Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot Connect to Internet

by Liriks / June 17, 2005 6:56 AM PDT

Windows XP Pro
3Com EtherLink XL Ethernet card
SBC Yahoo! DSL

Today is the first day that my other computer has even seen the likes of the internet. I just installed the ethernet card. I turned it on and it connected to the internet instantly. I went to my SBC Yahoo start page and got my Yahoo toolbar. I closed the browser.

When I reopened the browser, "Page cannot be displayed" and now nothing at all will connect to the internet. It was just working fine!

The Network profile says that it's working and is enabled.

I didn't disable anything. I simply closed the browser and the next thing I know my connection is worthless. I had a similar problem on a Dell Laptop a month ago, where the connection was fine until the next time I attempted to get online and there was no internet connection to be found. I know the modem works. It works on this computer that I'm using here with Win98SE.

I read many of the forum discussions on here, but there are thousands and I just can't sit here that long and read them all.

This appears to be a common problem since it's already happened to me twice on two different computers. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Connect to Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Connect to Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a direct....
by Michael Geist / June 17, 2005 8:30 AM PDT

connection from the modem to the PCs network card?

Try shutting down the modem and pc and restart in that order after about a minute. In a direct connection to a PC the modem will initialize on that network card. Changing to another computer(with a different NIC), without powering down the modem will cause a loss of internet connectivity.

Solution, get a router.

Collapse -
SBC DSL
by Merl Priester / June 17, 2005 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this a direct....

In this area (Central California) SBC uses PPPoE to connect. If you have a direct connection from PC to DSL modem via ethernet, you system can connect in one of two ways. Your username and password can be stored in the DSL modem (some newer ones do this) or you can connect using a connection that you make yourself.

Go To - Control Panel -> Network Connections
select make new connection and step through the screens making sure you pick the one that says it needs a username and password.

Your username is your full email address
username@sbcglobal.net

The password is the password for the email address.
This is the MASTER email address, since you can have other email addresses only the MASTER one will work.

If you get a router, you can configure the router to store this information and you do not need a login connection on your pc at all.

Collapse -
SBC DSL
by gmperry / June 17, 2005 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: SBC DSL

Have you tryed to disconnect power plug from the modom, for 2min.Plug power back in modom & restart computer. Good Luck. Gordon

Collapse -
dsl issue
by mikec_29 / July 19, 2005 1:13 AM PDT

my need to verify dsl connection thru modem reset ,reset uername@sbcglobal.net and password ...reset switch on bottom of sbc modems,5100 or newer...this is only good for single pc connected directly to modem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.