Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cannot find wireless signal anymore. HELP!

by TimZ / October 30, 2006 6:10 AM PST

My neighbor/friend and I share a wireless network/internet connection. For the past 6 months its worked great. Recently the wireless signal stopped showing up for me. It shows up just fine on my neighbors PC and also on my girlfriends laptop. I'm using a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter - WUSB54GC. My drivers and firmware are all up to date, yet nothing shows up. I can pick up a bunch of other nearby wireless connections (other neighbors), but not my own. I've tried everything including resetting the wireless router (which is in my neighbors apartment), and re-installing my Linksys Adapter software. Nothing works. Any ideas?? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot find wireless signal anymore. HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot find wireless signal anymore. HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is SSID enabled?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2006 7:49 AM PST

The router may have died or you ran into that SSID issue I see often.

The pundits tell people to disable, I find I have to turn it back on.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How do I enable SSID or check its status?
by TimZ / October 30, 2006 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Is SSID enabled?
Collapse -
It's a router setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2006 9:31 AM PST

For me to be more specific, we'd look in the router manual.

Bob

Collapse -
Your Wireless Signal
by golian234 / November 1, 2006 6:43 AM PST

Is there any way you can call your provider to perform a test from their server to your router? That way your provider can determine if your router is bad and needs replaced. Your radio connection can be tested from the provider's server too.

Now if you are pulling off your friend's connection without her/his provider knowing about it, you may have been found out and cut off. There is a way the wireless provider can test this from their server to see if your friend is pulling more bandwidth and he/she should be using.

On the other hand, I have wireless network in my house where my router can connect up to 4 computers.

Collapse -
Try changing the router's channel
by kgross / November 3, 2006 2:46 PM PST

For reasons unknown to me, I've experienced times where I was unable to connect to my router from my laptop or other computer using the wireless and even resetting the router made no difference whereas changing the channel (they range from 1 to 11 on mine) worked. I don't know if my router had stopped working on one particular channel or what, but I think it may be possible that your computer's wireless card could have a problem with whatever channel your neighbor's router is broadcasting (or some other form of interference) while your girlfriend's still works. It's worth a try.

Collapse -
Wireless problems...
by hpierce / November 3, 2006 5:12 PM PST

Do you by chance have a 2.4 gig wireless phone close to you computer. Remember the wireless b & g share the same band as the phone. This at time can cause problems.

Collapse -
Cordless 2.4 phone
by gch42 / November 3, 2006 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless problems...

I recently encountered this problem when we redecorated and the wireless router was moved. Now, I can not use my wireless phone near any wireless computers. It's possible either you (or even another neighbor) has moved some item using the 2.4 GHz band into an area between the router and your device. Changing the channel may help, but a redecoration may be needed.

Collapse -
Check these..
by conflow / November 4, 2006 7:04 AM PST

The Linksys product is very good but "finniky" to set up.The SSID must be registered within its SSID Panel and also on the Router.Certain 'Firewalls' block its operation as example the Net-Veda Firewall must be set up to accomodate the Linksys.
Conflow.

Collapse -
ROUTER
by DELRAYBEACHBUM / November 4, 2006 11:39 PM PST

IF YOU WANT A GOOD ROUTER THAT WORKS BY A BELKIN I HAVE ONE ON 2 PCS I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT THE ROUTER OR THE CARD IT COSTS $40.00 FOR BOTH YOU CAN GET AT BESTBUY IF YOU WANT MORE INFO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS DELRAYBEACHBUM@ADELPHIA.NET

Collapse -
Windows updating Broadcom drivers
by Moogs820 / May 18, 2010 2:10 PM PDT

I had this same problem and i just found an easy way to fix it. It stopped working right after I installed updates for windows, one of these being a Broadcom driver update. The fix: Open device manager, find your network adapter, open properties, click driver tab, Roll back drivers. Once I did this i was connected again. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.