Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

cannot format xp pc

by conleth / December 2, 2012 4:18 AM PST

I have deleted the c drive partition and i am trying to format it using NTFS with a XP pro cd. However the format progress bar stays on 0%. I have also tried to use Norton partion magic to format but with no success.
Any suggestions!?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot format xp pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot format xp pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: formatting
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: cannot format xp pc

You can't format a deleted partition. You can only format an existing partition. So your story isn't complete.

What disk (SATA, IDE?), how big the disk, how big the partition, what version of XP (original, SP1, SP2, SP3)?
How did you delete the partition? How did you create the new partition (if you did)?
Why did you delete the partition?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Bad hard drive?
by wpgwpg / December 2, 2012 4:25 AM PST

I'd see if I could find something else to boot from to see if that could format it, but it sounds like your hard drive has a problem. Among things to try would be a Windows Vista or Windows 7 install disc, a Windows 7 repair disc, a UBCD disc (you can download UBCD here), etc. If you should have to replace it, they've gotten pretty inexpensive. You can buy them from $50 and up

What prompted you to want to format it?

Collapse -
Answer
You "Deleted" The C Partition??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 4:30 AM PST

If you've done such, you will need to create a new C: partition (or any other letter designation), in order for XP to correctly format it..

Or possibly, if the computer originally contained Vista or Windows 7, then it's possible you have an issue with the SATA hard drive.. Unfortunately, you haven't told us enough to make a decision on such.

Or maybe you didn't actually "delete" the partition but instead wiped the contents from the C drive, then assuming you can boot from the XP cd corrrectly, and you are following the basic instructions in the link below, if the disc won't correctly format the C: drive, you probably should get a new drive.

Or, if you choose, you could use a disc wiper, such as Dban, to wipe everything from the drive, then boot from the XP disc, create a new C: drive, then install the operating system.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Format using Win 98 CD
by JiniOnline / December 4, 2012 8:36 PM PST

Try to make partition & format CD using 98 CD.

Collapse -
That's a bad idea
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: Format using Win 98 CD

Windows 98 doesn't know about NTFS. Only small FAT32 partitions.

Kees

Collapse -
Not a bad idea
by JiniOnline / December 5, 2012 6:41 PM PST
In reply to: That's a bad idea

It's not a bad idea.
I have done it using 98 CD.
Delete partition & format (FAT32) using 98 CD, it will rectify some issues of old hard disk. Then format using XP cd to install.

Collapse -
Re: not a bad idea.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: Not a bad idea

Most 98 disks weren't bootable. You needed a floppy with fdisk and format to boot from for Windows 98.
And there's a maximum disk and partition size supported, which is rather small for current use.
And most people won't have a Win98 disk.

Moreover, it isn't clear at all why the Win98 format would work if the XP format and the Partiton Magic format fail. In fact, the OP didn't tell anything about the error message that turned up. He didn't even give any answer to all our suggestions.
My guess is that it's a hardware issue, but it's impossible to tell without having the details.

Kees

Collapse -
Most 98se CDs were bootable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Not a bad idea

But this advice is not for everyone. For most folk an cranky old disk is bad news. I've encountered the persons who try to save old gear and those that get the machines are thankful at first then curse then as the machine wipes out their files.

I guess backup is a learned thing and can't always be taught.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.