by walkinman / April 12, 2006 10:49 AM PDT

Here are the specs of the desktop
Compaq EZ2605
Intel celeron 633MHz
Ram 256Mb
Wireless adapter: Microsoft MN-730 PCI adapter
Wireless router: Belkin 54g F5D72304
Internet provider: SBC Yahoo! DSL

So here is my problem. The main desktop which is connected to the internet is a Gateway pc with Win.XP. I know the router is working properly because I have my Hp laptop(xp)connected to the internet wirelessly without a poblem. The problem is that my second desktop (win.Me)cannot connect to the internet. It connects to my router properly and it has been given an ip address ( and the router reconizes it. I can pingfrom the computer(win me) to the other two computers and reseverse, but cannot ping like ( or the desktop.The adapter is working properly, the light is on i can ping the router. I have done the run:command then ipconfig and all the information is correct and matching. on microsofts broadband networking tool it states that i am connected to the router but from the router to the internet it states ''you are not connected to the internet'' the signal is great. I have no firewall installed in the computer. all i need is so it connects to the internet, nothing more. Firmware is updated on the router. Is there something I am missing?! please help me

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot connect to the Internet through windows Me desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot connect to the Internet through windows Me desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Updated Firmware for the MN-730 PCI adapter??
by Gakada / April 12, 2006 3:58 PM PDT

Did you have a secure wireless, WEP/WPA/WPA2 enabled??

If so try to disabled it first..

Now, how is your current hardware connection?

The basic:
ADSL Modem -->> Wireless Router -->> PC (hardwired and/or wireless)

Collapse -
by kena10 / April 12, 2006 4:50 PM PDT

Check that the password to access the SSID is correct. What works for these kind of devices (for some reason they're picky), is to put the Hex value instead of the password. They can be from 1-4 most of the time. For example, if you've selected the router to use key #3, look at the table and see what the value is. Write it down, then access the configuration on the wireless card that's giving you the problem and instead of typing the password, type in the hex value you wrote. save it and then restart the machine. Once you reboot, wait for the machine to completely boot and access the wireless network. Once it's done, you should be able to get onthe internet.

Collapse -
by walkinman / April 13, 2006 9:13 AM PDT

The firmware is up to date. I also use the basic connection.
Speedstream 5100=> belking 54g router=> computers (1 wired two of them wireless latop and windows ME desktop ). I do have WEP enabled. I have entered the key normally and it logs on to the router,but then after that it still doesnt connect to the internet.

Collapse -
Another note
by walkinman / April 13, 2006 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

My laptop has the key on 1 but I do not know how to find the hex key from the router. where exactly would I find it? the SSID is correct because I can see the computer on the routers log but even still I cannot access the internet from the computer.

Collapse -
Router's hex key
by kena10 / April 13, 2006 7:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Another note

Access the router's web configuration and it should be under the wireless section. Also, when you copy this number, only put the hex key value and not the password too. It only needs one or the other.

Collapse -
Hex Key
by walkinman / April 14, 2006 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Router's hex key

The belkin config. screen is very different. It has "13 hex digit pairs" and it does not state any keys values except for the numbers. These numbers are the password to my network. Do I use the first 8 digits as my hex key value? Also I am wondering whether switching to windows XP might fix this issue, seeing that my laptop with windows Xp connects flawlessly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.