Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot Complete the network setup wizard!!!

by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 9:37 AM PDT

i just installed xp on my system and when i went to netwoks set up wizard it says

Cannot Complete the network setup wizard

The wizard cannot find your network hardware.

But my computer has everything because internet worked fine before i reinstalled xp..please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Complete the network setup wizard!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Complete the network setup wizard!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) anyone know why?
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 9:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Probably because you have a "pirate copy" of XP
by AussiePete / May 31, 2005 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) anyone know why?

You haven't addressed Bob Proffitt's question at this link
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=106537&messageID=1216483

If you are lucky to get your friends copy of XP working, which I gather you have achieved by making an image copy of his operating system, you will run into troubles with registering your Key numbers. If it is a pirate copy, Microsoft since SP1 has been come aware of such copies, and if you attempt to register one of these copies you will have Microsoft's Lawyers on your doorstep asking you to "please explain" - So do us and yourself a favour and get a legal copy of XP if the above is correct.
You say you dont have your original disks - If you have a legitimate license and have lost them, Microsoft will replace them for $45.

Collapse -
its a good cd
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 11:17 AM PDT

its a good cd...i installed everything...

for some reason i cant get the networking as described above...

i cant get sound to work either.

Collapse -
Define "a good copy" for me
by AussiePete / May 31, 2005 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: its a good cd

Last warning, IF it is not a legal copy, whether it be an OEM version or a retail version, and its not licensed to you, or if it is registered to someone else, either you or that "someone else" is going to have Microsoft knocking at your door.
Sooner or later when you or the "someone else" has to reactivate, bells will ring at Microsoft - Sinse XP SP1 all machines have a unique key number and these are checked with microsoft during activation or reactivation.
Be warned, the good days of copying M$ stuff has ended and the penalties are not pritty.

Collapse -
help please
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) anyone know why?

please...help me.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you install all the drivers required?
by glb613 / May 31, 2005 10:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
drivers?
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 10:27 AM PDT

what drivers? doenst everything come with xp? sorry for being so blunt but my brain is limited when it comes to computer stuff like this?

I installed xp...are the drivers in the xp cd or do i download them? Thanks.

Collapse -
Drivers.
by Papa Echo / May 31, 2005 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: drivers?

* Microsoft did not supply the MOBO
* Microsoft did not supply the Network adapters.
* Microsoft did not supply the Modem
* Microsoft did not supply most of the hardware...

What drivers supplied by Microsoft and included in the
XP CD are "Generic" and may not work properly.

Collapse -
so where do i get these drivers???
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Drivers.

thanks.

Collapse -
also...
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 2:27 PM PDT

i right clicked my computer, went to manage and went to device manager to see whats wrong and fund out that:

Under the "other devices" there is an yellow astrick beside "ethernet controller" and "multimedia audio controller"

when i went to properties of each, it says:

the drive for this device is not installed (code 12)
Click re-install to inntall the drivers bla bla

When i clicked reinstall it it searched for the software on my computer and found no software. then it asked me to install a cd/floppy if i had them...but i dont...

how do i get these drivers and how am i suppose to find out which drivers i need.

thanks a lot,

Collapse -
Detail
by phantazy / May 31, 2005 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: also...

I would download an analytical program like Bellarc, to find out what was on my system. Next I would go to the motherboard, chipset and modem sites and google with the appropriate model number, download all the updates, and re-review my device manager.

Collapse -
Correction
by phantazy / May 31, 2005 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Detail

I made a mistake in my last post, should have said Belarc Advisor.

Collapse -
Where to get drivers
by Papa Echo / May 31, 2005 7:36 PM PDT
In reply to: also...

Firstly, you have to know the device make and model, the manufactirer, etc. Go to their web site, where there is usually a link to Support or downloads, customer service, etc.

You can also try a third party site, such as THIS

Collapse -
paul...
by Purewinners / May 31, 2005 3:20 PM PDT

you said...

...Next I would go to the motherboard, chipset and modem sites..."

do you mean open up my computer and check the model number on my ethernet card?

Collapse -
Go to the computer manufacturer's web site
by glb613 / May 31, 2005 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: paul...

If it is not a custom built computer, go to the manufacturer's web site, click on support, enter your model number and get the drivers for your computer. If it is a custom or locally built, you will need to go to web site for each hardware component and download the drivers there.

Collapse -
Belarc Advisor Link
by auggief / May 31, 2005 8:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
belarc link
by Purewinners / June 1, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Belarc Advisor Link

the link that you posted is not showing up... can you please email it to customerservice @ purewinners . com

thanks.

Collapse -
Link
by billzhills / June 1, 2005 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: belarc link
Collapse -
belrac cant detect
by Purewinners / June 1, 2005 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: belarc link

i ran the belrac program and it says none detected for network devicez/adapters....what do i do now? Sad

Collapse -
unplug, open up, rermove ethernet card
by jonah jones / June 1, 2005 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: belrac cant detect

write down anything written/printed on the chips and/or card...

google each one.. 'hint' RLT is Realtek

when you find out who made it, go to makers site and download the drivers, copy to floppy/CD and when asked for the drivers (device manager will ask nicely) browse to floppy/CD drive

Collapse -
late reply
by phantazy / June 1, 2005 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: belrac cant detect

Your whole system is an agglomeration of parts, all made, and serviced, by different people; sometimes, but not always, used to dealing with different people. I can only help with my own example. I have a processor made by AMD.
I have a chipset and drivers, ethernet software,utilities, network connections, 1384 etc. made by Nvidia. Mt graphics card is ATi 9700 pro, made by Ati. My chosen o/s is Windows XP pro made by Microsoft.Now if one, or any of these don't function, or function badly, you step into a minefield of troubleshooting. I have only one remaining piece of advice, find out about your system in it's detail A.S.A.P. to save long term heartache and head scratching.

Collapse -
Ok fixed network card...
by Purewinners / June 1, 2005 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: late reply

I just found the floppy that came with my network card and installed the drivers...now its working...

But i still cant get the sound...under the device manager it says that the multimedia whatever is not installed properly...i have the cd that came with my soundcard but its still not working when i tried to install it...it says cant find the drivers

Collapse -
Whenever I've installed sound card
by glb613 / June 1, 2005 8:09 AM PDT

drivers, I ran the program first. Then I went into the device manager, uninstalled the sound or unknown device, rebooted the computer and it found the drivers. How did you install them?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.