Samsung forum

General discussion

cannot detect samsung tv hdmi input source

by jchua123 / June 13, 2011 11:02 PM PDT

I have a samsung tv model la26r71bx/sap. it has only 1 hdmi input and it is label as dvi/hdmi input port. The tv also has a dvi audio input port, which is next to this dvi/hdmi port( i guess it can also be use by a dvi-hdmi cable/adapter to connect to these 2 port). These 2 port has not been used for 1-2 yrs since i bought this tv.

Recently, i have bought a hd set top box and a hdmi cable(hdmi male port on both ends)and intend to connect these 2 equipment together. However, my samsung tv cannot detect this hdmi input. hdmi input source was show as grey out when i try to select it from my tv.

I'm not sure if the cable spoilt (I have only 1 cable and this is new) or hdmi/dvi port spoilt or if i have bought the wrong cable(should bought dvi-hdmi cable instead).

Anyone here enounter similar issues? Please advise. 10s

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot detect samsung tv hdmi input source
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot detect samsung tv hdmi input source
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cannot detect samsung tv hdmi input source -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 14, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

jchua123,

Was anything ever connected to the TV with either DVI or HDMI?

You might try a different HDMI cable, since the DVI to HDMI cable will not pass audio - so you'd need to get a separate audio connection if you go that route. HDMI-to-HDMI is the easiest if you can get it to work.

Also check to see that your source box is sending the signal specifically through the HDMI port to the TV. Many devices will default on composite (yellow AV) or component (Red Blue Green).

--HDTech

Collapse -
(NT) cannot detect samsung tv hdmi input source
by jchua123 / June 14, 2011 7:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
by jchua123 / June 14, 2011 7:39 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my hdmi cable(hdmi-to-hdmi type) was connected fully from the samsung tv to the set top box and the tv still cannot detect this hdmi source when I try to view it from the TV. Are you trying to say that the current hdmi(hdmi-to-hdmi type) cable that I using now is correct and need not change to the other type of hdmi cable(dvi-to-hdmi type)? I did not use this hdmi(hdmi/dvi in) port ever since I bought this TV so i not too sure if the hdmi port has issues or my current hdmi cable type is wrong.

my tv still cannot detect this hdmi connection and I cannot get to view any hdmi video output to the tv set. Thus, it quite difficuilt for me to select any settings from my set top box currently. I notice that most newer tv are able to use the tv menu settings to switch to 720/1080 hd mode. however, my tv is a old model, it does not have the settings to adjust it to hd mode and it is only hd-ready capable. Does that mean that it will be in 720p or 720i default mode when the tv use hdmi as an input source?

Please advise

Collapse -
by jchua123 / June 15, 2011 6:37 PM PDT

just additonal info, my tv only has 1 hdmi port(label as hdmi/dvi in) and i have only 1 cable, so hard for me to use this cable and test it on other tv or other hdmi port also.

please advise. 10s.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

jchua123,

It may be that the STB isn't sending a signal that the televisino can handle. Changing the resolution might be an option, but you'd have to conenct with AV cables to do that, and then you'll have to access the menu in the STB box to see what resolution it's sending.

I'm not familar with that specific model, so I'm a bit in the dark. If it's a 2010 or 2011 model, try going into the menu to see if you have the option to edit the name of the inputs. Changing those might help. If you have that option it will be in:

Menu > Input > Edit Input Name > (scroll through these and see if you can get a picture)

--HDTech

Collapse -
by jchua123 / June 16, 2011 8:45 PM PDT

10s for the reply.

Unfortuntely my hd stb only have 1 input source which is hdmi input soure, so I don't think I can use it to connect to av or componment input source to test either. It the same for my other home equipments(dvd player, etc), they doesn't have a hdmi port for me to connect to the tv to test on.

Yes, check thru my tv and manage to edit those names for my tv 1 and only hdmi input source. However, it still doesn't work after I edit the input names for the hdmi source.

I have also notice something while doing the abv-mention test: for my other devices(dvd player, etc) that is using av or component input source, their connections is still being detected even thou the dvd player, etc devices are already switch off. In other words, it is not necessary to switch on these equipments(dvd player, etc) in order to let the tv detect these av, component connection, I think the tv will detect it once the cables are fully plug-in(for these 2 input source). I'm not too sure if this work the same for hdmi input source, I'm wondering if you can help me to verify on this?

Back to my cable question, my hdmi cable(hdmi-to-hdmi type) was connected fully from the samsung tv
to the set top box and the tv still cannot detect this hdmi source. From your earlier posts, are you trying to say that the current
hdmi(hdmi-to-hdmi type) cable that I using now is correct and need not
change to the other type of hdmi cable(dvi-to-hdmi type), even thou it can support dvi-to-hdmi type because my tv label that hdmi port as dvi/hdmi input source? Does it only support hdmi-to-hdmi type, or both hdmi-to-hdmi type and dvi-to-hdmi type?

Does hdmi cable as other type of cable as well(ie different type of connectors)? I not too sure if I get the correct hdmi of the correct type, can you or anyone else help me to verify on this?

Please advise. 10s.

Collapse -
by jchua123 / June 19, 2011 5:29 PM PDT

Can someone help me to reply my queries on my samsung tv(the previous post before this)?

10s..

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2011 8:45 AM PDT

jchua123,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.