Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Cannot Connect to Wireless Router w/ WPA Personal TKIP

by TheX13 / January 27, 2010 9:27 AM PST

Router: WRT150N

I have recently gotten a new laptop, a Toshiba. It has Windows 7 (Basic I think). Also when I got this computer I formated the hard drive to our desktop, which was the "admin" of the router, in other words it has the router's setup program on it.
So after formating the hard drive, we had to reinstall our router's setup program.
So right when I got my new laptop, I could easily connect to the internet. But soon I realized that our security was turned off when we did this. So I turned the security back to WPA Personal with TKIP encryption.
After doing this, my new laptop could no longer connect. It can recognize that my network is there, I press connect and it says "Windows was unable to connect to (my network)"I have the correct access code and nothing seems to be different other than our new security.
We have another laptop that has Vista, and that can connect without a problem. I think I can connect if I do wired connection to the router, because my Xbox still has connection, but I have no more cables.
I want to use wireless, but I have no idea why it is not working.
I ran troubleshoot, and it didn't fix anything but it said "Troubleshooting has completed, troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues....Problem with wireless adapter or access point"

I looked on the internet for a solution, some people said to change to WPA2 security, but my router only has 3 types of security. Public(No security), WPA personal, and another W-- something that I cannot remember, but it wasn't WPA2...

I have no idea what to do. I think it is my computer not having an update, but I have done all windows updates. Could it be a driver update? It could be that my router needs a firmware update, but why does my other laptop work????

Please Help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Connect to Wireless Router w/ WPA Personal TKIP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Connect to Wireless Router w/ WPA Personal TKIP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try PSK next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 10:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Reply:Try PSK next.
by TheX13 / January 27, 2010 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Try PSK next.

With my router(WRT150N), you have to have an application that basically lets you change the security for the router and lets you add more computers to your network

Collapse -
That's only if.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: Reply:Try PSK next.

Having setup this model I can write that this CD is helpful but never required.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.