Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Cannot download from CNET

by Jim__B / February 22, 2011 7:53 PM PST

Here's hoping the problem is being addressed. I was unable to download anything from CNET.com starting a few weeks ago. (XP w/ IE Cool When I clicked on "Download" the screen would flash and reload but it returned to the same screen. I also noticed the "Sort By" selection button had the same reaction. Today the "Sort By" button does function and rearranges the downloads accordingly. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot download from CNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot download from CNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
experiencing the same problem....
by MMAACha / February 23, 2011 12:46 AM PST

I'm experiencing the same problem today as well. I've always been able to download from CNET.com, but somehow today, no matter what I try to download nothing is happening. Same as you, I click on the "downlad" and it would flash and reload and returns to the same screen. Wonder if it's a CNET issue. On windows 7 home premium, IE latest version.

Collapse -
CNET downloading seems fixed
by Jim__B / February 23, 2011 2:44 AM PST

The downloads now work normally for me. I do see a reference to javascript in the redirect that wasn't there when the download didn't work. Be sure to clear out your browser cache and temporary internet files. Although that didn't specifically fix the problem for me it may have had a bearing once CNET changed their end.

Collapse -
Addition to previous post
by Jim__B / February 23, 2011 2:48 AM PST

BTW if by "latest version" you are referring to IE 9 I think there is a separate forum that addresses that issue.

Collapse -
Did you do something to your computer?
by MMAACha / February 23, 2011 3:55 AM PST

I just tried to download and still experiencing the same problems, did you do anything differently to be able to download again? I've never had a problem before and I've downloaded from CNET.com on many occasions.
Sorry, got lazy, that's why I responded with IE latest version. I'm thinking that's not where the problem lies.
Thanks and glad the downloads are working for you now.

Collapse -
I am having the exact same problem
by Ute62 / February 24, 2011 3:08 AM PST

I am having the exact same problem trying to download at http://download.cnet.com/Freemake-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75218346.html . I have gone to the software parent site to attempt a download from it, but it only leads me back to downloadcnet.com, so there appears to be no alternate download site. This is the first time I have run into a download problem like this. I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Explorer 8, though I have tried Firefox 3.6 also, with the same result. I contacted CNET tech help and received an email suggesting I try some help measures given on http://www.download.com/help . So far, none have worked. Hence, my being here at the CNET Forum, another of their suggestions.

Collapse -
If you would...
by John.Wilkinson / February 24, 2011 12:37 PM PST

Please try temporarily disabling JavaScript within your browser. In Firefox, you can do this by going Tools->Options->Content and unchecking the box next to "Enable JavaScript." There have been quite a few people reporting this issue, and, after playing around with it, I wonder if this is a Javascript issue rather than a redirect issue.

Let us know.
John

P.S. Some features on the site, including login/logout, will stop functioning until you re-enable JavaScript. That's expected; just see if you can successfully download after disabling JavaScript and refreshing the page.

Collapse -
Still the same issue but found a temp solution
by MMAACha / February 24, 2011 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: If you would...

I don't know how to disable JavaScript through IE.

I noticed I was only experiencing the download issue in IE. I tried downloading it through Google Chrome and it was successful. I copied the download page address and pasted it onto IE and it redirected me to the "download now" page, so I'm assuming it's a redirect issue through IE. I know the previous user also tried with IE8 and wasn't successful. I have downloaded through IE through CNET previously and never had a problem until this week.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Thank you, MMAACha for successful download
by Ute62 / February 25, 2011 3:31 AM PST

Is it proper to shout "THANK YOU" for your suggestion, MMAACha, to use Google Chrome? I downloaded the browser after seeing your suggestion. After copy/pasting the download.cnet.com address to it, the software that would not download on IE 8 and Firefox 3.6 was successful on Google Chrome.

Collapse -
Glad to hear it worked
by MMAACha / February 25, 2011 8:19 AM PST

No thanks necessary, just glad you were able to download. After trying Google Chrome, it's really a much faster browser than IE.

Collapse -
Can't download Youtube downloader from Biennesoft
by forceworks / April 2, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Glad to hear it worked
Collapse -
Beware those Youtube downloaders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 4:39 AM PDT

As Youtube's use agreement tells us we can't download I find Youtube may change and break such downloaders.

Since downloaders are a violation of the agreement at youtube, support is hard to find.
Bob

Collapse -
Google Chrome worked for me, too
by Just an Avg Bear / March 8, 2011 1:26 PM PST

Same problem (two weeks later), same attempts at solving it: followed the recommendation to disable javascripts in both IE8 and Firefox. Finally downloaded Chrome, which was extremely quick & easy to install. CNet download worked using that. Many thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -
Still the exact same problem
by Ute62 / February 25, 2011 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: If you would...

Thanks for your suggestion, which I tried on Firefox. Unfortunately, it was still unsuccessful in downloading the desired software.
I'm wondering whether the download problems I and a few others are reporting is a common one at downloadcnet.com? Or is it only seen on certain links like the one I am having problem with? Perhaps it could be widespread, but not being reported.

Collapse -
I'm wondering the same...
by John.Wilkinson / February 25, 2011 4:13 AM PST

Try as I might, I've been unable to encounter the issue, so I'm left making educated guesses based on what I see happen (regarding Javascript, redirects, etc) when I attempt a download. It's one of those cases where I'd love to pop my head out of the other person's monitor and see what's going on first-hand. Happy

A couple quick thoughts:
1.) Could you right-click the the Download Now link, copy the link location (URL), and paste it here? Also, share the exact URL of the page you found the Download Now link on.
2.) Do you happen to use TechTracker (either Plus or Free version)?
3.) Do you have any ad blockers, script blockers, etc installed?

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this as it's become a personal interest of mine, largely because there are so many complaints yet it works so consistently for me.

Thanks!
John

Collapse -
In response...
by Ute62 / February 25, 2011 6:53 AM PST

In response to your request, I have been using Firefox 3.6 and IE 8, the URL I have been using, and where the download link is located is http://download.cnet.com/Freemake-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75218346.html . The download link is located at the top of the opening page. I do not use TechTracker. I may have an ad blocker (is there a place I should look to find out for sure?), but no others. As you may guess, I do not consider myself a computer whiz. I just use it to get what I want done and try not to get too involved with it, though it does not always work when technical issues come along. However, if I can supply further information that will help, I'd be interested in knowing what the problem is as well.

Collapse -
Links and blockers...
by John.Wilkinson / February 25, 2011 12:39 PM PST
In reply to: In response...

Hey ute62,

There is no common place to look for ad and script blockers. For Firefox, AdBlock Plus (ABP) and NoScript are the most common, while such for Internet Explorer are rarer to come by. Generally, though, if you do not remember explicitly downloading and installing one, you probably do not have one.

The biggest help as this point would be to right-click the Download Now link and copy the link location (URL). Note that that's not necessarily the same URL that you'll end up as if you click the link, so it is important to differentiate the two. I am hoping to find a common link, no pun intended, between the links you and others experiencing this issue are receiving.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
"Download Now" links...
by Ute62 / February 26, 2011 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Links and blockers...

I hope the following link is what you requested, Mr. Wilkinson. I tried 2 different options available by right-clicking the "Download Now" button.

This URL was obtained by clicking on "Save link as?."
http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2194_4-75218346&ontId=2194_4&spi=29e5f28c7f9bb6ff8b190fbd9a3af8e5&lop=btn&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=11730317&mfgId=10098061&merId=10098061&pguid=QhBuawoOYJIAABTpf-0AAACz&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-2194_4-75218346.html%3Fspi%3D29e5f28c7f9bb6ff8b190fbd9a3af8e5

This following URL, which is similar, but not exactly the same as above, was obtained by clicking on "Send link?."
http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2194_4-75218346&ontId=2194_4&spi=f58a2b60036eb234433b0bfe5e67f28b&lop=btn&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=11730317&mfgId=10098061&merId=10098061&pguid=a4pxnwoOYIwAAHLPqPoAAADf&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-2194_4-75218346.html%3Fspi%3Df58a2b60036eb234433b0bfe5e67f28b
I have tried both of the above by pasting to the address bar of Firefox. When I press "Enter," the address changes back to the original http://download.cnet.com/Freemake-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75218346.html .
Incidentally, when I press the "Download Now" button, the only change I see on the page is that the advertisement at the top of the page and the right column refresh, but not the body of the text. This also happens when I paste the above URL's and press "Enter.' Of course, no download occurs.
Hope this information is useful to you. And, thanks to you and everyone else for joining the 'battle.'

Collapse -
That's exactly what I was looking for...
by John.Wilkinson / February 26, 2011 7:05 AM PST

I do not have an answer/solution yet, but thanks for providing that information; I am hoping it leads to the cause and resolution of this ongoing issue.

John

Collapse -
Download URL
by Jim__B / February 25, 2011 8:25 AM PST

This is the URL that the Download Now link redirects to that does work:

http://download.cnet.com/3001-2194_4-75218346.html?spi=dce50a32f0723ceb7a162db20c612acf

When the Download Now wasn't working I think the screen flashed and it returned to the original URL. I kind of remember seeing a facebook reference flash by when the download didn't work for me. As I stated earlier when it didn't work I tried clearing the browser cache and temporary files. It made no difference at that time but downloads worked the following morning. I also see a javascript reference flash by now that the downloads work that I don't think I saw when the downloads didn't work. (See my earlier post above)

Collapse -
Download URL
by Jim__B / February 25, 2011 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Download URL

BTW I want to remind you that when the download link didn't work for me neither did the "Sort By" button in the software listing page. When those button selections started to work again so did the downloads.....

Collapse -
Links and redirects...
by John.Wilkinson / February 25, 2011 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: Download URL

Hey Jim,

CNET actually uses a couple different types of links for downloads, so there's some complexity in tracking this down. If it happens again, could you right-click the Download Now link, copy the location/URL, and paste it here. As I mentioned above to Ute62, the link on the page should differ from the URL you actually land on. Specifically, it should start with either javascript: OR http://dw.com.com. Both rely on redirects, while the former also relies on Javascript. And since those Sort By buttons also rely on Javascript, both may be a result of the same cause.

For you, one other question: is your CNET account associated with a Facebook account?

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Links and redirects answer to question
by Jim__B / February 25, 2011 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: Links and redirects...

In answer to your question my account is not associated with a Facebook account. As a matter of fact I don't even have a Facebook account. Just to clarify my particular situation downloads and sorting work normally for me at this time. I really don't know what action on CNET's end fixed my problem. I think I saw the dw.com reference when the download wasn't working. (Hope I don't jinx myself)

Collapse -
It seems random...
by John.Wilkinson / February 26, 2011 7:07 AM PST

It appears to be an issue that affects users randomly, so, while I hope for your sake you do not encounter it again, I hope you get the opportunity to copy the "dw.com.com" link if you do happen to be affected again.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
re: does work
by rewar281 / March 21, 2011 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: This works!!!!!!!!!!!

Confirmed, I had almost given up when I noticed I wasn't getting rid of the l in html...I now have my download going. Still ridiculous that this happens. You click on a link that's says download you expect a download no?

Collapse -
Changing the html to htm works
by greylensman / March 25, 2011 2:46 PM PDT

Yes, just changing the html to htm works fine.

Collapse -
Answers to your questions
by MMAACha / February 25, 2011 8:30 AM PST

1 - these were the 2 downloads I was trying to get through IE and it just redirects me back to the same page

http://download.cnet.com/Glary-Utilities/3000-2094_4-10508531.html?tag=mncol;1

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?tag=mncol;5

then tried it on Google Chrome and was able to download, I copy and pasted this link onto IE and it redirected to the "Download Now" (the same links as above) page

2 - I do not use TechTracker

3 - I disabled all my pop-ups, ad blockers, etc and even lowered the security on my IE and was still not able to download through IE.

Hope this helps, I'm not super tech savvy but I can usually problem solve what goes on.

Thanks and let me know if you find a solution.

http://download.cnet.com/3001-2094_4-10508531.html?spi=28086905f68a214f09de44a396c5be00

http://download.cnet.com/3001-2086_4-10407614.html?spi=eef9a423f1b43ae618c0a0610fbed71b

Collapse -
correction
by MMAACha / February 25, 2011 9:08 AM PST

The bottom 2 links of the above post should have been under "then tried it on Google Chrome and was able to download, I copy and pasted this link onto IE and it redirected to the "Download Now" (the same links as above) page" I don't know why when it posted, it put these 2 links on the bottom of the page when I had it under "then tried it on Google...." Just a recap, these 2 links when I copy and pasted to IE, it redirected me to the "Download Now" page.

Thanks and sorry for any confusion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.