Computer Newbies

General discussion

Cannot download anything!!!

by jhallick12 / July 23, 2008 3:29 PM PDT

I've had my dell now for about 4 years. It is currently running windows XP and I run avg scans regularly. Just recently I woke up one day and got on my computer and my avg was out of date so I clicked on update and it failed to do so. This was a shock to me so I decided to try and download other things off the internet to see if it was just my avg or not. Unfortunately nothing would download at all, even off the internet. So now my computer cannot download anything at all and I have no clue what to do. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot download anything!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot download anything!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell more.
by Kees Bakker / July 23, 2008 5:03 PM PDT

Like: what program do you use to download, two examples of things you tried to download (in such detail that we can try also) and what exactly happens if you do.

Kees

Collapse -
downloading
by jhallick12 / July 24, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Please tell more.

When I try to download lets say aim off of download.com it will start to download but then stop after about 25% and just never go any further. Then when I open my itunes it says click here to update and when I do so its just freezes and doesnt do anything at all. Also I tried downloading a game off the internet and it just sorta blinked and didn't do anything. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox but it didn't do anything.

Collapse -
Recap.
by Kees Bakker / July 24, 2008 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: downloading

- You use Firefox.
- Downloading from download.com with Firefox stops at 25%.
- Updating iTunes does nothing.
- Downloading an unspecified game from an unspecified site (with Firefox, I assume) does nothing but sorta blinking.

- Try downloading from download.com in IE (6 or 7?)
- If IE7, try downloading from downloading after starting it with IEXPLORE -EXTOFF in the Start>Run box
In both cases, clear your Temporary Internet Files (Tools>Internet Options) before starting.

And one more question: what's your Internet connection (dial-up, ADSL, cable, satellite)?

Kees

Collapse -
info
by jhallick12 / July 24, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Recap.

I tried that and I still cant download anything. I can't update anything: itunes, avg, windows update. I have dial up connection which sucks but it usually works all the time. My moms computer in the other room works fine with internet connection but my computer does not.

Collapse -
Then it becomes more difficult.
by Kees Bakker / July 24, 2008 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: info

Things to suspect: firewall settings, antivirus program, malware, damaged TCP-IP files.

Let's start with malware.
- What antivirus and antispyware program do you use? Try a webbased scanner like housecall.antivirus.com. But it might not work, because it implies downloading.
- Boot into Safe Mode with Inetwork support and try downloading again. Most malware won't run in safe mode.

Kees

Collapse -
how to boot in safe mode
by jhallick12 / July 24, 2008 8:24 AM PDT

I'm sorry im a little new with computers. How exactly do I boot in safe mode?

Collapse -
Safe Mode Instructions
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 8:59 AM PDT

I'm not sure whether Kees is in bed yet but...Here's the link:

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by jhallick12 / July 24, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode Instructions

Ok, I will try that and then post back the outcome. Thank you very much.

Collapse -
Avg and downloading
by AmberNicolex3 / April 7, 2010 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Well I have avg and have the same problem did you ever figure it out?

Collapse -
Hey Grif, ...
by Kees Bakker / July 24, 2008 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode Instructions

There's 9 hours time difference between forum time and my local time (GST+1 + daylight saving = GST+2). So when you wrote this it was 0:59 AM and I was in bed indeed.

Kees

Collapse -
I need in on this...
by sethos2007 / December 6, 2009 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Hey Grif, ...

I'm having the same problems right now.

I've checked my Firewall settings; installed updates on avguard manually and run Avira's registry cleaner and Eusing registry cleaner ~ in safemode; AND this is the first forum i've found with anyone having a similar problem.

Oh, and a question for you jHallick: Does avg show "Unknown" in the status menu?

Collapse -
You've Posted To A 1 1/2 Year Old Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 6, 2009 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: I need in on this...

I doubt you'll receive a response from the original poster PLUS, it tends to hide your question from the view of others..

Since you've failed to give us any information about your computer, your operating system, the type of internet connection you've got, etc., it's tough to provide any good suggestions to help.. I'll suggest you start a new thread of your own in this forum and in doing so, please provide all such details to help us help you.

By the way, using registry cleaners such as those you've mentioned will frequently CAUSE the problem you're seeing.. If you've got a "undo" option on those reg cleaners, try using it and seeing if the fix appears.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) cant download software
by turko72 / September 27, 2010 6:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry to hear that.
by Kees Bakker / September 27, 2010 6:27 PM PDT
In reply to: cant download software

Please start a new thread about your problem and tell all the details.

Kees

Collapse -
Cannot download anything EITHER !!! ... and I am NOT a newbi
by KenFromMS / June 19, 2011 1:55 PM PDT

I was going to say this was a major defect with Windows 7, but it appears that the problem has been around for quite some time.

Collapse -
Please Start Your Own Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 19, 2011 2:09 PM PDT

Since you've posted to a thread which started three years ago, used a different operating system and may be using a different browser, internet connection, and who knows what else, please start a new thread in these forums and give us more information about our computer.. Operating system, make and model number, internet connection type, browser type and version number, service pack on the oeprating system, types of malware scans you've already done, and what you've already done to try to eliminate the problem.. We might be able to provide some assistance.

Hoe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Cannot Download Anything with Windows 7 ... I am NOT a Newbe
by KenFromMS / June 29, 2011 1:56 PM PDT

Purchased a new computer and installed Windows 7 back in June 2010. I went to the trouble to Activate Windows after having entered the Key Code. I was using Internet Explorer but switched over to FireFox for a number of reasons. Cannot download on either IE or FireFox though. The computer us almost usless without download capability. I can download and convert video's off of YouTube though using Alive YouTube Video converter.
Downloaded without any problem for about 6 months. Seems I installed a program called Orbit due to its capability to download flash Video's. At some point I began to have download problems. Seems I solved the download problem for a period by DeInstalling Orbit. Now the problem has ReAppeared even with Orbit DeInstalled. I know absolutely nothing about running the computer as an administrator and am dumbfounded at the concept of download Privileges. I am NOT a NewBIE. I have been downloading on W95, W98, W2000, WinXp for the past 14years without any problem. Now with a Licensed copy of Windows 7 I have these bizzare download issue's. I would appreciate any tips you might have.

Collapse -
Cannot Download Anything
by kenwaterstx / December 16, 2014 10:34 PM PST

Dish Users - if you have exhausted your high speed data allowance during peak time (8 AM to 12 AM) you will have this problem when attempting to download regardless of browser. Downloading works fine 12 AM to 8 AM. Or wait until the next Dish billing cycle when you again have some high speed data usage available during the day.

Collapse -
(NT) Enough Said To This Thread From '08. Locking...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2014 3:14 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.