TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Cannot connect to the Internet with Samsung BD-c5500

by Ktpowell / August 12, 2013 9:22 AM PDT

Trying to connect wirelessly to the Internet thru Samsung BluRay BD-C5500 and am receiving the following message:
Physical connection established, but cannot connect to external network. Contact your network service provider.
I have a Netgear Router connected to a Brighthouse network modem for cable, Internet and phone. There are no issues with MacBook Pro, iPhones or iPads connecting to the router or Internet.
What could be the problem? Thank you for your help!

Ktpowell has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot connect to the Internet with Samsung BD-c5500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot connect to the Internet with Samsung BD-c5500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Ktpowell

Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2013 9:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tried the usual...
by Ktpowell / August 12, 2013 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual.

Thank you!
Getting this message at the bottom of the screen when I select Wireless under Initial Settings/Network. Due to change in a WiFi policy, cannot support the TKIP security type in 802.11n mode. In that case, check a security setting on the access point.

TV: Samsung (big azz screen) I can't move it to see behind it to tell you what kind... (I'm a girl and am clueless about these things... Sorry). It's a 1080dpi I know that... Bought it in 2010.
Wireless LAN Adapter: Samsung WIS12ABGNX LAN adapter purchased today.
Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router with WPA
Brighthouse Digital Modem

I have been trying for hours to get it to connect. I've tried all of the suggested solutions on various threads, but nothing is working. Done the various resets on all devices. Nothing works. Sad

Collapse -
Software version
by Ktpowell / August 12, 2013 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried the usual...

Current Version of Software on Blu Ray- BSP--C5500WWB--1008.1

Collapse -
Ahh then it's the TKIP issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried the usual...

Sorry but to fix that I have to change the wifi router to WPA2 AES or Personal security.

Please don't spend any more time on this. It will not work with routers setup like that.
Bob

Collapse -
Router is set WPA2 AES
by Ktpowell / August 12, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

It is already set to that... Should I change it to TKIP and AES? Or just TKIP and/or WEP?
Bet you didn't think I could get into the router settings huh? Happy
Thank you!

Collapse -
"Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router with WPA"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Router is set WPA2 AES

In your post above you write it is WPA and not WPA2.

It appears that the choices are limited here. You may wish to return this player as it will not work with your router settings and you have revealed you can't change the router settings.

At this point, stop trying to make it work. It won't.
Bob

Collapse -
Can change the router settings
by Ktpowell / August 13, 2013 4:20 AM PDT

I'm not sure if I'm misspeaking or you're misreading but something is getting lost in the transmission... Happy

I am able to change the router settings and can do most anything to the Router. At the time of my initial question, the router was set with a WPA2 setting. I did not include that information, because I didn't know that was an issue. This mornings message I asked if I should change the setting to TKIP AND AES or just TKIP by itself or WEP by itself or None? And once I do change it, do I need to go through the whole RESET nonsense again to make it work...

On the computer side of the house, I'm pretty savvy. On the TV/DVD side, not so much... I'm not a TV watcher, my husband is, hence the reason I am trying to get NETFLIX and other things on our OLD BluRay. It has the capabilities of getting internet TV, I just need to configure it to work...

Just PLEASE give me a little guidance, as this side of the house is new to me. My husband is CLUELESS about anything technical, hence the reason I am here... I can do whatever you tell me to do.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

WPA2 with AES personal security. Remember to turn off the firewall in the router since it can interfere with this make. Sorry but I use what you write to guide my answers. I thought I wrote this before and looking up I see it.

Sure you can try WEP but that has issues and I never try that.
Bob

Collapse -
UGH
by Ktpowell / August 12, 2013 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual.

Changed DNS to both 8888 & 8844. Same error message. There are no numbers in the Gateway. Is that normal?

Collapse -
(NT) Given the error, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: UGH
Collapse -
Same problem on Samsung
by mopscare42 / August 14, 2013 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: UGH

I had that same problem on a Samsung BD-F5900 wireless player.
I am also using a Netgear router, mine is a R6200 and I never could get it to work with the Samsung player no matter how I set it up.
I wasted 4 hours with Samsung support and they finally said the wireless player may not be compatible with a Netgear router which made on sense to me at all.
Took the Samsung back to BestBuy and got a Sony BDP-S5100 which actually came out $10 cheaper, hooked it up with the same router settings as before, it found my network and once I put in my password it came right up. Took about 10 minutes. Been working fine.
This may be a different problem, but the error message on your Samsung and mine were identical, word for word.
The people at Samsung had no clue as how to fix it.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 3:32 AM PDT

I've never been able to fix this when the router is using TKIP or mixed modes.

Collapse -
Very sad.
by Ktpowell / August 14, 2013 6:27 AM PDT

Both of you are correct in that Samsung doesn't work with ANY setting on a Netgear router. Spent all last night trying EVERY one of them, turned off the firewall, did the resets of everything, etc. Am taking the LAN adapter back and am getting Apple TV. My Samsung is older and so is my Router and they both are still working, so it makes no sense to me to replace either of them, but to just spend a few extra $ and get Apple TV. Problem solved. Thanks guys for your help!

Collapse -
I wouldn't go that far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Very sad.

I've set it up with too many Netgears to list. But the TKIP and mixed modes do not work for me no matter the make of the router.

All this brings us back to the beginning. That is, was it a dumb idea to use a networking system that is loved by tech heads?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.