Windows 7

General discussion

Cannot delete folder

by rabb14 / January 5, 2010 9:15 AM PST

Hello,

Two days ago my computer got the all too famous BSOD and refused to even let me run in Safe-mode, so I decided it was high time to finally upgrade to Windows 7. After installing a clean OS and messing around with Windows 7 a bit, I decided to clean up my D: drive (Storage) that I used for unessential programs such as iTunes, Google Chrome, and WinRAR. I left my partitioned C: drive (Local Disk) for my operating system. Then I have E: drive for games.

Now since none of the programs/folders were effected by the reformatted OS, everything is still on the Storage and Game drives but which can't be used. I've managed to delete everything off the E:, but when I try to delete an Adobe folder on D: it says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder". But even after I log in as an administrator it says the exact same thing. Now I'm stuck with a folder I can't delete but has absolutely no use and I'm stumped as to how to fix it.

I'm thinking that it has something to do with it being a partitioned drive, and for some reason I think my computer believes it's an external HD (but doesn't think D: is) so I'm worried I did something seriously wrong.

Can someone help me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot delete folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot delete folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SATA drives may show as externals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2010 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Cannot delete folder

I've ignored that issue and will for some time.

Ok, I use two methods to purge directories like that.

1. I try SAFE MODE.
2. I boot the latest UBUNTU from CD and do not install but run it off the CD and delete the dir and files there.
Bob

Collapse -
Try running it as an adminstrator first
by Dango517 / January 6, 2010 12:42 PM PST

Right click the program choose "Run as administrator".

Collapse -
Permissions
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 7, 2010 3:00 AM PST
Collapse -
If this folder is left over
by peacox / January 8, 2010 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Permissions

from the previous OS then something in it is probably trying to access the old registry to check there are no dependancies to prevent it being deleted. Since the old registry no longer exists it can no longer find the info it is looking for so assumes you don't have permission to access it.
If there are no other files on the D partition that you want to keep, format the partition.

Collapse -
Wow figured this would be an easy one here...
by MrKassner / November 14, 2010 6:56 PM PST

Okay in basic it's because the drive you're trying to delete the folder from is formatted in NTFS and for security NTFS has "permissions" on every file and folder in it. In basic what is happening is you're telling it to delete the folder and the NTFS checks to see if your OS matches the OS that owns the folder (your old OS) and see's they don't match so it blocks you from deleting it, if you tried editing the folder or anything in it it'll do the same thing. Their are basically two ways to fix this.
1. Right click the folder and click "Properties"
Go to the "Security" tab
Click "Advanced"
Go to "Owner" tab
Click "Edit..."
In the window that comes up select your user name *AND* select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
Click "Okay" and close out of all the properties and security windows then you *should* be able to delete the folder. If not then continue;

Right click the folder and click "Properties"
Go to the "Security" tab
Click "Advanced" then "Change Permissions..."
Make sure "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" is NOT selected, if it is selected unselect it and in the popup that comes up click "Add"
One at a time select a name from the list and click "Remove" till none are left then click "Add..." and type in your user name then click "Check Names" and "OK"
On the window that comes up check the checkbox to the right of "Full Control" under "Allow" then "OK"
Select "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
FINALLY click "Okay" then on the popup click "Yes"
Close out all those windows then try deleting the folder.

Collapse -
Oops forgot #2 xP
by MrKassner / November 14, 2010 7:01 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by Jakeholtz / June 30, 2011 5:19 PM PDT

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
Solution for delete folder
by SSL-Certificate / November 14, 2010 8:30 PM PST

This is the reason that may be you format your PC and install new win 7. So, the problem is your some folder may have authority of your old user log in and now your are different user administrator. So, it says log in with administrator means old authorized login which is not possible.

So, the solution is goto folder properties > security tabs change permission of folder to anyone and remove other all access.

This is 100% working solution if you done proper way.

Collapse -
Strange
by MDFlax / November 14, 2010 8:46 PM PST

I thought a format would have deleted all older files from the hard drive.

Mark

Collapse -
Cut and Paste
by spiral9 / September 29, 2011 5:23 PM PDT

"Cut" the file at issue and the paste it in the Recycle Bin, uuuhhhmmm.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.