Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot get on to internet

by billstott / May 8, 2006 4:06 PM PDT

I am writing this from my working computer. On cable I run a windows XP on an HP, 80gig, 2.60 Ghz with all the trimmings. Also run a second computer which I am now using to contact you with.

I was running AVAST virus cleaner, after a while it scanned everything and came up with 10 problems, one Trojan horse and nine which may as well have been in Greek.I took a dumb chance and deleted the first two.

Have never been able to get on line since. Everything else seems to work fine.

My ISP spent some time with me and said he had went as far as he could go.

On my old ME, I have a network component menu with such as: Microsoft Logon. Dial-up adapter, Realtek and a couple of TCP/IP, etc. I cannot find this menu on my Windows XP. Does it not exist, or did I screw it up.

I have no HP operating disk, as when I got the computer new it said back up everything which was 7 disks worth.

Help, Help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot get on to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot get on to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by linkit / May 8, 2006 5:14 PM PDT

Download and run WINSOCKXPFIX.EXE on the troublesome computer.

As for the network components in XP:
Click: Start > Connect to > Show all connections...
Right-click on the name of the network adapter and select "Properties"

Collapse -
Cannot get on the internet
by billstott / May 9, 2006 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

I can not get onto the first or second step of the ladder.
Download and run WINSOCKXPFIX.EXE on the troublesome computer.

As for the network components in XP:
Click: Start > Connect to > Show all connections...
Right-click on the name of the network adapter and select "Properties"

Download and run WINSOCKXPFIX.EXE (cannot find even in search,)

Click: Start > Connect to > Show all connections...?????Are you sure we are on the same computer?????

Though I seem to be following the instructions to a T, I mus not be. Help

Collapse -
Try this site
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

Bill try this site for WinsockXPfix.exe;

You said you had a working spare computer. Could you download it from there and transfer it across? It's 1.37MB so it may fit onto a floppy. If not, a CDR will do.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Cannot get onto the internet.
by billstott / May 9, 2006 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this site

I brought it down on my working computer and it lookes like just what I am looking for, but it wants to fix my working colmputer. Can not find how to move it over to a floppy.

Collapse -
Did you save it to disk?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 9, 2006 7:30 PM PDT

Bill when you downloaded the WinsockXPfix.exe file, did you save it to disk, or did it open immediately on download?

If the latter then that isn't really the way to download programs from the internet. The best way is, download to a temporary location, (the Desktop is a good temporary location), then right click the file and scan it with your anti-virus. Only then should you double click it to open the file to install the program.

Once the program is installed, then you can move the downloaded file to a folder of your choice, eg I created a Download folder on mine, so you can use it again if necessary in the future.

Your WinsockXPfix.exe program should be in the folder where your downloaded files normally are stored.

Collapse -
Try this
by billstott / May 10, 2006 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this site
Collapse -
The time has come
by Themisive / May 10, 2006 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

For a complete overhaul in your internet connections. The best way to go about this is to COMPLETELY uninstall your modem drivers. This includes any reference to the modem you have, such as e-mail accounts, newsgroup accounts or even [shudder]P2P and IM systems.

Reboot, the thouroughly clean your machine, using anti-virus and spyware/malware detectors.

Reboot again, then re-install the modem, only putting back your e-mail systems for now. Use the logon you were given to connect to your ISP, you should be OK, now connect each seperate set of items until you arrive at the same fault, there's your problem.

At the same time, if you can, keep away from P2P and IM systems, they are extremely good at getting viruses, spyware and other malware on your system.

Collapse -
On that web page
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2006 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Bill, on that web page;
in the first paragraph headed " Running WinsockXPFix.exe Your Window XP PC", there are two links in blue for WinsockXPfix.exe.

Click either of those and the utility will start to download.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2006 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: On that web page

I see from a post below this one that you "have got" this file, on your other computer.

Can you not copy this file to your flash drive or floppy disk?

Collapse -
try this
by billstott / May 17, 2006 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

An important part of your instructions do not shopw on my computer.

Collapse -
Are you using a router?
by Brandon Eng / May 10, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

I'd try to rule out any hardware issues first. Check all cable connections (I'm assuming you have a home-network- I shouldn't, but it seems everyone does these days). Assuming you're on a network, do your computers communicate with each other? If so, you shouldn't have a problem transferring the file Mark suggested.

Could also be something as simple as the pc not picking up your router's address; double-click the network icon from the systray near the clock>support>repair. If you're missing info like default gateway after the repair, then something is definitely awry.

If you're using a router, try a direct connection from your cable box directly to the non-working computer; you may have to recycle the modem (power off for a few mins with pc off, power back on). If you can connect by bypassing the router, then something is up with your network connections. Could be something as simple as going back to the set-up page for your router.

Another possible cause is that your tcp/ip protocol mysteriously vanished, as happened to a friend of mine recently- he had same problem; no connection to internet. Go to add/remove programs, windows components, and check to see that...I believe it's under networking services, and check that tcp/ip is checked and add that if it's missing...I'm writing this from my laptop and the setup is very different for some reason, even tho it's XP Pro SP2 like my other systems.

Hope this is of some help, and I didn't lead you down the wrong path.

PS:re no HP disc. I saw in a different post when someone's HP pc went down and needed the OS disc, he wrote/called HP for it and was only charged shipping. Good luck.

Collapse -
Are you using a router
by billstott / May 10, 2006 3:58 PM PDT

No network between my computers. I seemed to have got burned on that a few years ago. I use a flash plug in memory.

I have went direct to my router and also changed chords. What screws me up is my setup to install disk programs has been screwed up for ever. Samsung issued a corrected program, but it is to be backed up on a disk that won't work and is bigger than a floppy, no allwance for installing in my flash card.

This takes it to my WINSOCKXPFIX.EXE on the working computer. Can't get it over to the other computer.

The Winsockxpfix.exe seems to read like what I need.I do not have the network configeration on that XP computer like I do on the ME. Think that is my problem.

I will back off for a few days and then move in on it. Every one has been more than helpful.

I used to hear how bad the ME was, this xp seems to have given me more trouble.

4th grade idiot.

Collapse -
so you DO have a router...
by Brandon Eng / May 10, 2006 6:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you using a router

Could be that your router isn't communicating with the router. You can try a coupla things: use IE to go to your set page for the router, normally, http://192.168..x.x depending on the router's make/model. From there, just follow the prompts. On one of my computers I keep losing connection and have to go through setup again. You can also power-cycle the router by turning it off and on again- WARNING: doing so may cause you to lose connectivity on your other computer; normally you'd just have to do a ''repair'' thing, I mentioned in my first post, or do another setup. Normally no big deal.

Have you tried doing a DIRECT connection from the pc to your CABLE modem, not the router? That will tell you alot. You may have to recycle the cable modem first.

In the meantime, for diagnostic purposes, try this. In the RUN box, type cmd , then ENTER. A dos-like window will open. at the C:> prompt, type ipconfig /all then the enter key. You should get all kinds of info- if there are no numbers for your IP address, Gateway, etc. then there's def. a problem 'tween your router and computer. I know, that's why you posted your question- but it may give others here something to work with should you post your results.

As to moving that large file over, as suggested, burn it to a disc, or, if you have winrar or winzip, you may be able to compress the file small enough to fit on your flash-drive. btw, have you checked your firewall settings? Hopefully, it's something that simple- it's possible you locked yourself out from the 'net. Good luck!

Collapse -
I meant to say
by Brandon Eng / May 10, 2006 6:08 PM PDT

so your COMPUTER isn't communicating with your router. There used to be an edit option in the old days here, even after you posted, I think.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.