Windows 7

General discussion

Cannot hibernate my windows 7 system

by cm2gj / May 15, 2010 12:14 AM PDT

Hi. I have a Dimension 9150 (original with XP) and now have windows 7. I cannot hibernate this pc.

This pc have 4GB ram, Pentium D 3.0Ghz and 250GB sata hard drive.

Before windows 7, this pc go to hibernation without issues with XP and with Vista.

Now with windows 7 pro, when I hibernate, the pc start the process, go down, and then START again!!!... This is like crazy. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot hibernate my windows 7 system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot hibernate my windows 7 system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not crazy. But I have a question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2010 12:15 AM PDT

After you installed 7, which drivers did you add? This is not automatic.

Collapse -
Hibernate
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 2:17 AM PDT

I have just the same hardware I used with XP and Vista. In any of this 2 OSs I had issues with hibernate or suspend modes.

With Windows 7, I can just shutdown and power on. I cannor use suspend, sleep or hibernate features.

No new drivers, just the same my systems needs.

Collapse -
drivers
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 2:21 AM PDT

Only manual drivers I added: ATI HD2900 drivers for my video card.

I use a Logitech keyboard and Mouse.

Collapse -
You can bet there are more drivers to find, install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers

Tell me about the motherboard driver package. It's the most often missed one.

Collapse -
Motherboard
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 3:06 AM PDT

Thanks for your time and effort help

Collapse -
Because this computer is from 2005 ~ 2006, Windows 7 have al
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard

"Because this computer is from 2005 ~ 2006, Windows 7 have all the required drivers."

Sadly this is false. I have lost count of the number of machines I have to go get the motherboard driver package.

But let's say you're right. I think this will be between you and Microsoft to solve now. Best of luck,
Bob

Collapse -
true
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 6:28 AM PDT

Yes, I understand you. In some cases you need to update drivers, but this computer is an standard DELL system, very common. Microsoft for sure include drivers for this one.

Collapse -
Then what else?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: true

Then you to tussle with Microsoft over this?

I've been here before and solved it too many times. I'm not saying it is the driver I linked to but there is nothing better for the industry than folk that take your stance. That is, "more sales of new gear."

Hope you understand what I'm saying here.
Bob

Collapse -
First, make sure you have the correct drivers...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 17, 2010 1:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
no help
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 2:20 AM PDT

Hi.

I check the provided link, very basic stuff there, no help. I'm MCP MCSA MCSE MCTS and have more than 20 other IT certifications so I'm not a novice in Windows and Hardware stuff.

This is the first time I see this problem. Please notice when I go to hibernate, the pc do not restart like you can see in lot of forum. Instead, the pc shutdown completely. After 3 seconds, start again.

Is a 32bit system and I have 4GB of ram. I read too much ram can cause this??

Collapse -
4GB RAM, 32 bit OS = sometimes trouble.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no help

Odd choice to run the 32 bit 7 but the answer is yes. How to fix? Can't tell. That's something I lay at the machine maker's feet.
Bob

Collapse -
32Bit
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 3:05 AM PDT

I use 32 bit windows 7 because this machine is "old", is not 64bit capable.

But Windows xp and Vista hibernates without any problem in the past. With windows 7, I have issues from day one.

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: 32Bit
Collapse -
64bit compatible
by cm2gj / May 17, 2010 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

Yes, this system is 64bit compatible but is an old system, the intel processor have 64bit emulation, but this is not the same as a real 64bit processor. Anyway I can receive performance increase if I switch to 64bit OS and applications. I will see If I can get a 64bit Windows 7.

I will test tonigth with less memory and will start swaping cards and disabling hardware devices to see where is the hibernation problem.

Collapse -
no software
by cm2gj / May 19, 2010 11:28 AM PDT

This is not software related. I have this problem since day one on windows 7 without any software installed.

Collapse -
Above you write.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: no software

"Yes, I understand you. In some cases you need to update drivers, but this computer is an standard DELL system, very common. Microsoft for sure include drivers for this one."

And since hibernation is a software feature, how could it not be software related.

Let's say you "stick to your guns" and maintain your position. All that means is that no one but Microsoft can help you.
Bob

Collapse -
Had same problem
by BSharpe37 / May 19, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
not working
by cm2gj / May 19, 2010 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Had same problem

I downloaded the software Advanced System Care. This software looks amazing. I clean cookies, some reg entries and temp files with the software.

I restarted and try hibernation. Problem is still here. Sad

Collapse -
OS related
by BSharpe37 / May 20, 2010 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: not working

I would say that some part of the OS install did not install correcly. Would suggest backing up your data and reinstalling the operating system.

Collapse -
Yes
by cm2gj / May 20, 2010 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: OS related

I agree with you and will install the OS (now with 64bits), but one curious thing: Hibernation works..I can hibernate and the pc even shutdown... but 3 seconds later, start again (and hibernate loads) so this is something related with hardware for sure.

Collapse -
If you think its hardware...
by BSharpe37 / May 20, 2010 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

If you think its hardware try replacing your keyboard and mouse. The awaken command is usally a key press or mouse move from the I/O devices. Trying a different keyboard and mouse may resolve your issue. A stuck key or a malfunctioning mouse that randomly moves slightly ( even one pixl worth) would awaken the sytem.

Check your power managment settings. Check and see if you have you system to auto awaken, maybe under your BIOS for "Auto-ON".

Collapse -
Try
by cm2gj / May 20, 2010 9:51 AM PDT

I will try today without mouse and with another keyboard.

Everything in the BIOS has been already properly reviewed. All settings are ok in the BIOS (No WOL, No AutoAC ON, etc)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.