Windows 7 forum

Question

Cannot connect 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup

by shawny670 / June 15, 2012 5:26 PM PDT

I have 2 Windows 7 computers one is a Hp Laptop and another is a Compaq Desktop I have been dealing with this problem for quite awhile and each time i go to try and correct the trouble i get unbelievably frustrated as in the end i never seem to make any progress. I have attempted to create a home group from both machines and when i do create a homegroup the other IS able to see the other but when i attempt to join from either one to the one that has created it always yields an error stating that "window cannot setup homegroup on this computer" The desktop is hardwired to my Dlink router and the laptop is connected wirelessly. I have attempted to follow a number of various instructions that i have seen online from ppl explaining similar trouble but unfortunately nothing has solve my trouble. Please someone help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot connect 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot connect 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most common? The firewalls
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 3:24 AM PDT

Look for them in the router, PCs and today's antivirus suites.

Collapse -
Firewalls
by shawny670 / June 19, 2012 9:04 AM PDT

This continued to occur even after a clean re-install of OS 7 pro with absolutely no antivirus software installed yet and nothing but windows firewall. Also router firewall disabled.

Collapse -
When I set mine up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewalls

2 Desktops, one laptop, I did it this way;

Same workgroup for all - I'm not sure why mine is Workgroup and not Homegroup.

I set up the same windows account on each, eg, same username and same password account on each of the three.

I logged in to each using that same account and they all connected without any problems. All had firewalls turned on and all had anti-virus scanners not disabled.

I then had to set up shares as I wished, but that is a different story.

Is there anything I did that is different to you?

One of the desktops is XP (Pro) and the other 2 systems are Win 7 (Home Premium & Ultimate), but I didn't even have any problems with the XP

After it was all set up I deleted the account on 2 of the machines, but I still have the network and I have to input a username/password whenever I want to use the network.

Mark

Collapse -
firewall
by shawny670 / June 19, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: When I set mine up

Hey thanks for your input but this is not related to my original issue all of my computers are in the same workgroup and i am able to share network resources through that means just find my original topic is regarding trying to setup a homegroup which i am yet unable to do. I imagine part of the reason you didnt setup a homegroup is because xp is unable to join homegroups as it is a windows 7 only networking system. I would normally be fine simply using the "older" workgroup method but im trying to share media using dlna applications on other devices and apparently this can only be done if a homegroup has been setup as a media server which is where im having trouble because everytime i try to create one the other will not join.

Collapse -
Which is true until we setup the accounts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewalls

I cant' find where you did that.

Collapse -
firewall
by shawny670 / June 20, 2012 12:36 AM PDT

I dont understand you confusion.

Collapse -
Most don't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: firewall

I think this issue is well over 2 decades old now and still confuses folk.

In short, if I try to connect to a remote PC it needs to know me. That is, I must have an account on the remote PC.

Confuses the heck out of folk.
Bob

Collapse -
I also explained it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: firewall

in my earlier post.

Both machines must have the same login account, same username, same password to set up the share.

Mark

Collapse -
Homegroup
by shawny670 / June 20, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I also explained it

When you say share do you mean homegroup because i want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Both computers have different computer names but each have an admin account with the same username and password still i am unable to join the homegroup. I get the error "windows cannot setup a homegroup on this computer."

Collapse -
You're right, I should have made it clearer
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Homegroup

To set up the (home) network I needed the same Windows login account, same username and password, on each of the machines.

Sharing folders came later.

So since you have done that, disabled firewalls and anti-viruses, let's see what others had to do to get theirs working;

Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows 7 HomeGroup Connection Issues - Steps you may have missed.

Windows Cannot Setup HomeGroup on This Computer - Turned out to be a faulty router.

Windows cannot setup a homegroup on this computer error - A corrupt Windows 7 install was offered as a suggestion, but the poster never returned to say.

Why can't I create a homegroup? - Microsoft's own "Fix it" option, or if that fails, other suggestions.

See if any of those help.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
connecting 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup
by igivup2 / January 4, 2013 11:09 PM PST

I had a similar exasperating time setting up my Homegroup with similar W7 computers.

I was able to setup Homegroup ok using direct ethernet cables to both computers but laptop with wifi would not pickup Homegroup.

Spent good part of 2 days on this - laptop and Desktop
both W7 64-bit with same issues and tried all the troubleshooters and advice from forums until in desperation....
1. switched off the Thomson 585 router
2. unplugged all cables from Thomson 585 router,
3. restarted both computers
4.powered up router + ethernet cable to Desktop
5. ensured laptop using wifi only
6.started Homegroups on both computers
And lo! all was well with both computers seeing each other and fully available

7. Repeated exercise with BOTH computers using ethernet cables ... all OK
again.
8. Repeated 7. without unplugging router - ONLY switched it OFF/wait
30secs/switch ON again
9. Repeated 8. with laptop using wifi, Desktop ethernet. Only on one occasion was the laptop not picked up on wifi but switching the router OFF
and ON again and all was OK again.

So it appears that the Thomson 585 router can be a tad temperamental and not pick up the
wifi computer occasionally but will inialise successfully after a router
restart [button] even if laptop is elsewhere in the house.

Strange that this behaviour was not mentioned in any of the problem solvers
as it was such an easy solution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.