Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cannot get Outlook to automatically download emails

by mkfm15 / August 12, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

I have a DELL GX270 using Microsoft XP, and I had a problem with my computer yesterday where I had to remove Microsoft Office and then reinstall it. Everything is OK, except for Microsoft Outlook. My new emails do not show up when I turn on "Outlook" unless I hit the ?send/receive? tab. They previously use to display automatically when I started up Outlook. In addition, I am not notified when I get a new incoming email. I have the tab checked in the advanced settings where it says to show notice for incoming mail, but it is not doing it. Could you suggest something?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot get Outlook to automatically download emails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot get Outlook to automatically download emails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What Type Of Email Server Is Used?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 12, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

If it's an Exchange server, you'll need to set up Outlook to connect correctly and it should automatically view the messages when opening Outlook.

If you're using a standard POP3 mail server, then you may need to change some settings to let it automatically attempt a "Send/Receive" every few minutes. Unfortunately, you didn't tell us which version of Outlook you're using but on this Outlook 2003 machine, open Outlook, then click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options", then click on the "Mail Setup" tab. In the "Send/Receive" section, be sure place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Send immediately when connected". Next, click on the "Send/Receive" button in that section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to the box which says: "Schedule and automatic send/receive every X minutes". You may also need to CHECK the box which "Sends/Receives" while offline.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
cannot get email automatically
by mkfm15 / August 12, 2009 10:47 PM PDT

Thanks for the follow up and offer to help, Grif. I was able to fix the problem last night, and so I am all set. Thanks again.

Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.