PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Cannot detect hard disk

by kreak17 / March 27, 2007 2:14 AM PDT

Hi all,

I recently bought a 250gb wd hard disk with SATA2 support and a nexstar 3(nst-360su) external 3.5" hdd enclosure with SATA to eSATA adapter bracket.

I follow the instructions as stated in the manual, connecting the nexstar thru eSATA to my pc's SATA when on the nexstar, nothing happen. No harddisk detected.

I hooked the hard disk directly to my pc's SATA, and my pc can detect it,I thought maybe cannot detect due to need to format the hard disk, so i formatted it to NTFS file system. After that i retry to conect to nexstar, still cannot.

Try with USB, but sometime can detect sometime cannot.
When it got detected thru USB, only for a few minutes then "offline".
I try using other different USB port also cannot be deteced.
Try with other PC, can be deteced thru USB.

I suspect is either the USB port problem or the power supply for the nexstar3?

Can someone tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot detect hard disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot detect hard disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 2:21 AM PDT

Since eSATA is SATA and the drive worked internally the defect is likely in the cables or case.

Return those items.

Bob

Collapse -
Does the interface to the drive support SATA 2?
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

If not WD drives need to have a jumper put on. Go tho the WD site and check your model number. Or the diagram and info is on the drive nameplate.

Collapse -
Forgot to include that with
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

incorrect jumpering erratic read/writes can occur.

Collapse -
www.westendigital.com
by kreak17 / March 28, 2007 1:15 AM PDT

hi all,

i found out from the website (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/resources/DriveCompatibilityguide.asp#external) this information...

"eSATA

SATA is very effective for external storage applications, and the external SATA (eSATA) cable and connector application provides a physically secure and fast connection for external hard drives. With up to 3 Gb/s data transfers, this interface is suitable for hard drives, home networking, digital video, and home entertainment devices such as set-top boxes and personal video recorders. eSATA and internal SATA cables and connectors cannot be used interchangeably. This is an important feature since eSATA cables and connectors are designed for 5000 insertion and removal cycles while internal SATA cables and connectors are designed for only 50 insertion and removal cycles. To achieve eSATA connectivity with an external SATA drive, a SATA PCI card must be installed on the host computer."

Can this be the main problem?

Collapse -
(NT) Only if we wore out the connections.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: www.westendigital.com
Collapse -
BIOS settings for SATA ports
by linkit / March 28, 2007 2:30 AM PDT

What computer model are you using?

What operating system are you using? Any service packs installed? Is it fully updated? Did you ever install the SATA driver?

Some motherboards require you to boot to BIOS and enable the SATA ports. This usually means setting SATA HD detection to "autodetect" or "automatic." Check the motherboard manual.

Some settings will enable only one or two ports. Other settings will enable all SATA ports.

Collapse -
PC Spec
by kreak17 / April 7, 2007 12:11 AM PDT

i using Intel865PE Neo2-V motherboard and Pentium 4.
I follow the manual but still nothing happens.

Collapse -
My PC profile
by kreak17 / April 13, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Spec

Hi, here is my pc profile..

Operating System - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model - MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6788 20A
Processor - 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Main Circuit Board - Board: MICRO-STAR INC. MS-6788 20A
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V6.2 on 07.00T 02/08/06

20.41 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1.98 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

E-IDE CD-ROM 52X/AKH
FS_SCSI7 FS_CDAWDM_2000CD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
TDK CDRW482448BC [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 20 [Hard drive] (20.42 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 652101747162, rev APL.0900, SMART Status: Healthy

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB
Slot '1' is Empty
Slot '2' has 256 MB
Slot '3' is Empty

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.41 GB 1.98 GB free

The hard disk i bought is WD Caviar

Collapse -
some reading that may help
by linkit / April 13, 2007 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: My PC profile
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.