Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot enter text in IE field boxes

by Cycleman / January 19, 2005 4:03 AM PST

Running Windows 2000 professional on this computer.

Recently, IE6 began to not allow text entry into various fields on the web pages. Such things as search functions (e.g., Google's search field, MS's search fields, passwords, etc.). The links all work, in any web page, but I'm not able to get the cursor (vertical line) to enter the box, so I can type text.

I used IEfix v 1.4, re-booted, but it made no difference.
Still not able to get text into the boxes.

I went to MS, downloaded SP1, reinstalled, still no difference.

(I'm able to send this note, because I'm using Firefox).

The non-functioning IE is on a work computer, so I have to use IE.

Help, please...

Al

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot enter text in IE field boxes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot enter text in IE field boxes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At work? Have the IT staff fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 4:26 AM PST

Really. It's their job...

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, yes, but....
by Cycleman / January 19, 2005 4:51 AM PST

they're not sure, and want to do a complete rebuild. I'm just looking for a possible solution, so I can do it myself. Not all the staff is as quick and as good as you would think.

So, is there a clue to get me going on this??

Al

Collapse -
Cannot enter data in webpages
by wanomad1970 / March 16, 2005 2:38 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you! It works! BUT...
by ccho095 / April 1, 2012 8:16 PM PDT

Hey! It worked for me as well. Cool Thank you very much! Grin
For me I even couldn't type anything in User Accounts Text Field Box from Control Panel as well before running that dll file! ShockedSad It is said maybe my PC was infected by some kind of Devil malware Devil before that my PC's Firewall was somehow disabled and the worst thing was that I couldn't access the Internet at all! ShockedSadCryAngry So I then re-install Windows and Anti-Virus also and now I can access the Internet with Firewall enabled but I've got this new small problem until I read your post! Grin
HOWEVER, now I still feel a bit worried that I think the ugly Devil malware is still inside my PC although I've re-install the OS since that the new problem has just occured after I re-install the Windows... ConfusedSadAngry
Any COMMENTS or HELPS ABOUT THIS MATTER WILL BE APPREEEECIATED THANK YOU VERY MUUUUCH!!! CoolHappyMischiefBlushWink

Collapse -
What do you do to keep SPYWARE out?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 5:47 AM PST

The usual scans of Adaware, Spybot?

Do tell.

Bob

Collapse -
neither...
by Cycleman / January 19, 2005 6:43 AM PST

We use NAV, but neither the spybot or adaware. I'll try this.

Maybe I'll remove the internal spyware?? That would be a hoot.

Anyway, thanks. I'll see what happens.

Could there also be a missing or corrupted file in Win 2000? All my other programs are running fine---just IE is the problem.

Collapse -
Spyware is the new plague or "virus".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: neither...

It's not detected by NAV since it's not technically a virus. If you need to catch up on what these are, read...

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

My hunch is a BHO has been installed and you get to deal with it.

And yes, less than up to the second IT staff will wipe and reload the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
BHO
by Cycleman / January 19, 2005 10:21 AM PST

That was a very good link for valuable information. Some of my ignorance has been removed, as a result.

I use spybot routinely at home, and I'll give it a try at work. Ad-Aware, too.

It's not something I keep current with, so this was very helpful.

I will report back my progress. Thanks.

Al

Collapse -
Hope it helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: BHO

All I can offer is that I've seen too many oddities over the last year that you would have never suspected would be caused by software that your firewall and NAV would allow on the machine...

Bob

Collapse -
tried both, but...
by Cycleman / January 20, 2005 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Hope it helps.

neither did the trick. They did remove some junk, of course, but on re-boot, IE is still uncooperative.

Collapse -
Then you offer a hijack log.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: tried both, but...
Collapse -
thanks....
by Cycleman / January 20, 2005 8:22 PM PST

By the way, our IT people have no idea what is causing this. They're wanting to re-build.

I'll try looking while in the Safe Mode, to see if I can find anything.

I am, by no means, as skilled at these things as I should be. But, I can see why a very large population of computer owners' machines are infected with viruses/spyware.

Collapse -
Fix for cannot type text in IE
by paul_madore / March 1, 2005 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: thanks....

I am an IT person and have seen this problem on three computers. The first two I had to reload all software like your guys mentioned but I decided I cannot do that everytime. I had tried to fix the problem before without luck but I just fixed a computer that was exhibiting the same problems. I reloaded Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 which is in Windows Update or via the Microsoft Download site. The computer already had this update but for whatever reason the main files were either deleted or corrupted. I downloaded IE6 SP1 and loaded it on the affected computer and it is working now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.