; make sure that the printer's power is switched on, ensure that all the computer necessary computer components are also turned on.

Make sure that the hardware is properly plugged in, and also turned on. Apply troubleshooting.

A troubleshooter is a tool, which is generated automatically and which can easily fix the problems that occur with your system.

Thus, if you are coming across different issues related to your printer, then you can consult the troubleshooter.

You require driver applications to run your hardware devices.

Make sure that the drivers are not outdated, corrupt, or incompatible, resulting in disrupting the communication between the printer and the computer.

Always make sure that you are making use of the most recent and latest device drivers, and also that are compatible with your system requirements and specifications, as this can be extremely useful in resolving printer issues.

Collapse -
printer settings
by kevin_92265 / May 17, 2011 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sharing printer

i had the same problem with my printer when i switched to windows 7 and then again when i installed the sp1 i found my problem was in the ntwork setting on the printer itself i had to reconfigure the wifi settings on the printer and now my printer works from any laptop in my apt. and my main desktop i print dvds and school papers with no problem

Collapse -
by cww2616 / May 18, 2011 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: printer settings

Thanks Mark for your reply. All good suggestions but there is more to this. I have been working with computer since 1959. I have built 6 or more PC computers from scratch. I frequently install and work with applications. So I am not a novice. This one has me stumped. "HIS" computer is a Windows 7 desktop. It has the Lexmark X9575 printer configured as a wireless printer. It works now and has never been a problem. The laptop is a Windows 7 computer with the printer configured as a wireless printer. It works fine. Computer 3 "HERS" is a Windows 7 computer and it had the printer configured as a wireless printer and it has always work great. I doubt there is an issue with the printer itself. After putting Homegroup on the Laptop and "HERS" there were some printing issues with "HERS". I could not get Homegroup configured on "HIS" as I get an error message "This computer cannot connect to a Homegroup". I noticed the printer on "HERS" was now labelled "Laptop-PC". It previously was labelled "Judy-PC". I removed the Laptop printer on "HERS" and tried to install it as a wireless printer. I cannot install it. It tries, gets to the pop up "Installing" and hangs forever. I have deleted the drivers and re-installed fresh drivers but I still cannot install a printer on "HERS", even when I try to use the USB connection as a local printer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This should be an easy fix as removing everything and starting over has always worked for me in the past. Thanks.

Collapse -
by cww2616 / May 20, 2011 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: More

I fixed it. Removed the printer. Uninstalled the printer apps. Ran Reg Organizer utility. Cleaned up multiple errors. Deleted reference to Lexmark in the registry. Reinstalled printer successfully. Thanks for the replies.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.